British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-06-13, 04:53 PM

I have had discussions with Ken Joyce on a small booklet detailing wings and other insignia. These would be reproduced in full colour, front and back, and information on construction, etc.. Unlike "Maelstrom" this would also include the problematic postwar wings.
No date on this yet but will keep you all advised.
Clive
Old 11-06-13, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
I have had discussions with Ken Joyce on a small booklet detailing wings and other insignia. These would be reproduced in full colour, front and back, and information on construction, etc.. Unlike "Maelstrom" this would also include the problematic postwar wings.
No date on this yet but will keep you all advised.
Clive
Great idea! One that people could purchase and carry with them when they are on the hunt.
Please kep us updated.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 11-06-13, 05:40 PM

Excellent stuff Clive! I look forward to purchasing a copy. I am aware that there are several controversial wings, which includes the first one posted in this thread that depending on the collector / dealer, the opinions vary.

I do have some post-war wings from 1st Can Para vets who remained in the army long after the war. Like previously mentioned, when I get a free moment, I will get some pictures up for all to see.
Old 11-06-13, 06:24 PM

These wings were given to me by a former member of the PPCLI who had been a jumper in the 1950s and 1960s.
The top wing has the black mesh and starch back which has been mentioned in other posts as being a later (1960s) issue. The first wing in the hread, posted by Tanker Mike appears to have a black mesh, but no starch. Correct me if I am wrong.
The lower wing that I have pictured has the black cotton backing. I have a similar one that I received in a lot of 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion badges that were attributed to one veteran. In a previous thread, I was told that the wing was not wartime. This will be shown in my next post.

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tait Obv.jpg (80.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Tait Rev.jpg (96.7 KB, 22 views)

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 11-06-13 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-06-13, 06:33 PM

As mentioned in my previous post, this is the wing that I got as part of a veteran attributed lot - It included 1 Can Para officer's cap and collar badges, canvas battalion flash, pair of canvas div patches, canvas AIRBORNE strip, gold epaulette loop and melton AIRBORNE/CANADA.

Infanteer suggested that it is a post war wing. I cannot say either way.
Please follow the link to the relevant thread.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...rachute&page=4

After pouring over Lou Grimshaw's and Ken Joyce's books, I really wouldn't be able to tell a wartime from a post war wing other than (what I think to be the obvious) - if it has the mesh on the reverse, it must be post war.

I am finding the pictures in Ken Joyce's book are not really clear enough to make out details. There is also the issue of wings that were trimmed, worn and had been through the wash and were distorted so I am having a hard time getting an idea of the proportions of the elements of the wings - maple leaf/parachute/wings.

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Besteck Obv.jpg (43.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Besteck Rev.jpg (49.5 KB, 18 views)

Old 11-06-13, 11:51 PM

I would really love to see wartime wings and post war colour photos of front and back in a much clearer detail. I'd pay whatever the cost of that book.
Old 12-06-13, 12:12 AM

Hello Gents,

Let me start by correcting myself in a previous post in this thread with regards to ‘wing types’. If we are using Ken Joyce’s book as our guide, then the wing I posted previously would actually be a type 2 wing and NOT a type 1.

Please see the pictures I have posted. Yes, they are sideways, this way I figured you can get a better look at them on your computer screen. I can’t find my loose type 3 wing at the moment, however I will post a picture of one on a uniform separately.

The wing on the very bottom is apparently a U.S. production style wing, similar to the type 2 but more compact. The backing is also easily identifiable being a larger weave backing.

When you look at the reverse side of the wings I posted, I have placed the two types of backings commonly seen with the type 6 production.

I hope this assists those on the hunt for Canadian wings!

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WW2 Canadian Wings - front.jpg (48.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg WW2 Canadian Wings - back.jpg (46.7 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by cw2311; 12-06-13 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-06-13, 12:14 AM

Here is a type 3 wing below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WW2 Canadian type 3 wing.jpg (45.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 12-06-13, 12:20 AM

Here are a few post-war wings for your viewing. There are obviously many other versions out there. The lower wing belonged to Ken Arril who continued to serve with PPCLI post WW2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Post-war wing front.jpg (76.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Post-war wing back.jpg (66.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 12-06-13, 12:26 AM

Lastly, here is a picture of a ‘type 1’ wing from Veteran, Sgt D. Harris. Darrel “Bucky” Harris was in the very first group of Canadian Paratroopers trained. These are the Canadian wings he was issued at the time. He was proud of them, so he glued them to his U.S. jump certificate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WW2 Type 1 wing - Darrel Harris.jpg (50.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg WW2 Type 1 wing - close up.jpg (35.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 12-06-13, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Parr View Post
I would really love to see wartime wings and post war colour photos of front and back in a much clearer detail. I'd pay whatever the cost of that book.
Hey!

I can print off nice detailed colour pictures for you as reference for a very small fee!
Old 13-06-13, 04:14 PM

Default And another wing for i.d.

Hi
Had this wing for some time but am flummoxed as to model, type and period.
Granted the white silk thread is somewhat soiled but the maple leaf definitely looks akin to khaki. However, the back shows the maple leaf in a paler shade.!
Appreciate help in positively i.d.ing
GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CanadaWings_0001.jpg (38.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg CanadaWings_0002.jpg (39.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 14-06-13, 05:40 AM

Hello GTB,

It looks like a WW2 Type 4 to me.

Stand By for further opinions.

Paul
Old 14-06-13, 05:43 AM

CW2311,

Thanks very much for the great scan of the WW2 wings front and back.

I've been trying to do this for some time but only have scans of the Types 4,5,6 front and back. I'm sure all the other wing collectors will appreciate your time and effort.

Thanks again

Paul

Last edited by 3battalion; 14-06-13 at 05:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 16-06-13, 10:31 PM

Default hands up in despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
As mentioned in my previous post, this is the wing that I got as part of a veteran attributed lot - It included 1 Can Para officer's cap and collar badges, canvas battalion flash, pair of canvas div patches, canvas AIRBORNE strip, gold epaulette loop and melton AIRBORNE/CANADA.

Infanteer suggested that it is a post war wing. I cannot say either way.
Please follow the link to the relevant thread.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...rachute&page=4

After pouring over Lou Grimshaw's and Ken Joyce's books, I really wouldn't be able to tell a wartime from a post war wing other than (what I think to be the obvious) - if it has the mesh on the reverse, it must be post war.

I am finding the pictures in Ken Joyce's book are not really clear enough to make out details. There is also the issue of wings that were trimmed, worn and had been through the wash and were distorted so I am having a hard time getting an idea of the proportions of the elements of the wings - maple leaf/parachute/wings.

Phil
I am not going to get the scissors out to seek out Nirvana !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1st Can Para Btn001.jpg (85.4 KB, 24 views)