British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-05-10, 09:49 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....
Default GMG Officers Badge - A sharing moment

I would just like to share some pictures of a rather nice badge that happened to come my way. Haven't really had the time or whether it was really appropriate or not..... But, I have a week off and so...
Its a HMS (1916) silver Guards Machine Gun cap badge (KK923) from Jennens & Co. I am really not sure how many of these are around, but (for me at least) its the first one I have come across in an age. Its pristine and the enamel is in first class condition.

Enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GMGHMS1916.jpg (99.7 KB, 80 views)
Old 28-05-10, 10:46 AM

Wow, what a gorgeous badge, top quality, well done for finding it & more to the point, thanks for showing it, all the best,
Wilf.
Old 28-05-10, 12:23 PM

Beautiful. The only one I've seen before is in the Guards Museum at Wellington Barracks.
Old 28-05-10, 12:37 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
Beautiful. The only one I've seen before is in the Guards Museum at Wellington Barracks.
Keith,
I have seen an unmarked silver one. However, I didn't buy it because a) it didn't have a HM b) the tarnish wasn't quite right and b) it just didn't have the quality I would have expected - a bit like the Life Guards badge that was shown a while ago. After looking at this one, I am convinced that the first one I saw was a fake.
Good hunting and I am glad it seems to have gone down well.

Rgds, david
Old 28-05-10, 04:11 PM

Very nice, the date and the maker is the same as mine, i have only ever seen two, at a hefty price as well !!
regards
Alan
Old 28-05-10, 08:59 PM

Would this be the type of fake referred to?
I've had this for some time and it came from the same scource as those nasty OSD yeomanry badges that were put up recently.
I have seen a genuine one close up and there is no comparisson.
Kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
Keith,
I have seen an unmarked silver one. However, I didn't buy it because a) it didn't have a HM b) the tarnish wasn't quite right and b) it just didn't have the quality I would have expected - a bit like the Life Guards badge that was shown a while ago. After looking at this one, I am convinced that the first one I saw was a fake.
Good hunting and I am glad it seems to have gone down well.

Rgds, david
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (96.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (54.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 29-05-10, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post
Would this be the type of fake referred to?
I've had this for some time and it came from the same scource as those nasty OSD yeomanry badges that were put up recently.
I have seen a genuine one close up and there is no comparisson.
Kevin
Kevin,
Indeed it is.... At the time, I hadn't seen the real McCoy before, but being fussy and having seen a number of genuine officer quality items and their workmanship, (now I wish I still had that fully fretted HMS KOSB badge...) the MMG badge stood out (or down in this case..) as a very poor attempt. I am glad I didn't bother. Not sure I will ever see another one like this in my lifetime.
Of course, if you had an officers silv/gilt/enamel 4RIDG, I might swap......
Good hunting, david