British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-10-21, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk regt man View Post
Your Indian badge reminds me of something I have which is to the Norfolk regt. It’s a menu card holder, yours should have a riveted on base that comes up the back of your badge, it’s a heavy base that hold it all up, about 50 mm in dia and 6mm thick.
That's interesting. Mine does have rivets on the deity's feet which are obviously meant to be slotted into something. The whole piece is very heavy. Not sure what metal. Iron? It's certainly oxidised.
Old 21-10-21, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPC View Post
Thanks, as always, Leigh. Is the badge a repro of an actual badge that once existed? It's not in K&K. Is it meant to be a Connaught Rangers Glengarry badge and do you know where might I see a picture of what a real one should look like?

Thanks,

Tom
Tom,

I too believe that the Connaught Rangers badge you show is a reproduction. It is nominally the same as the approved design but the repro. does not have the correct piercing (voiding).

The badge is shown in K&K as KK 356. The design with the narrow harp being worn from 1881 to 1890 according to The Connaught Rangers. (The History of the Regiment.) By Lieut.-Colonel H.F.N. Jourdain ... and Edward Fraser, London 1924, see below. This first Glengarry Forage Cap badge is Sealed Pattern Number (SPN) 10009/1882 sealed on Feb. 2, 1882 (So Jourdain is slightly off in his dates, but otherwise he is very good on regimental insignia, his papers and notes are in the NA and IWM and go into some details on this subject.)

Also shown in KK (as KK357) is the second pattern with the (slightly) redesigned harp. The genuine HPC's and the glengarry badges found with the crowns integrally fitted have pierced/voided centres as shown in KK and in the regimental history (see attached). I have not found pattern numbers for the second design.

I have yet to see any non pierced example considered to be genuine.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1080170.jpg (34.3 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 21-10-21 at 07:47 AM. Reason: added."I have not found pattern numbers for the SECOND design".
Old 21-10-21, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
Tom,

I too believe that the Connaught Rangers badge you show is a reproduction. It is nominally the same as the approved design but the repro. does not have the correct piercing (voiding).

The badge is shown in K&K as KK 356. The design with the narrow harp being worn from 1881 to 1890 according to The Connaught Rangers. (The History of the Regiment.) By Lieut.-Colonel H.F.N. Jourdain ... and Edward Fraser, London 1924, see below. This first Glengarry Forage Cap badge is Sealed Pattern Number (SPN) 10009/1882 sealed on Feb. 2, 1882 (So Jourdain is slightly off in his dates, but otherwise he is very good on regimental insignia, his papers and notes are in the NA and IWM and go into some details on this subject.)

Also shown in KK (as KK357) is the second pattern with the (slightly) redesigned harp. The genuine HPC's and the glengarry badges found with the crowns integrally fitted have pierced/voided centres as shown in KK and in the regimental history (see attached). I have not found pattern numbers for the second design.

I have yet to see any non pierced example considered to be genuine.

John
Fantastically informative. Thank you, John. Can't understand why I missed them in K&K! (STOP PRESS: Oh, I see why I didn't find them - K&K have forgotten to describe or index KK356 and 357)

Last edited by TomPC; 21-10-21 at 08:34 AM.