British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-06-13, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tremain View Post
Robin Hodges' book 'British Army Badges' shows a cap badge to the QDG highly polished. It may have been there that I read the same thing about it being a tradition to polish off the detail. Is there any Forum member who is serving/ex-QDG who can confirm this?
David
Beaconview was, maybe PM him.
Old 29-06-13, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Robin Hodges' book 'British Army Badges' shows a cap badge to the QDG highly polished. It may have been there that I read the same thing about it being a tradition to polish off the detail. Is there any Forum member who is serving/ex-QDG who can confirm this?
David
Hello David

Cardiff bloke is certainly someone on the forum who is qualified to answer this question being an Ex QDG RSM. Alas he does not seem to log on much these days.

However I can tell you that he did write to Robin Hodges, some years ago, on this very subject and I was privy to the correspondence.

In brief, the excessive polishing of the badge has absolutely nothing to do with any 'dishonour' of the 1st Kings Dragoon Guards having the Emperor Franz Joseph as Colonel in Chief during WWI, and he was an Austrian, and not a German.

The practice seems to have started post war (WWII) with National service during the 50's & 60's, and it does continue today as Alan has mentioned. However, from what I can understand there are limits to this excessive polishing and soldiers may well be asked to replace their badges at some point, exactly when would be down to the RSM I assume.

It is worth mentioning that Robin Hodges obviously only recorded what he was advised by members of the Regiment during his research, and the final draft, would I believe, have been viewed by members of the Regiment prior to publication.

I understand that Robin Hodges will be correcting this issue in his forth coming second volume on British Army Badges.

I hope this is of assistance.

Regards
Rob
Old 29-06-13, 09:31 AM

Default post subject

The posts by Cardiff Bloke re beezed badges are correct....as I said in my original post the rubbing out of the Hapsburg crest is a myth.
The badges certainly were not treated like that in my time, (47/48) I still have two of my original three (all identical re size by the way) and apart from a little rubbing in the centre are as issued.
Why would anyone want to treat a HM silver badge like that?
Old 29-06-13, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchley kid View Post
The posts by Cardiff Bloke re beezed badges are correct....as I said in my original post the rubbing out of the Hapsburg crest is a myth.
The badges certainly were not treated like that in my time, (47/48) I still have two of my original three (all identical re size by the way) and apart from a little rubbing in the centre are as issued.
Why would anyone want to treat a HM silver badge like that?
Hi
Just to clarify matters, these are not 'posts' by Cardiffbloke, they are my recollections of correspondence between himself and Robin Hodges that I was privy to, and they are not direct quotes.
Rob
Old 30-06-13, 10:23 AM

Default post subject

Sorry..Rob...But I'm sure I've seen posts re this subject by Howard somewhere....may be on QDG community page.

Last edited by sketchley kid; 30-06-13 at 10:51 AM.
Old 30-06-13, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchley kid View Post
Sorry..Rob...But I'm sure I've seen posts re this subject by Howard somewhere....may be on QDG community page.
No problem chap, I think its quite likely you did see some posts by Howard on the QDG community page as I think this issue caused a bit of a stir at the time.
Out of interest and for future reference, would you mind telling me when you served with the Regiment.
Cheers
Rob
Old 30-06-13, 02:42 PM

Hello Rob, I've just seen your post. Thanks for clarifying that. Cardiffbloke would certainly know. I understand from other posts that, fine as the Hodges book is, there are a few discrepancies, not to mention typos. It will be interesting to see if a new edition comes out. He said he intended to bring out a new one ten years after the first (2005). It will be interesting, given all the changes, amalgamations etc.
Cheers, David
Old 30-06-13, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Hello Rob, I've just seen your post. Thanks for clarifying that. Cardiffbloke would certainly know. I understand from other posts that, fine as the Hodges book is, there are a few discrepancies, not to mention typos. It will be interesting to see if a new edition comes out. He said he intended to bring out a new one ten years after the first (2005). It will be interesting, given all the changes, amalgamations etc.
Cheers, David
Hi David
No problem glad to be of help.

Regarding Robin Hodges book, I think its true to say it was a massive undertaking, and Robin had, to a great extent, rely on others to provide the correct information. Inevitably, there are some errors/oversights.

I spoke to Robin yesterday and I can confirm his next volume is being written and well on the way, though a publication date is not clear at this point in time. I'm sure it will be announced in due course.
Regards
Rob
Old 30-06-13, 08:14 PM

Default KDG cap

Rob...PM sent.
Old 02-07-13, 07:42 PM

Default QDG polished shield badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
Beaconview was, maybe PM him.
As Keith says, I'm ex QDG hence the change in user name from the old forum.
Howard and myself both were corporals in different squadrons at the same time.
I can confirm that the excess polishing of the badge,and especially shield is more than likely a QDG tradition,and has no particular historical significance that I'm aware of.
The WM badges were invariably bought from the PRI shop,as no one wore staybrite cap badges.There was however,a batch delivered circa 1980 which were thicker than usual, had a deeper pattern,and were gilt washed at the front for some reason,(much to everyone's surprise).
This was not a popular pattern badge ,and probably explains why this particular type tends to be more heavily polished,with the resultant loss of detail. Most of us used this one in N.I , blacked for tactical use by being coated with SLR barrel paint. I'll post some photos of the variants I personally wore some time this week.
Cheers.
Alan

Last edited by spreadeagle; 02-07-13 at 07:52 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 17-07-13, 01:38 PM

Default Erroneous Information

Apologies for delay as sadly, I rarely visit the site these days... Got a new woman in my life....
Ok to lay this one finally to rest.....
The claim that the KDG/QDG polish the shield of their badges to destruction because of some shame associated with Austria's involvement in WWI is complete and utter bollox!
This information was published in Col Robin Hodges' book after speaking to some individuals within QDG who quite frankly need horsewhipping.
In my 38 years wearing the QDG cap badge, I had never heard this tale and was quite mortified to hear that Col Robin had published without cross referencing this clearly inflammatory information with QDG Home HQ. I have, since publication of his book, spoken to Col Robin and he is now clear on this issue and has promised to write an addendum to his first book in the planned second. I have also spoken to the individuals who gave him that info and they too have been 'educated'.
For the record.... This was not a KDG custom at all; I have acres of genuine KDG cap badges that have absolutely not been polished to destruction and all living members of that regiment agree, that in their time it never happened.
Why it happened, and continues to happen is not entirely clear.... But if I were a betting man I would place a month’s wages on it being a post amalgamation bullshit thing, initiated by some RSM or other who wanted to see his face in the badge. I myself as RSM jailed those with over shined badges as I liked to see a polished badge but with some sort of shape to it.... So endeth the rant!!