British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-08-16, 11:36 AM

IMG_20160830_123359202.jpg. Just had a close look at mine, would you say its seeded?
Old 30-08-16, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
As for the regtl museum's brass one - I fear that it has been donated as a 'rare WW1 all brass badge' and the museum has repeated the fallacy that such a badge was produced as a wartime saving measure when it is untrue and thus given a legitimacy to a fake.
The dates in the descriptions of some other badges suggests this acceptance of donated information was common practice.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 30-08-16, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dg View Post
Attachment 155190. Just had a close look at mine, would you say its seeded?
Yes, have a close look at the badge images I posted in post # 39 to spot the differences.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 30-08-16, 09:00 PM

That's pleasing, slightly less than yours but still seeded, different manufacturer maybe? Had mine about 30 or so years now.
Old 30-08-16, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
Yours is an officers badge if solid silver or nco's badge if plated or w/m.

Remember that there was a strong tradition within the KOSB to wear the oldest badge possible, either handed down from ancestors who served earlier, hence the tradition, or bought wherever possible, which muddles the discussion about what is original and what is not.

Attached pic was taken in Irak. Note the Victorian pattern badges.

Rgds, Thomas.
Just noticed on the soldiers in Iraq photo, the second man in appears to have an unfretted round bottom scroll, can't make out the crown though
Old 30-08-16, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dg View Post
Just noticed on the soldiers in Iraq photo, the second man in appears to have an unfretted round bottom scroll, can't make out the crown though
See post # 35.
Old 31-08-16, 07:59 AM

Got it, thanks
Old 05-12-16, 11:17 PM

I have just joined the forum and come across this thread, I served in the KOSB from 1965 to 1991, As mentioned it is true an assortment of different styles of the regimental cap badge were worn, being a family regiment, you had G.G. Grandfathers, Great Grandfathers, Grandfathers, Fathers and relatives cap badges being handed down to serving members now, there was great pride in this practice as you can understand. On silver badges not just officers wear them, Dress Regulation states that Warrant Officers are to wear silver badges fretted, there is also a SNCO's style cap badge, the Pipe & Drum Majors also wear silver cap badges, when I was RQMS they were wearing badges on loan from RHQ, which was a pain as I had to check that they were still in their position once a month and have new 1033 signed and return to RHQ once a month, using the authority in dress regulations I demanded the full warrant officers on the establishment 13 at the time and was issued 6 on an initial issue, bingo, once issued and accepted re-demands were legitimate without further justification required for the re-demand, that got ride of the loan badges. In 1969 we were rebadged, discarding the much disliked WD issue Lowland Brigade badge, all the badges issued to the battalion on the rebadging parade were, KOSB O/R's post 1902 KC WM, there are three versions of the same badge by different manufacturers. The size of the regiments badges do differ for a number of reasons, for example I have a small three lug, Lugs N, E & W, KC Blue helmet centre piece, this with the three lugs intact is rare, KOSB KC 1901 to 1903, the regiment discarded the helmets for the Kilmarnock Bonnet, therefore most of the N positioned lugs would have been removed to fit the cap badge on the Kilmarnock Bonnet, another rare badge I have, Ian Martin at the museum does not have one, it is an Officer's brass VC The Kings Own Borderers, with XXV just above the 'Dominus' scroll, with a 3 inch metal hinged slider on the back, a Puggaree badge, these were only worn for a short period of time by the regiment.
I hope some of this helps
Kind regards
Hiram

Last edited by Borderer; 05-12-16 at 11:22 PM.
Old 26-02-21, 04:25 PM

Default "Round bottom" fretted and plated KOSB badge

Good afternoon,

I like to contribute a recent purchase to this interesting old thread.
It's a "round bottom" fretted and plated badge marked "Gaunt London".

Can anyone date this one, please?

Kind regards and keep safe,

Marinus

KOSB-BADGE-11-1.jpgKOSB-BADGE-11-2.jpg
Old 21-04-21, 02:18 PM

Dear Members,

I have been corresponding with 3DG on the subject of King's Own Scottish Borderers WW1 GM (Gilded Metal) badges.

I undertook to research into this in depth and can conclude from documentary evidence: That. All Scottish Regiments badges were in WM (white metal) except that of the Royal Scots which was in 1915/16 made in GM. One can understand why as their normal badge was BM (Bi-Metal), the making of GM badges was nothing to do with the myth that there was a shortage of raw materials, it was down to what the War Office wanted, the only shortage of note were badge makers due to War enlistments of skilled men.

For general info the breakdown in 1916 of Infantry of the Line badges at the time were:
69 Regular Infantry of the line regiments with cap badges in the following metals: 11 in GM (this included the blackened KRRC), 18 in WM and 40 in BM.

I can also confirm the Brass/GM KOSB Cap badge on display in the Regimental Museum has this day been removed by the Archivist and Curator, simply because there was never an authorised KOSB WW1 GM badge made.

I hope members appreciate this information and help collectors now and in the future.

Best
Hiram
Old 22-04-21, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinus View Post
Good afternoon,

I like to contribute a recent purchase to this interesting old thread.
It's a "round bottom" fretted and plated badge marked "Gaunt London".

Can anyone date this one, please?

Kind regards and keep safe,

Marinus

Attachment 243547Attachment 243546
Hi Marinus
In the absence of any other answers, all I can say is that it is the 1902-1952 officer / SNCO badge. With the Gaunt stamp and 'P', it is silver plated and I would guess, closer to the 1930-52 period, but that is just a guess.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 22-04-21, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Hi Marinus
In the absence of any other answers, all I can say is that it is the 1902-1952 officer / SNCO badge. With the Gaunt stamp and 'P', it is silver plated and I would guess, closer to the 1930-52 period, but that is just a guess.
Cheers,
Alex
Hi Alex,

Thank you very much indeed for your response.

Cheers from The Netherlands,

Marinus
Old 22-04-21, 09:52 PM

Hi Marinus,

Sorry I never replied sooner. Alex is right circa 1902-52 without any specific hall marks to date it exactly. Nevertheless, a nice period badge, if you look at my Album you will see badges 30 & 31 are of the same design both are hall marked 1930's, which fits with your badge, Warrant officers wore silver plated badges as per regulations and Gaunt is a well known maker of KOSB badges.

Kind regards
Hiram
Old 23-04-21, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderer View Post
Hi Marinus,

Sorry I never replied sooner. Alex is right circa 1902-52 without any specific hall marks to date it exactly. Nevertheless, a nice period badge, if you look at my Album you will see badges 30 & 31 are of the same design both are hall marked 1930's, which fits with your badge, Warrant officers wore silver plated badges as per regulations and Gaunt is a well known maker of KOSB badges.

Kind regards
Hiram
Hi Hiram,

Thank you for the extra information.
I've enjoyed your album very much and thus added a "hallmarked" KOSB badge to my wanted list.

Kind regards from The Netherlands,

Marinus