British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-02-11, 01:15 PM
1stmotors

Default SSF badges

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX]

Last edited by 1stmotors; 19-06-11 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-02-11, 03:11 AM

See this thread. http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=7716
Old 06-02-11, 11:41 AM
1stmotors

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Last edited by 1stmotors; 19-06-11 at 11:41 PM.
Old 14-02-11, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stmotors View Post
Thankyou Joe

I missed seeing that thread completely. If I had seen that sooner, I would not have purchased the fake with black sword from a January auction. You win some and you lose some.

Not to question our experts on this forum, but if indeed a fake, why so much work put into it including the heavy plastic backing material. I also remember Louis Grimshaw in an email to me a while back, stating that there were many, many, proto-types and proposed variations going around base of many types of badges at that time. Makes you wonder EH.

Regards Tom
Nothing to wonder about. In my mind there are only two SSF patches - the merrowed for the jump smock and the melton for the CF/DEU. No great dilemma.
Good to see that you edited your post.

Phil

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 14-02-11 at 01:50 PM.
Old 16-02-11, 06:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
Nothing to wonder about. In my mind there are only two SSF patches - the merrowed for the jump smock and the melton for the CF/DEU. No great dilemma.
Good to see that you edited your post.

Phil

Whoever I just came back to give a 101 lesson on OSONS patches with Source.

If you bothered to visit the Airborne Museum or even read the book written
by Thomas Clark & Harry, page 145-146, you'll see there's 4- OSONS Patches.

1- OSONS Patch Dress Gold Bullion Wings & scroll, silver Bullion Sword, black lettering, on green wool back ground worn by Officers on dress Uniforms.
( He marks Unconfirmed, Whoever I know Its real since I saw 3 at the CAR reunion worn by officers, and seen them in 6 CAR Collections) { C-P-97 }

2- OSONS Patch Dress Gold Wings and scroll, silver sword black letters and detail on BLACK background. For wear on summer Tan uniform. { C-P-95 }

3- OSONS Patch Dress Gold Wings and scroll, silver sword black letters and details on dark green background. For wear on Dress uniform. { C-P-94 }

4- You get Two jump smocks when U join CAR, the one worn on Garrison the other for Combat. OSONS patches are not worn in Combat, thats why they commissioned the one thats completely Subdued Green, whoever for some reason after producing, they shelved them.

Therefore there's 5- OSONS Patches.

If you ever see OSONS Patch in Bullion contact me I'll gladly give you $500.00

See you all

Last edited by Bill A; 16-02-11 at 06:42 PM.
Old 16-02-11, 06:51 PM

Sure, if you say so.

Phil

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 16-02-11 at 08:10 PM.
Old 16-02-11, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Recce, The source quoted has been criticized for its accuracy, and information in that reference must be verified. It is not a well documented reference, and there are errors.
Old 16-02-11, 09:44 PM

I dont know, but how about using a source of us collectors who actually wore it on our shoulders and payed attention to those sorts of things?

Colin
ex SSF
Old 16-02-11, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Certainly a good place to start. I believe Phil served with the SSF, and his observations are based on his time in. What are your observations?
Old 16-02-11, 11:00 PM

I have the same ideas as Phil's and he was in the SSF, that's where I met him. I only ever saw the two patterns and the DEU patch was the same for the tans and the greens. I was in 2 SVC Bn in 84 as well and there were not many variations being worn back then either. It is possible a subdued one was produced and maybe worn by a few guys for a while but I can see no reason why they would have stopped it? Bit of a waste of money.

I never saw a SSF smock with the subdued patch. People can wish all they want, it dosn't make it true.

I say again. I have been collecting badges and uniforms since 1980 so I was paying attention to these things whilst I was there, not just a troopie who didnt care.

Last edited by colin 17; 17-02-11 at 01:30 AM.
Old 16-02-11, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Colin, that sure is what I have put together over the years. I have had many friends and fellow collectors in the SSF, and their opinion is the same as you and Phil. Two patterns of patches, the DEU, and the jump smock pattern.
IIRC, the subdued pattern only surfaced in the 90's, and I have never seen it on a SSF member, or heard one say they wore it.
Old 16-02-11, 11:25 PM

Just as a side note I took the FRP in 1995 and was given the 10 months paid leave but was still reg force. I was parading with the CH of O as sort of a volunteer. On parades there I was still wearing my SSF patch on my DEUs till early 1996 when I became a reservist and switched badges to 33 Bgd. Possibly the last guy wearing the SSF patch semi legaly?
Old 17-02-11, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recce View Post

Whoever I just came back to give a 101 lesson on OSONS patches with Source.

If you bothered to visit the Airborne Museum or even read the book written
by Thomas Clark & Harry, page 145-146, you'll see there's 4- OSONS Patches.

1- OSONS Patch Dress Gold Bullion Wings & scroll, silver Bullion Sword, black lettering, on green wool back ground worn by Officers on dress Uniforms.
( He marks Unconfirmed, Whoever I know Its real since I saw 3 at the CAR reunion worn by officers, and seen them in 6 CAR Collections) { C-P-97 }

2- OSONS Patch Dress Gold Wings and scroll, silver sword black letters and detail on BLACK background. For wear on summer Tan uniform. { C-P-95 }

3- OSONS Patch Dress Gold Wings and scroll, silver sword black letters and details on dark green background. For wear on Dress uniform. { C-P-94 }

4- You get Two jump smocks when U join CAR, the one worn on Garrison the other for Combat. OSONS patches are not worn in Combat, thats why they commissioned the one thats completely Subdued Green, whoever for some reason after producing, they shelved them.

Therefore there's 5- OSONS Patches.

If you ever see OSONS Patch in Bullion contact me I'll gladly give you $500.00

See you all

Res ipsa loquitur

Phil

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 17-02-11 at 02:46 AM.
Old 17-02-11, 03:54 AM

Default Fantasy Bullion SSF patches..

Just a note on the BULLION(SO CALLED OFFICERS) SSF shoulder patches.There are a few examples around here and all are a product of a certain eastern Ontario Militaria dealer who had them made in Pakistan or India. I actually saw the letter including a control sample he sent to the manufacturer to have the bogus flashes made up. They are of actually great quality and would lend themselves well to some fantasy concoction about Officers wear.
And just a reiteration of a former post,..as someone who spent alot of time over two decades at CFB London as both a senior cadet and 4TH Battalion RCR Reserve soldier,I had the privilege of knowing and training with hundreds of 1st Battalion RCR Soldiers spanning a good portion of their SSF time and never saw any of these subdued types that showed up in the mid 90's after the forces demise.The same goes for the now debunked so called Officers flashes.If anyone had the balls to wear the bullion flashes ,they probably bought them from this dealer. Phil is absolutely correct in his description of the authorized flashes from my experience.
just my 2 cents.....M.
Old 17-02-11, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin 17 View Post
Just as a side note I took the FRP in 1995 and was given the 10 months paid leave but was still reg force. I was parading with the CH of O as sort of a volunteer. On parades there I was still wearing my SSF patch on my DEUs till early 1996 when I became a reservist and switched badges to 33 Bgd. Possibly the last guy wearing the SSF patch semi legaly?
Thats a great story Colin and I actually remember a few guys from 4th Battalion still wearing the flash as well including my cousin(a LT. at the time)who was wearing it as a driver to Strome Galloway at a regimental function.
Of course he too likes to think he was the last guy to wear it...