British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-09-16, 09:26 AM

Default Gilding

Does anyone know someone who does 'gilding'? My chap has recently passed away and i need some gilding done. Any steers would be gratefully received...
H
Old 20-09-16, 09:51 AM

I've used Jonathan David Jewellers in St Mary St in the past. They send the items off but may still be able to help.
Old 20-09-16, 10:21 AM

Cheers for that Kev... I'll check them out, I'm guessing they are expensive though... right? Howard

Last edited by Cardiffbloke; 20-09-16 at 10:39 AM.
Old 20-09-16, 11:49 AM

Hi Howard,
Not cheap but I'm happy with the result. You might also want to try Steve Wright at Napiers in Queens Arcade. He does medal repairs for a few of us and might know someone who could help.
Hwyl,
Kevin
Old 20-09-16, 12:26 PM

Cheers Butty
Old 20-09-16, 03:43 PM

Howard

There is also Dirk Meyer in Germany. I have been trying to get part of a RM helmet plate regilded and he is the only person I have found who will do Mercury gilding (there is someone in the UK but my dealings with them have been far from satisfactory). Dirk Meyer has some videos on YouTube where you can see the results and I believe there are a few members who have used his services. Not cheap but if the badge is worth it then I think you have to bite the bullet. If you pm me an email address I can forward an email received this month with Dirk's price breakdown.

Paddy
Old 21-09-16, 07:37 AM

Hi Paddy

PM sent

Thanks
Howard
Old 25-11-16, 09:36 PM

Hello All

I just thought I would update this post as I have now received my badge back from Dirk Meyer after he has regilded it. As mentioned earlier it is not cheap but if the badge in question is rare, valuable or of sentimental value then I think it is worth it. I have attached a few pics to show what the piece was like before regilding (it is the Per Mare Per Terram piece), what it is like after gilding, beside the piece I sent Dirk as an example of the shade of gold I would like and a few of the helmet plate now that it has been put back together, a 1902 - 05 Royal Marines Light Infantry Officer's Helmet Plate (the blue enamel disc is a replacement). My camera work does not do it justice.

For those who may be considering having this done the price breakdown is:-

75 Euros to do one badge (110 Euros if you have 2 badges done at the same time)

Plus

28 Euros for the 0.7 grammes of pure gold that was used (badge is approx. 7 cm x 7 cm, current price of pure gold is approx. 40 Euros per gramme so he charges 4 Euros per square cm)

Plus

15 Euros for return postage

Plus

19% tax

Giving a grand total of 140 Euros (£124)

Expensive but I think worth it, I think next time I use his services I will send 2 badges to make it a bit more worthwhile.

Paddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0518.jpg (69.5 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1508.jpg (94.8 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0138web.jpg (37.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1518.jpg (78.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1521.jpg (77.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1525.jpg (69.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg The Royal Marines Light Infantry Helmet Plate (KC)(1902-05)(SP, Gilt & Enamel)(Dismantled).jpg (80.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg The Royal Marines Light Infantry Helmet Plate (KC)(1902-05)(SP, Gilt & Enamel).jpg (70.2 KB, 46 views)
Old 25-11-16, 10:15 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

I think that looks absolutely stunning ........and worth the expense! ...such a difference. It looks beautiful....as they say, "if it brings you joy, then money is irrelevant ". Thanks for posting.
Old 26-11-16, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Hello All

I just thought I would update this post as I have now received my badge back from Dirk Meyer after he has regilded it. As mentioned earlier it is not cheap but if the badge in question is rare, valuable or of sentimental value then I think it is worth it. I have attached a few pics to show what the piece was like before regilding (it is the Per Mare Per Terram piece), what it is like after gilding, beside the piece I sent Dirk as an example of the shade of gold I would like and a few of the helmet plate now that it has been put back together, a 1902 - 05 Royal Marines Light Infantry Officer's Helmet Plate (the blue enamel disc is a replacement). My camera work does not do it justice.

For those who may be considering having this done the price breakdown is:-

75 Euros to do one badge (110 Euros if you have 2 badges done at the same time)

Plus

28 Euros for the 0.7 grammes of pure gold that was used (badge is approx. 7 cm x 7 cm, current price of pure gold is approx. 40 Euros per gramme so he charges 4 Euros per square cm)

Plus

15 Euros for return postage

Plus

19% tax

Giving a grand total of 140 Euros (£124)

Expensive but I think worth it, I think next time I use his services I will send 2 badges to make it a bit more worthwhile.

Paddy
Hi Paddy
I knew you would like Dirk's work, he does renovation work for Museums and has repaired items for Windsor Castle after the fire. I gave his details to the Wallis Collection conservators and he has a number of items to fire gild for them. We are still trying to get the silvering process right but will let you know when we get sorted
cheers
Steve