British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-11-09, 09:32 PM

Default Excellent copy of the brass Canadian Parachute Corps badge

Ebay item 380136863410 For those of you who have not seen these badges I can tell you from personal experience that they are very well done. In fact I would say that they will fool anyone who is not familiar with the real thing. I picked up one that will go in the frame with my copy of the print "8 minutes after midnight" by Robert Bailey. Worst part for the uneducated is that these repro badges are made from proper weight brass stock and the lugs are convincing although positioned differently from my original badges. These put those crappy British fakes to shame as they are made in the correct style and are not copies of the officer's badge trying to be passed off as enlisted men's badges. Beware...

Last edited by Infanteer; 05-12-09 at 01:04 AM.
Old 04-12-09, 09:57 PM

Some photos.... look close so that you don't get stung by one of these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1CPB collection 010a.jpg (50.6 KB, 211 views)
Old 04-12-09, 10:00 PM

Reverse. Note that the brass is the proper thickness to the naked eye and the lugs are convincing as well. These are being sold as repros but it's only a matter of time before they turn up on various dealer's tables and websites.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1CPB collection 011a.jpg (56.0 KB, 186 views)
Old 04-12-09, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Steve. They are an impressive copy.
Your first post in this string has me thinking. CPC is the official abbreviation of the Canadian Postal Corps. Is the official abbreviation for the airborne, C Para C?
Old 05-12-09, 01:03 AM

No, I don't think so since there officially never was a parachute corps in Canada. There is a good explanation of how the badge came to be in the book "Into the Maelstrom". I'm not a badge collector per se, and so sometimes I use terms and abbreviations that are specific to my group of friends and because I am lazy sometimes. I've fixed the title of the thread.
Old 05-12-09, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Steve, You actually raised a good question. All the regiments and corps of the Canadian army had official abbreviations and were expected to use them. The abbreviation was used on metal titles, cloth shoulder titles, letter head, in communication, etc. The posting got me thinking about what the official abbreviation for the Canadian Parachute Corps was.
I am in frequent contact with Ken Joyce, and I emailed him about the official abbreviation, and he said that to the best of his knowledge there isn't one.
Old 05-12-09, 05:41 PM

Like I said, I can understand that there was no official abbreviation for the Canadian Parachute Corps as this never existed, but surely there would have been an abbreviation for 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion... 1 CPB?
Old 05-12-09, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infanteer View Post
Ebay item 380136863410 For those of you who have not seen these badges I can tell you from personal experience that they are very well done. In fact I would say that they will fool anyone who is not familiar with the real thing. I picked up one that will go in the frame with my copy of the print "8 minutes after midnight" by Robert Bailey. Worst part for the uneducated is that these repro badges are made from proper weight brass stock and the lugs are convincing although positioned differently from my original badges. These put those crappy British fakes to shame as they are made in the correct style and are not copies of the officer's badge trying to be passed off as enlisted men's badges. Beware...
Ok Mr Steve the pictures your showing is fake! I would of never known, that's a great Repo Indeed. I even took the real one put the picture side by side and not noticeable.

Well thanks for the Heads-up

Well give credit to the seller for their honesty! I posted his Picture of the Fake one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4663_12.jpg (41.6 KB, 143 views)
Old 07-12-09, 04:56 PM

WOW this copy certainly is a very very scary one. I too pulled out my badge to see the differences. OUCH, closest I have seen yet.
Why do I have a sick felling in the pit of my stomach about the future of badge collecting?

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 08-12-09, 02:59 AM

Tell me about it. I was just at a gun show in Edmonton this weekend and an elderly gentleman was selling one of these repros as original... already!!! I carefully brought the subject up and explained why I believed the badge to be a repro and even had one (repro) in hand to show that they are exactly the same. Unfortunately, he bought it as original and was reluctant to take my word, even with an example in hand. He never did lower his price after I left because someone else told him that it was good. Problem is that other people are not aware of these repros yet and so they don't know what to look for. Sadly, as the quality of repros/fakes improves and they get cheaper and cheaper to manufacture it is only a matter of time before this hobby goes the way of German Third Reich insignia.....

There are at least three points to look for but I'm reluctant to discuss them for fear that they may be improved upon or hidden through artificial wear....

Last edited by Infanteer; 09-12-09 at 01:00 AM.
Old 08-12-09, 10:45 AM

Default Good Point

I totaly agree the fakes and high quality reproductions will do nothing more than destroy the industry (it has long stopped being a hobby) and eventually everything will be suspect. Why anyone would want to own an exact copy is beyond me, I can understand placeholder pieces and re-enactor kit, but does it have to be so exact as to be undetectable form the real item? As far as I am concerned these exact copies are manufactured for one purpose and one purpose only, to deceive.
Old 10-12-09, 03:07 AM

A couple of more photos to try to show some details. I am redoing this post to save some bandwidth rather than adding more and more photos. These photos show the vital points. Compare with an original.

Stippling on back side of chute.
Small nick on chute (present on all fakes so far).
Stippling and crispness of lettering of scroll.
Placement of lugs.

After giving it some thought, some of these details will be pretty much impossible to improve after the fact, but the manufacturer can improve upon them if he wants to fool people, which I don't think he does... unless these are the rejects and perfect copies already exist..... Just fooling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1CPB collection 001 (2).jpg (48.5 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 1CPB collection 004.jpg (54.4 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg 1CPB collection 002 (2).jpg (36.7 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg 1CPB collection 006.JPG (67.4 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg 1CPB collection 001.jpg (60.8 KB, 136 views)

Last edited by Infanteer; 15-12-09 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-12-09, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infanteer View Post
One more photo to try to show some details. Unfortunately, some details don't become apparent until the badge is in hand, but this photo shows at least two things to look for. Wish I could provide a better image but my photography skills are lacking.
No Worries Your Photo Skills are not Bad! And the Two things Are??????

This looks very real to me Sir
Old 10-12-09, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recce View Post
This looks very real to me Sir
Well that's the problem, isn't it.... these are two of the same repro badges. If you think they're real then expect to get stung down the road when these types of badges make their way into collector's hands

Best advice I can give is study known originals so that when you see a good repro the incorrect details will be apparent.

I have edited the above post and shown more photos and given some points to look for.

Last edited by Infanteer; 15-12-09 at 08:47 PM.
Old 16-12-09, 07:23 AM

New photos added....