British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-10-14, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw2311 View Post
it looks like a good one to me. I have no issues with it.
What do you like about this badge. Is there anything particular you see or look for in a genuine die strike?
Old 20-10-14, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Reviewing the discussion about this badge, it points out the difficulty that reproduction and frauds are causing. Questioning the authenticity of the Cdn Para Corps badges should be part of the acquistion process. Before one lays down the cash for this badge (and usually a lot of it) they need to be convinced they are getting an authentic badge. Coogan is prepared to, I am not.
Bill, just a note about the record of production of badges in Canada during the SWW. The Dept of Munitions and Supply managed the contracts during the war including developing a list of companies capable of making certain products and allocating the resources / materials for each contract to the companies when the contract was awarded. The potential companies were either asked to tender or in some cases where they were the only concern able to complete the job, they were straight out awarded the contract.
At one point in the war brass was in short supply and Munitions and Supply limited the availability of the alloy to only those products they deemed necessary. Bullets beat badges in brass. This led to the experiments with steel and plastic badges. (Many other materials were treated similarly or even more strictly. Nickel, some types of wool and cotton that were also subject to strict controls. The monel metal made with a nickel alloy was declared a strategic material and the Sault Ste Marie and Sudbury Regt and the Algonquin Regt were required to make their badges from a white metal alloy.) Allocating the resources to a manufacturing concern was approved and managed by the Dept of Munitions and Supply, with the ensuing paper trail. If there was sub-contracting there would be a paper trail for the possession of the dies and the allocation of the materials. The dies for the Canadian Parachute Corps were property of DND and would have to be accounted for. There is nothing in the record to indicate the dies / materials for the other ranks badges were handled by any other concern than Roden's or Breadner's.
(Ken also quotes the same passage you have re the Battalion's feelings about the plastic badges.)
Old 20-10-14, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Reviewing the discussion about this badge, it points out the difficulty that reproduction and frauds are causing.
I think another thing it points out is the difficulty or impossibility of giving best-experience opinions on badges like this on the basis of a couple of relatively low resolution photos on the forum, hence my question about weight.

I have two genuine Can Para OR badges, one the 'soft back' and the other the full detailed back strike like the one on this thread. On the surface of it, the badge in question and my detailed back badge are pretty much identical, including the stippled look on the back, but not with the damage to the ends of the right pinions.

I would not write off this badge out of hand, but I'd really like to see it in hand, as well. I think a good look at the damage under a glass would quickly answer whether it was a die flaw or just a good old fashioned ding or two (there appears to be a corresponding dent on the outside back edge as well).

What I'm not sure I like is the lack of gilding (mine has that gilt wash, including the lugs). Entirely possible most of that has polished off the front, but I'd expect to see more residual gilt on the front, and a lot more on the back. But again, without tossing the thing around in hand, I wouldn't vote categorically one way or the other, although I'm leaning in the direction of the 'yay' camp.

As to the questions about 'why so many dies, why so many makers', I think there is an assumption by many collectors that somehow entire runs of badges were struck all at the same go, from the same die, by the same maker, and lived in a giant bin somewhere until more were needed by a regiment. This is not the case; there were short runs, re-order runs, sub-contracted runs, plus just general die deterioration over the working life of the die from start to finish of large runs. And if, say, Scully was up to its eyeballs when an order came in, they would sub-contract the job. The badge order would still have been to Scully, the regiment or DOD would have been invoiced by and paid Scully, it's just that the badge may have been stamped by Birks or someone else. Pick just about any Canadian wartime regiment badge, I'll find you a die variety
Old 23-10-14, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ Miller View Post
What do you like about this badge. Is there anything particular you see or look for in a genuine die strike?

Hi Bill,

No different than anyone else, I look for certain details, including flaws.

Cheers
Old 24-10-14, 12:49 AM
Banned

I don't collect Canadian militaria but an interesting discussion none the less.
Old 25-10-14, 03:18 PM

Hello Peter,
Generally speaking, neither do I, but, the very first Canadian badge I bought as a boy was a WW2 Canadian Para, I was keen to get one and I knew enough about what Messr's Bradbrooke, Eadie, Nicklin and their battalion had done.
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesianmilitaria View Post
I don't collect Canadian militaria but an interesting discussion none the less.

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 25-10-14 at 03:25 PM.
Old 25-10-14, 11:39 PM

Hello 121155,

If you are now afraid to buy the one you are asking about in this thread, you can always buy this one listed in the link below.

http://www.emedals.com/highlighted-o...c2728?vmcchk=1

Enjoy,

Old 26-10-14, 07:55 AM

There is a second one for sale too, although, a little more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw2311 View Post
Hello 121155,

If you are now afraid to buy the one you are asking about in this thread, you can always buy this one listed in the link below.

http://www.emedals.com/highlighted-o...c2728?vmcchk=1

Enjoy,

Old 26-10-14, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
There is a second one for sale too, although, a little more expensive.

Thanks, I missed that one. I've attached the link below.

http://www.emedals.com/highlighted-o...ap-badge-c1813

Cheers
Old 26-10-14, 07:55 PM

Apart from the damage to the right pinions, this second badge from emedals looks pretty much the same as the badge 121155 originally asked about.
Old 26-10-14, 08:00 PM

BTW: with an item like this on emedal's site, I'm not filled with unbridled confidence
Old 27-10-14, 09:23 PM

Default Emedals badges

Sorry for being absent in the thread i was away for work. This badge i have is identical to the $580 badge emedals has listed. Besides the damage on the wing. Even small strike marks on the reverse at the top of the parachute match exactly to the one i have