British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-07-08, 11:42 PM

Default Probably a red herring

The closest match I can find for the motto is :-

"Velox, Versutus, Vigilans"
(Swift, Skilled, Alert)
Royal Canadian Corps of Signals

But their badge is nothing like Alans.

Will
Old 08-07-08, 09:15 AM

Default University College of Wales, Aberystwyth

Will,
I wouldn't count it out just yet. The University of Wales has a Latin motto which from memory translates to something like; Science, ?, Arts. It is quite possible therefore that the College at Aber may have had their own.
It would be unusual if it was in Latin as even my school motto was in Welsh, Tua'r Goleuni - Towards the Light.
Hwyl,
Kevin
Old 08-07-08, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
I resent you using the term 'albeit very badly at times' You need to be reminded that all Welsh Regimental badges have been worn with honour!
Hi Wyndham,
Having come across this thread I feel I must support 41st view on the Grammar of Welsh motto's.
Historically the military in Wales was there to subjecate the Nation so it is no wonder that they paid little or scant appreciation of its language.
Besides the confusion of spelling Welsh to Welch not being resolved universally with Army Order No 56 of January 1920.Which again as been overturned with the formation of The Royal Welsh.The was also an even bigger debacle with the misspelling of The Welch Regiments motto,"Gwell angau na Chywilydd"translated meaning "Better Death not shame",but within the Regiment always rendered as "Better Death than Dishonour".It was for a time however written as,"Gwell angau neu Chywilydd" ingloriusly translated as "Better Death or Shame".When this matter was rectified is unknown but it was not removed from its shako and hemet plates until unkind comments were made in The South Wales Echo and a question asked in The Houses of Parliment by then M.P. for Merthyr Tydfil before an order was passed for the solecism to be rectified in 1895.
What is certain is the Regiments of Wales have always served with bravery and distinction.
Ymwrolwn
Bantam
Old 12-07-08, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bantam View Post
Hi Wyndham,
Having come across this thread I feel I must support 41st view on the Grammar of Welsh motto's.
Historically the military in Wales was there to subjecate the Nation so it is no wonder that they paid little or scant appreciation of its language.
Besides the confusion of spelling Welsh to Welch not being resolved universally with Army Order No 56 of January 1920.Which again as been overturned with the formation of The Royal Welsh.The was also an even bigger debacle with the misspelling of The Welch Regiments motto,"Gwell angau na Chywilydd"translated meaning "Better Death not shame",but within the Regiment always rendered as "Better Death than Dishonour".It was for a time however written as,"Gwell angau neu Chywilydd" ingloriusly translated as "Better Death or Shame".When this matter was rectified is unknown but it was not removed from its shako and hemet plates until unkind comments were made in The South Wales Echo and a question asked in The Houses of Parliment by then M.P. for Merthyr Tydfil before an order was passed for the solecism to be rectified in 1895.
What is certain is the Regiments of Wales have always served with bravery and distinction.
Ymwrolwn
Bantam
Hi Bantam
Thank you for your concise explanation and background to the misspelling of the Welsh Regimental mottos. I have made up my mind to retire to Cardiganshire to learn more about Welsh regiments!
Yours sincerely
Wyndham
Old 14-07-08, 08:35 PM

41st
Please accept my apologies for this one. It was a knee-jerk reaction as I thought someone was taking the p...
I am grateful to Bantam, Luke and of course yourself for explaining to me the history behind the incorrect spelling and grammar on Welsh Regimental badges and mottos over the years.
For interest during the second world war the stone frigate at Penychain Caernarfonshire was originally commissioned HMS Glyndwr but unfortunately English officers stationed there were unable to pronounce Glyndwr so it was anglicized to HMS Glendower!
HMs Glendower still survives today in the local Sea Cadets and The Royal Naval Association. A bit of a hint here to were my interests lie.
Hwyl Wyndham
Old 14-07-08, 10:15 PM

Wyndham,
I am so proud that you stood up in the best traditions to support "The Welsh" don't you dare leave.The more of us the better.
"Aroswch gydwyn ni,os gwelwch yn dda.
Stay with us please.
Your contributions are important to the forum.
Hwyl
Bantam
Old 15-07-08, 07:44 PM

Bantam
To be honest after I made a hash of it with 41st I thought the best thing was to get out fast. However after this message from you I intend to stay but with the intention of getting my facts right in future! My other hope is that 41st has accepted my apology.
"Diolch i chwi o galon am eich cefnogaeth"
Hwyl
Wyndham
Old 15-07-08, 09:34 PM

Wyndham,
I am so pleased that you made that decision.Brilliant.Yn gallu yn siarad cymraeg hefyd.
Croeso cyflym i chi.
Bantam
Old 26-07-08, 10:20 PM

Alan,
while looking for something entirely different today, I spotted your exact badge in a Canadian badge book. !! ( by D.Mazeas pg56 )
The badge is a WW1 Canadian collar badge of the 47th Front ENAC Regiment.

Solved !!

Cheers !
Steve

PS: now a question from me..... what does 'ENAC' stand for ??

Last edited by dragonz18; 26-07-08 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-10-21, 08:54 PM

It's a collar badge of the 47th Frontenac Regiment of Canada. Other Ranks. Left hand badge.

See https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...-ors-287931829