British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-12-13, 06:16 PM

Default K.D.G Arm Badge

Here is a badge from my collection that I have marked as an NCO arm badge. Measures 46mm x 32mm. Do I have it correct or could this have been worn elsewhere? Is it possible to narrow a time range for wear?

Thanks for any and all comments
Jack

Old 30-12-13, 08:23 PM

[QUOTE=irish;244159]Here is a badge from my collection that I have marked as an NCO arm badge. Measures 46mm x 32mm. Do I have it correct or could this have been worn elsewhere? Is it possible to narrow a time range for wear?

Thanks for any and all comments
Jack

Jack

This appears to be as you say, an NCO's Arm Badge to the KDG, it's wm. and was their last pattern Arm Badge usually worn with a red backing cloth, and dates from 1930 -1958. There are other versions to be found silver plated, and brass silver plated of possible Indian origin. There was no HM Silver version as far as I'm Aware.

They were not used for any other purpose that I can immediately think of. However, the Band comes to mind, as like many others a law unto themselves, 'Cardiff bloke's' your man on those matters KDG, BAYS & QDG.

Hope that's of help.

Rob

The older I get ................the better I was !
Old 30-12-13, 08:32 PM

Default KDG NCOS ARM BADGE

hi jack, yes you are spot on with the description, this badge was the last pattern arm badge to be worn by the 1ST KING'S DRAGOON GUARDS it's called the crowned monogram badge and it was worn from 1930 onwards, it should be worn on a pear shaped red cloth felt backing. a very nice item. regards john
Old 30-12-13, 08:39 PM

sorry rob must of been typing as you were posting. regards john
Old 30-12-13, 08:50 PM

Thanks, Rob and John for that information.
Best
Jack
Old 30-12-13, 11:08 PM

This is one of two that I have in white metal, this one has its original cloth backing.
The other one shown is a small bronze possibly worn on the tropical dress.
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 31-12-13, 01:27 AM

Hi All,
If I may join this thread, I have a similar KDG badge as in Jack's first post but with a blue felt backing. Is there any reason for this?
Thanks, Tinto

Last edited by Tinto; 31-12-13 at 02:16 AM.
Old 31-12-13, 09:57 AM

Hello

Malcom

The monogram design is a fair age it goes back to the late Victorian period I belief, possibly earlier, and the KDG band for example used a two part version on their cross-belt pouches for a long time. So IMO, I don't think this smaller bronze device is an arm badge, and I'd suggest it predates the Arm Badge. Granted I'm not sure what its purpose was right now, but will endeavour to find out and keep you posted.

Tinto

Regarding the Blue backing Cloth, the question is do you think it is contemporary?, was it actually worn or is this something that has been added at a later date, which does happen. The only thing that comes to mind is there may be a QDG connection ????

It might be useful to post an image if possible, and lets see what we all can make of it.

Rob

The older I get ................the better I was !
Old 31-12-13, 04:07 PM

Hi everyone... HNY!!!
So far in this thread everyone is correct.... Not sure why the arm badge has a blue backing though as on amalgamation a QDG version of the Bays arm badge was adopted, maybe it was added through ignorance.
As for the smaller bronze version, i have yet to find any evidence to prove in which capacity it was worn. I have one and so does 1st tankie and neither of us can think of a reason other than perhaps a very early sidecap badge before the eagle was adopted in 1896. So the jury remains out... Im pretty certain it wasnt an arm badge... But you never ever know with KDG :-))
Old 31-12-13, 04:21 PM

Thanks to everyone who has commented and posted photos.
Jack
Old 31-12-13, 04:59 PM

Someone recently posted some badges for ID and I said it reminded me of a cavalry arm badge, but couldn't remember which one. Now I know!
David
Old 31-12-13, 05:29 PM

Hi All,
Here is the KDG badge with blue backing, been in the collection for many years. Uncertain of its provenance.
Cheers, Tinto
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (77.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (113.0 KB, 21 views)
Old 31-12-13, 07:12 PM

Default 1DG "Small crowned monogram badge"

Hi Malcolm, Rob, Howard and every one else confused by this one.

As Howard says this little number has been discussed before and no satisfactory conclusion drawn. I thought it might be useful to show it in comparison with the usual Arm Badge (on a red backing, like Howard I have never seen it on a blue one but you never know) just to show how small it really is.
At first I tried to situate this one as an officer's KD "shoulder title" but have gone off that idea now!
Having said that however I see no reason for it to be an Arm Badge either:
A. I think it's too small
B. Its the wrong colour
My most recent thought, reached after several quaffs of the sweet nectar, is that it is one of a pair worn as collar badges by the officers overseas in KD!!
How does that grab the cognoscente?

Happy New Year to all and good hunting in 2014

Gordon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1DG ST monogram.jpg (15.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 1DG ST monogram reverse.jpg (5.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 1DG Arm Badge and small crown over monogram 1.jpg (44.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 1DG Arm Badge and small crown over monogram rev.jpg (33.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 01-01-14, 06:04 AM

Hi Gordon, Howard and everyone Happy New Year to you all.
Gordon never crossed my mind it could be a collar badge but its the time period of when it would have been worn confuses me, are we suggesting this was worn prior to 1902 or after, as I have a 1902 collar for Officers and there are no books for Cavalry collars unlike Infantry, you can see why this hobby gets a lot of assumptions especially for Cavalry.
Sorry if this seems like rambling but it is early New Years morning at time of typing hic hic, attached my 1902 Officers Collar same size as the cap badge.

Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 01-01-14, 06:23 AM

Sorry Howard I over looked you comment regarding a the small bronze to be an early side cap badge pre 1896, I just acquired some 1000s of negatives I will look through the 1st KDG to see if anything comes to light.
Malc