British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-03-22, 09:15 AM

Default Cambridgeshire OSD

Despite some months of searching, I have only, so far, been able to find one example of the Cambridgeshire OSD with the South Africa scroll. I'm wondering if the £110 that they are asking for it, is a reasonable price for such a badge, there certainly doesn't seem to be very many of them around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC12571.jpg (64.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12572.jpg (41.3 KB, 39 views)
Old 23-03-22, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

The design was only in vogue from 1910-1914 and even before the war started was being replaced by the scrolless version. I can't comment on the price but it was worn by very few officers.
Old 23-03-22, 10:18 AM

Default Cambridgeshire OSD with S.A. Scroll

The Cambridgeshire OSD with S.A. Scroll is a scarce cap badge, they do not turn up very often, but whether you want to pay £110 for one is up to you.

This one looks OK to me

Rob
Old 23-03-22, 11:04 AM

Default Cambridgeshire OSD with S.A. Scroll

Minden Militaria have a Cambridgeshire OSD with S.A. Scroll but it has loops, not a variety I have seen before, possibly a collar badge but a scarce item nonetheless.

Rob
Old 23-03-22, 11:36 AM

Many thanks, Alan and Rob, the OSD with scroll is now in the bag. I can't find the one you've mentioned at Minden, Rob, the only thing that I've ever found there, is a sold 3/CAMBS/V/SUFFOLK
Old 23-03-22, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thursdaychris View Post
I can't find the one you've mentioned at Minden
It is still there :

Quote:
Cambridgeshire Regt. post 1908

Officer's service dress bronze cap badge with 2 loops to reverse. With South Africa scroll. Ref K&K Vol1 1816

Code: 56494

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 23-03-22, 12:45 PM

See here

https://mindenmilitaria.com/shop.php?code=56494

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 23-03-22, 03:37 PM

Many thanks, Mike and Simon, I have now found the badge and I fear that it's another one that will just have to to be added to the collection.

Last edited by thursdaychris; 23-03-22 at 07:40 PM.
Old 24-03-22, 06:49 AM

Many thanks for all the assistance yesterday, chaps, it turned out out to be a very good day for the Cambridgeshire collection. I've been plumbing Cambridgeshire Regiment into the search box at Minden for months and only ever getting the one sold item, I should have known better!

As luck would have it, I am fairly affluent at the moment, I have just found a new home for the largest of my remaining model steam items. Parcelforce collected three packages from me yesterday weighing a total of 43 kilos. It is actually a treat to be able to convert the likes of that, into little items that I can fit into my pocket.

Model steam items do tend to sell for very high prices, which is just as well because I'm very well aware that yesterdays new additions were only available due to their similar very high prices. However, despite several ups and downs, I do love badges, and at the end of the day, who cares what they cost.

Last edited by thursdaychris; 24-03-22 at 08:38 AM.
Old 24-03-22, 07:17 AM

The postperson brought me another nice little item yesterday, I do have a few Cambridgeshire buttons, and I think that this is an interesting use for another one, and actually quite cheap, for a change!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC12621.jpg (40.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12622.jpg (33.1 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by thursdaychris; 24-03-22 at 08:42 AM.
Old 24-03-22, 10:22 AM

I would say £130 for the collar badge sold on Miden as a cap badge is daylight robbery compared to the former bladed cap badge which was cheaper from Bosley’s regimentalbadges site.

No offence but Minden is one of the last places I check for badges nowadays.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6FFCCA64-BBBE-4DA8-A6B1-4B0DA78E4742.jpg (35.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 24-03-22, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
I would say £130 for the collar badge sold on Miden as a cap badge is daylight robbery compared to the former bladed cap badge which was cheaper from Bosley’s regimentalbadges site.

No offence but Minden is one of the last places I check for badges nowadays.
It wasn't the best looking example either.
Old 24-03-22, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

I find Minden prices twice what I would regard as even reasonable! The lugged badge is clealry a collar rather than a cap badge.
Old 24-03-22, 11:21 AM

I think ThursdayChris knows it was too much money, but badge collecting is a passion and if you really want something then just buy it. I have certainly paid over the odds for things I just must have.

Generally speaking I want to get back, financially, what I put in and more besides if possible but I have pieces in my collection that will never catch up, am I bothered, no, I have enjoyed owning them.

As for Minden Militaria, sadly now that Rod has gone, the site will have no expertese at all behind it and when his stock runs out, what will happen then? It will be just another expensive website that you take pot luck on.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 24-03-22, 01:40 PM

Well said, Simon, what with Vladimir Putin and global warming, whatever I might pay for the latest collectable items that I've taken an interest in, is the very least of my worries. It is simply a matter of having a particular item, or not having it, I don't have another lifetime to wait for a cheaper one to come along.

I did buy another Cambridgeshire collar badge from Minden yesterday, that I haven't mentioned yet, it was £60, and funnily enough, the last, very similar, one of these that I bought was £2.20, it's swings and roundabouts!