British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-06-13, 10:12 AM

I have been following this thread with amusement

I have only a passing interest in Rugby at best, but I can't see what harm this thread is doing. Unless it disintegrates into attacks on nationality that is.

elgee45 has made a valid point. If you don't like it, don't read it

On a more military theme, is there any evidence of a peanut/egg being hugged or chased across no man's land in WW1?

Regards,

Andy
Old 30-06-13, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post

On a more military theme, is there any evidence of a peanut/egg being hugged or chased across no man's land in WW1?

Regards,

Andy
Hi Andy.

To the best of my limited knowledge, no...........I don't think they would have been able to define the try line and scrums would have been a nightmare in all that mud.

But let's not forget the multitude of Military personnel from all branches who have represented and those who in modern times represent their respective countries in various sports, including Rugby, albeit in a more limited number nowadays.

For example, how about this bloke then......

Lieutenant Colonel Robert Blair "Paddy" Mayne DSO & Three Bars (11 January 1915 – 14 December 1955) was a British Army soldier, solicitor, Ireland rugby union international, amateur boxer, and a founding member of the Special Air Service (SAS), controversially denied a Victoria Cross.

Say no more, all sports, including Rugby are a very important part of Military life.

Slightly off topic.....yes....but in my opinion, nevertheless, a subject dear to my heart and worthy of a mention now and then.

Regards
Brian
Old 30-06-13, 09:25 PM

Here's 3 for you then Brian, Ronald Poulton Palmer, Henry Berry & Edgar Mobbs! Of course you could buy the excellent book The Greater Game by Clive Harris & Julian Whippy, ISBN184415762-8 ( & yes I do have a connection with the authors) & read about them & other sportsmen in WW1, another shameless plug for some mates of mine I know but who cares!!!! Enjoy,
Wilf.
Old 30-06-13, 09:46 PM

Hello Brian

I think you might have hit the nail squarely on the head there mate. "Rugger" is a sport of the "posh types" .

As you know I was "lucky??" enough to go to a school that was once a Grammar School (had our own OTC once ). Sadly (IMHO), it was stuck firmly in the past and I had the "pleasure" of Rugby and Cricket (not mentioned in this thread) shoved firmly down my throat Not until my final year (when they had finally given up on some of us), did I play Soccer (I am sure that most of you Rugby types are aware of where the expresssion "Soccer" originated from? Something to do with the "posh types" no wanting to be associated with the rough "Association Football")

I come from a long line of millitary types with all (except one cavalry chap in the mid 19th century) being "Other Ranks". I can find no mention of them playing Rugby and can only find reference of one playing "Association Football" (soccer) to any standard (A very accomplished Goalkeeper, with several winners medals).

regards,

Andy

P.S.

The above is just a light hearted attempt at a little fun. Whilst my own experiences are just that, I am well aware that Sport is for all (I think I saw the pitches at Raleigh, although it could have been a nightmare )

And remember....... If you don't like the thread, don't read it
Old 30-06-13, 09:53 PM

Well done Wilf.......................and if I remember correctly, each year a game is played between The Army against Bedford and Northampton, in alternate years in memory of this chap who was in the Northamptonshire Regiment....The Mobbs memorial match.

Regards

Briian

Last edited by Fatherofthree; 30-06-13 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Missed an R in Northamptonshire
Old 30-06-13, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherofthree View Post
Well done Wilf.......................and if I remember correctly, each year a game is played between The Army against Bedford and Northampton, in alternate years in memory of this chap who was in the Northamptonshie Regiment....The Mobbs memorial match.

Regards

Briian
Well done that man! They named a road after him too, here's a pic from the book ( I'm sure Clive & Julian won't mind as it's a plug!!) Nice to get some badges in the thread here for the purists
Wilf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img065.jpg (114.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 30-06-13, 10:17 PM

Hi again Andy.

It's not just rugby though.....many sports are represented.......in recent times for example: Athletics Kriss Akabusi and Kelly Holmes; Rugby: Tim Rodber, Will Carling, Josh Lewsey and Rob Wainwright; Rowing:Heather Stanning...Olympic Champion.

Sport is a very important part of Military life in my opinion, I played rugby against The Welsh Guards quite a few years ago....what a team...it was said that the team were all in the same unit within The Regiment so that they could stay together as a team and represent The Regiment at the highest level.

In many sports, personnel from all branches, have represented their respective countries.......not toooooo sure about darts though.

And the annual Army versus Navy Rugby match at Twickenham is nearly always a sell out.

Regards

Brian
Old 30-06-13, 10:30 PM

Quite agree Brian, but.......... with the exception of H Berry in the post by wilf the others are Officers.

Out of interest, what ever happened to the Gun Run between Devonport and Portsmouth?
Old 30-06-13, 10:37 PM

Woz it not Elf and safetee put a stop to it, or was it swingeing financial cuts.

That was a great spectacle to see and in my opinion showed true team spirit and pride in their units.

Reinstate it I say.

Regards
Brian
Old 03-07-13, 08:46 PM
LYPAO Boff

Here is a prediction for the 3rd test :-

Wales will lose ..... or "The Lions" will win!

2001 ... 9 Englishmen started.... cant remember an uproar about that!

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 06-07-13, 01:00 PM
LYPAO Boff

"The British & Irish Lions" win.... a great day

Brilliant match....... just too powerful for the Aussie boys. (Karma Horwill Karma)

Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 08-07-13 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-07-13, 06:13 PM

A superb match and Test Series very deservedly won by the Lions. Can't believe that both Corbisiero and North are joining the Northampton Saints for the up-coming season, should be great and glad I have renewed my season tickets.
Old 06-07-13, 08:00 PM
LYPAO Boff

I am looking forward to watching Owen Williams at the Tigers and North coming up to Leicester to play...... great season ahead

Lechyd da pob Cymro