British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-05-16, 04:24 PM

Default Royal Welsh Fusiliers Officer's Bearskin Grenade

Hello All

I have recently picked up the badge pictured below which I believe to be the RWF Officer's Bearskin Grenade. The only others I have seen have had silvered plumes but this one has much darker plumes, is it a variation or has the silver plating been removed, the badge was pretty dirty when I got it.

This is not my area of collecting so I will be up front and admit the main purpose of my post is to see if anyone can tell me how much it is worth in this condition. There is still a good amount of gilding remaining on the ball of the grenade and flames. I will be looking to sell this badge and if anyone is interested then I would prefer to sell on this forum rather than elsewhere so offers are welcome.

I appreciate this type of post is not to everyone's taste but I am unsure of it's value, the only other one I've seen is on a dealer's site, is almost pristine and is £295, not much to go on but a lot more than I would expect for this one.

Many thanks in advance

Paddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0183.jpg (37.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0195.jpg (33.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0194.jpg (24.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0193.jpg (45.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0185.jpg (64.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0187.jpg (54.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0191.jpg (47.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 11-05-16, 05:29 PM

Paddy.

You are correct in that its is an Officers Beakskin Cap grenade to the RWF.

It is gilt, some remaining with Silvered POW Feathers, all of which of the silvering is gone.

The feathers have lost a securing wire and are now slightly loose.

Bearing all that in mind I dont rate it much above £50.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 11-05-16, 05:39 PM

Simon

Many thanks, forgot to mention about the wires. As you spotted, one is missing, one is firm and intact and the other is the original wire but has been re-attached.

Paddy
Old 11-05-16, 05:54 PM

Paddy,

This is how they should look, from 12 o'clock;- Officer -Militia Batt'n, Officer-Vol Batt'n, Senior NCO-Regular Batt'n, Senior NCO-Vol Batt'n, Officer-Regular Batt'n (this one has been broken off at the neck of the grenade at some time and re-attached).

Hwyl,

Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04723.jpg (86.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04725.jpg (95.8 KB, 25 views)
Old 11-05-16, 10:28 PM

41st, Could I ask what the date span (is that English) for the badges? I am guessing roughly 1881-1914 but it would be interesting to know.
Old 12-05-16, 06:29 PM

Kevin

Many thanks, I did have a look at your album before I made the post and was mainly looking for confirmation on the coating of the plumes as I was a bit surprised how completely the silver plating had been stripped off. Nice set of badges you have shown and looks like a very neat repair to the neck of the grenade although it does seem to have reduced the overall height of the neck quite a bit.

Paddy
Old 12-05-16, 09:23 PM

Paddy,

Yes the repair has rather reduced the neck, however I rather like badges like this and I have a couple of officers' helmet plates that have had the crowns changed from Queens to Kings' crown. They have all been well executed and add something to the history in my view.

jf42

I am afraid I cannot give you exact dates as yet, but this style of grenade was worn by the RWF from about 1865 when the shako was replaced by a fur cap of fusilier pattern, different patterns of grenade were worn on the bearskins worn earlier in the history of the RWF. Bands apart most line regiments abandoned full dress after 1914 as you say.

Hwyl,

Kevin
Old 12-05-16, 10:01 PM

Kevin & Simon

Many thanks again for your comments, as there was no interest on here it has now been listed on a certain auction web site, warts & all.

Paddy