British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-08-18, 10:52 PM

Default Royal Highland Fusiliers [Pipe Major]

Hi Guys,

Attached are some images of an example of the Royal Highland Fusiliers [Pipe Major] head dress badge.

It is a twice mounted (three part) piece held together with screw threads and nuts. The silver parts look silver plated due to the amount of tarnish visible.

The lugs are those associated with modern Firmin/TKS cap badges.

As such, this looks like a modern piece and reasonably well made.

Questions:

1. Would I be correct in thinking that there would only be a small amount (possibly one) badge for the Pipe Major of the Royal Highland Fusiliers now the 2nd Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland?

2. Due to such small quanities required would there be any reason to replenish stores with modern examples post an initial St. Edwards Crown issue?

I'm guessing that the example shown is a modern repro piece and that any example in current use would be pre 1993.

Regards,

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RHF Pipe Major Obverse.jpg (101.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg RHF Pipe Major Reverse.jpg (118.2 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by hagwalther; 31-08-18 at 12:31 AM.
Old 31-08-18, 05:37 AM

Hi Chris
Does the 2nd Bttn RRS wear the old RHF badge in the band? I thought they wore the new badge?
As for the PM badges, there can't be many. The one shown in the Piper's Badges gallery is the first one issued and that was in 1983, prior to that there was no 'staff' badge for pipers and the PM wore the standard piper's badge. Your badge looks ok to me and may just be an unissued example?
Cheers,
Alex
Old 31-08-18, 05:38 AM

I have one, I think that there are lots of them around along with the white metal version, also of RHF of Canada.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180831_071411519~2.jpg (60.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180831_071422697~2.jpg (62.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180831_071543216~2.jpg (45.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180831_071548109~2.jpg (54.8 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 31-08-18 at 06:29 AM.
Old 31-08-18, 08:33 AM

I tried to google RHF pipe majors to see if I could find a roll of them but no luck, that would give an idea of how many badges were issued. Between 1983 and 2003 there couldn't have been more than 10 PM's I would guess.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 31-08-18, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
I tried to google RHF pipe majors to see if I could find a roll of them but no luck, that would give an idea of how many badges were issued. Between 1983 and 2003 there couldn't have been more than 10 PM's I would guess.
Cheers,
Alex
16 listed here ( one name listed for a second time):

http://1rhf.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26&p=78

Memory fails but I have an idea that when I showed an ex-Staff Sgt of 1RHF my badge he told me that Gavin Stoddart was the first Pipe Major to wear the bi-metal badge.

Having just checked the period Stoddart was Pipe Major of 1RHF, 1979-87, then it looks like he was the first to wear the badge.

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 31-08-18 at 08:56 AM.
Old 31-08-18, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Hi Chris
Does the 2nd Bttn RRS wear the old RHF badge in the band? I thought they wore the new badge?
As for the PM badges, there can't be many. The one shown in the Piper's Badges gallery is the first one issued and that was in 1983, prior to that there was no 'staff' badge for pipers and the PM wore the standard piper's badge. Your badge looks ok to me and may just be an unissued example?
Cheers,
Alex
Hi Alex,

Not sure what the band wears as at the mo just trying to work out if my Pipe Major badge is a genuine one or not. My gut feeling is that my badge is a repro commissioned by a non military source as there would only be one Pipe Major at a time and therefore only one badge required. As the first ones were issued in 1983 (as you say) it would seem to me that this initial batch was not liable to be used up any time soon with the badge being returned to stores as the Pipe Major changed.

Any other thoughts?

I also, have no official modern info on the Pipe Major badge which seems to imply that it is a regimentally acquired item.

Hi Leigh,

I also have your example of the single metal pipers badge. Mine is cast with the obverse chromed. The reverse is pretty rough with cast pitting and edges crudely filed down. It has gold paint painted in the reverse of the grenade and 'C9' marked onto the paint with a black marker pen.

To be honest, it is a pretty poor attempt.

Regards,

Chris
Old 31-08-18, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Having just checked the period Stoddart was Pipe Major of 1RHF, 1979-87, then it looks like he was the first to wear the badge.
Thanks Leigh,

If Pipe Major Stoddard held one of the initial batches from 1983 until 1987 then how many more badges would be needed from 1987 to present day assuming he returned his badge to stores? Would the initial batch cover these 30 odd years? Would susequent batches be required?

Dunno.

Regards,

Chris
Old 31-08-18, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post

Hi Leigh,

I also have your example of the single metal pipers badge. Mine is cast with the obverse chromed. The reverse is pretty rough with cast pitting and edges crudely filed down. It has gold paint painted in the reverse of the grenade and 'C9' marked onto the paint with a black marker pen.

To be honest, it is a pretty poor attempt.

Regards,

Chris
The cast "w/m" badge I have is presumably plated, it is a dull silver colour with a yellow "glow" on the obverse, the reverse is more of a frosted silver effect.
I'm assuming it's repro, although I suppose there's a remote possibility that RHF, like RRF with their Drummer's fur cap RHQ commissioned Pakistani cast badge of 1979/80 had the cast badges run up.
With the RRF badge the point was to overcome the neck of the flames breakages of the die-struck version, not a problem with the RHF star.
Wonder why the gold paint and "C9" on your badge? An attempt to make the badge identifiable as belonging to an individual or as a serial numbered issue?
Old 31-08-18, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
The cast "w/m" badge I have is presumably plated, it is a dull silver colour with a yellow "glow" on the obverse, the reverse is more of a frosted silver effect.
I'm assuming it's repro, although I suppose there's a remote possibility that RHF, like RRF with their Drummer's fur cap RHQ commissioned Pakistani cast badge of 1979/80 had the cast badges run up.
With the RRF badge the point was to overcome the neck of the flames breakages of the die-struck version, not a problem with the RHF star.
Wonder why the gold paint and "C9" on your badge? An attempt to make the badge identifiable as belonging to an individual or as a serial numbered issue?
Hi Leigh,

I'll try and get some images to you tomorrow - failing that it will be Monday.

Regards,

Chris
Old 31-08-18, 11:28 AM

Thanks. Presumably the marks are an attempt to add "authenticity".
Or possibly the badge is a civilian pipe band item?
Old 02-09-18, 08:14 AM

Here is the Piper badge.

Casting marks to reverse can be seen and the rough edges that I thought were originally filed away. On looking closer one can see a small lip all around the edge of the badge implying that the reverse die was created deliberately with the missing detail areas.

Any further information on the Pipe Major badges previously discussed would be welcomed.

Regards,

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RHF.jpg (117.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg RHF Obverse.jpg (107.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg RHF Rough.jpg (91.8 KB, 9 views)