British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Closed Thread

Old 18-03-14, 08:55 PM
Former Member

Just a few years ago someone suggested that for our mess summer party, which was WW2 themed, we should invite a local reenactment group to come along with their WW2 US vehicles and aircraft! This happened and they all turned up with, Jeeps, half tracked vehicles, mock fighter planes and all the individuals adorned in authentic WW2 uniforms!!!!!!

What an eye opener, these "Nutters", apparently get dressed up most weekends and disappear from their "NORMAL" everyday lives and truly believe they were part of the Normandy landings!

I spoke to one bloke in his mid thirties (I've just turned 50) who told me how things were in June 1944 when he "Hit the Beach", the really sad thing was he believed it!

My advice is collect the insignia not the persona of those who wore them, if you do then you're Flaming nuts!

Andy
Old 18-03-14, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Just a few years ago someone suggested that for our mess summer party, which was WW2 themed, we should invite a local reenactment group to come along with their WW2 US vehicles and aircraft! This happened and they all turned up with, Jeeps, half tracked vehicles, mock fighter planes and all the individuals adorned in authentic WW2 uniforms!!!!!!

What an eye opener, these "Nutters", apparently get dressed up most weekends and disappear from their "NORMAL" everyday lives and truly believe they were part of the Normandy landings!

I spoke to one bloke in his mid thirties (I've just turned 50) who told me how things were in June 1944 when he "Hit the Beach", the really sad thing was he believed it!

My advice is collect the insignia not the persona of those who wore them, if you do then you're Flaming nuts!

Andy
Yes Andy but tell us what you really think and stop sitting on the fence !
PL
Old 18-03-14, 09:03 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
Yes Andy but tell us what you really think and stop sitting on the fence !
PL
Paul,
We all got shit faced and as far as I can recall it was an effort to make the 5 o'clock mess breakfast, but they stayed sober to defend the perimeter, we did not allow them to dig in on the croquet lawn but that did not stop them from erecting sand bag bunkers! warning sign

Off the fence I think they're F***ing Nuts and sorry for the crude language but this is the odd occasion when an only expletive truly delivers a frank description!

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 19-03-14 at 06:59 AM.
Old 18-03-14, 09:13 PM

Have to agree,they are a bit crackers & Andy i had you down as older than that !!! funny how you think people are i,m not far behind you with the big 50

Gerard
Old 18-03-14, 09:27 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb64 View Post
Have to agree,they are a bit crackers & Andy i had you down as older than that !!! funny how you think people are i,m not far behind you with the big 50

Gerard
Gerard,
OMG, I'm still a relative youngster when it comes to badge collecting, I hope it's a good 20 years or so before I become a miserable badge fart (MBF), sorry if this offends anyone falling in to this category but have you guys ever considered spending your OAP on getting dressed up as General Patton and gate crashing a Mess function? You won't get to dance with the posh hotties but you'll get a few free pints and be able to crash out on the officers mess lawn!

That sounds a little arrogant but I'm a council house lad really and feel very uneasy about Fruit Loops who get dressed up as Overlorder's at the weekend? I'm also uneasy with the opinion that you have to be residing in God's Waiting Room to be able to have the slightest knowledge about badge collecting!

Andy
Old 18-03-14, 09:33 PM

Andy agree 100%

Gerard
Old 18-03-14, 09:36 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb64 View Post
Andy agree 100%

Gerard
Gerard,
Not a sentiment shared by some of those residing in your county!

Very best regards and the very best of wishes l

Andy
Old 18-03-14, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockape560 View Post
eddie ,

as a former member of the udr,both full and part time,i was shocked when you seem to compare the udr with the w"""kers that pop is disecribing.
in the end you admit the udr were fighting against a determined enemy. many paid the ultimate price,mainly off duty,but to compare them to those that dress up at fairs etc is out of order in my view.
Philip,
What meant was the various descriptions of the people reminded me of the mixture in many UDR platoons, but all the UDR members put their uniforms on to face a very determined enemy, not to strut about & pose for no good reason.
Sorry for any misunderstanding.
Eddie
Old 18-03-14, 10:20 PM

I was at Farnham last year talking to Rod Flood when a young woman dressed up in all her FANY gear approached and asked Rod if he had a FANY button I wanted to tell her she was at the wrong type of fair!!! Don't know how Rod kept a straight face, classic
Wilf
Old 18-03-14, 10:28 PM

If people want to "re-enact", they can start by getting in shape and meeting the fitness standards of whoever they are portraying. Then thay can start digging.
When you've been in the army, the novelty wears off quickly.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 18-03-14, 10:39 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orasot View Post
I was at Farnham last year talking to Rod Flood when a young woman dressed up in all her FANY gear approached and asked Rod if he had a FANY button I wanted to tell her she was at the wrong type of fair!!! Don't know how Rod kept a straight face, classic
Wilf
Steve,
Have you got any photos of her showing her FANY gear!

Andy
Old 18-03-14, 10:41 PM
LYPAO Boff

I cant contain my admiration.........

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 18-03-14, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
I cant contain my admiration.........

Hilarious!
Old 18-03-14, 10:56 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewley View Post
Hilarious!
Fat Bast**d!

Last edited by 2747andy; 19-03-14 at 06:57 AM.
Old 18-03-14, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Fat bastard!
Not a lot you can say after that is there!

Are you sure it was a militaria shop you went into at lunchtime and not a pub!
Closed Thread