British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-05-12, 06:32 PM

Default 17th Middlesex Regiment cap badge

Hello
I'm very new to this forum but have been collecting WW1 medals for about
18mths. I started by buying a WW1 pair on ebay to get me started, cheap and did all the research then sold them through Warwick and Warwick for loads, they belonged to Abe Mitchell the little figure who sits on top of Golfs Ryder Cup. Now i'm hooked on collecting Medals and Badges.

I recently brought a trio to a pte in the 17th Middlesex Regiment
(my grandfathers Reg, Ernest Crook DCM) they also came with a middlesex cap badge with a football and corner flags on it.
I have seen some old posts about this badge but can anyone help with anymore info on this unusual badge please.17th Middlesex Reg badge.jpg
Old 13-05-12, 09:40 PM

Hi Medalgirl.

Thanks to Peter for pointing out the threads concerning this particular badge.

In addition to the observations made in those I would like to add the following, which, (are my opinion only and as always I stand to be corrected and abused ) I believe show the body of the badge itself be a wrong 'un, on which a fantasy item has been produced.

1. Lack of voiding in the immediate area around the stems of the laurel wreaths/Middlesex scroll.

2. The length of the plumes in the PoW feathers; the only badges I have seen this length of plume on are the Middlesex Territorial badges, the 'normal' pattern badges have shorter plumes.

3. It appears to be on lugs, which were phased out from about 1903 onwards. This particular Battalion wasn't created until December 1914............it should be on a slider at this date I believe.

Regards
Brian
Old 14-05-12, 07:46 AM

Default Middx cap badge

Hi many thanks for your information on my little badge i knew that this would not have been issued to the men to wear, shame as they were footballers. Its one for my collection and ill hang on to it now, I will have another good look at another one and compare the two. Thank you again MG
Old 14-05-12, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medalgirl View Post
I will have another good look at another one and compare the two.
Hi Medalgirl.

I wouldn't buy another one. They are all fantasy badges, and were never issued. Simply a modern con.

Cheers
Chris
Old 26-11-18, 04:35 PM

Default Help sourcing right cap badge

I am trying to search for a real cap badge to complete my fathers frame

I wish to present my father with his Grandfathers medals and cap badge. I have sourced a MOD registered medal maker to remake my GGF's non commissioned officers MM and they will also remake his Death Penny but I am struggling to find the right cap badge. My GGF was in the 17th Bn Middlesex Reg which was known as the Footballers. I was told they had a slightly different cap badge to the others is this correct? Can anyone assist in pointing me in the right direction please.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-6ee7423df06db8ae73827bbd263f9d1f-V.jpg (38.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 07-12-18, 07:42 PM

It was the standard Middlesex Regiment cap badge. You should be able to pick one up for £6-8 very easily I’m pleased to say.

Cheers,
Luke