British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-04-22, 06:24 AM

Great collection, must have taken a long time. I am particularly jealous of the TYPembroke title

Jerry
Old 10-04-22, 09:30 AM

Thanks Jerry,

It has taken five years since I first put what I already had on a board. Some are very tough to get in my experience and I never suspected that to be the case when I started. Pembroke was one of those. Similarly for my London regiment I have the T 11 County of London as the last on my Wants list for five years already.

Happy to catch up Mick just message me, look forward to that, cheers Dean
Old 10-04-22, 11:50 AM

Well done Dean for completing your Yeomanry collection, a most impressive display, it'll be supurb framed.
Pleased for you
Chris
Old 10-04-22, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooke07 View Post
Thanks Jerry,

It has taken five years since I first put what I already had on a board. Some are very tough to get in my experience and I never suspected that to be the case when I started. Pembroke was one of those. Similarly for my London regiment I have the T 11 County of London as the last on my Wants list for five years already.

Happy to catch up Mick just message me, look forward to that, cheers Dean
Dean, it is an amazing set.
My goals are lesser I think, I want at least one shoulder title from every welsh regiment including the T Over numbers or corps. As you say though, the Pembroke Yeo are very hard to find, I don't have single example of any of the variants to them, I have at least one for the Glamorgan, Denbigh, Welsh Horse and obviously the more common ones for the Welsh, SWB, WG and RWF. It is part of the fun, finding them......

Jerry
Old 10-04-22, 08:11 PM

Thanks Chris and that would be an impressive assembly of Welsh badges Jerry. I shall look out for a T Y Pembroke for you, cheers Dean
Old 11-04-22, 02:22 PM

Hello Dean
What a wonderful achievement - it is a superb set of badges.
Incredible that you add titles too.
I think the WW1 badges are of such superb quality I too concentrated on them for several decades before getting side tracked into Commando and Special Forces. It simply became a need to focus given increasing expense. Metal badges are special. Your Kings Colonials, Kitchener, and collections in your albums are also awesome. Your approach emphasises the advantage of concentrating on particular areas and doing them full justice.
To my mind, you have displayed some of the finest boards of badges to be shared on this forum ... there are many collectors and collections I admire. I hope more boards will be displayed in the future ...
Please feel free to direct me to other sets you have pit together - although I appreciate Yeomanry, Kitchener and King's Colonials can be life time goals in themselves.
Regards
Mike

Last edited by Mike B; 11-04-22 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-04-22, 06:49 PM

Dean, what’s the badge after the Roughriders? It ought to be the Sharpshooters.
Old 11-04-22, 07:03 PM

Very nice indeed Dean. A real labour of love and not easy to find I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
Dean, what’s the badge after the Roughriders? It ought to be the Sharpshooters.
I believe it’s a GM Middlesex Yeomanry Keith. If memory serves it goes Lincs Yeo > Rough Riders > Westminster Dragoons > Sharpshooters.
Old 12-04-22, 08:44 AM

Does anyone know which dismounted Yeomanry took the relevant infantry badges in ?1917.
I believe there's a list in TNA.
Old 12-04-22, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

KLR

It's a bit problematic as what was supposed to happen and what was worn did not always match up. Whilst researching the Queen's Own Buffs, I came across an obituary in one of their journals about a Loyal Suffolk Hussars Trooper who had proudly worn his LSH cap badge throughout the war instead of the Suffolk Regiment one.

I have read accounts of several re-roled Yeomanry battalions being issued infantry badges such as the conversion of the Scottish Horse and the Fife and Forfar yeomanry into Black Watch.

It would be interesting to see a full list.

Alan
Old 12-04-22, 10:15 AM

I’ve been told by Keith Hook that an Army Order (presumably in 1917) gave Yeomanry units who converted to infantry the option of wearing their own badges or changing to the new parent regiment. This appears to have been at the discretion of the new CO so as Alan says it was mixed.

I would also expect there is what the CO mandated and what actually happened de facto depending on local conditions so whilst records may show the official line period photos are likely the acid test here as I bet some may show something different.
Old 12-04-22, 10:22 AM

Julian,
I have a RPPC of a member of the 25th Batt’n RWF wearing RWF title and grenade on his shoulder above the Welsh Horse regimental pattern arm badge below.
Old 12-04-22, 03:17 PM

Thanks, and yes but I would like it in B&W - I knew it would be in AOs of 1917.
I'll just have to search the lot.

There are lots of pieces re TF (etc) I need to look up in Kew !
(Oh well, seven years later)
Old 13-04-22, 01:28 PM

Oh my goodness did I state I had completed this 1914 yeomanry set. Keith I owe you a big thank you. I have substituted the MH for the wrong CoY title. It should be for the Middlesex Hussars who in order of precedence for 1914 is following the Berks Yeomanry. Indeed after the Rough Riders is the Sharpshooters as the 3rd County of London. I need to place their badge on that Board with a SSY shoulder title and the MH to the Middlesex Hussars. What the second MH badge was doing in GM when I had a WM version on the other board can only be late night and rum induced.

I shall have to vet my Sharpshooters badge and I have an SS shoulder title but not a SSY.

I have not completed my yeomanry set and a schoolboy error yet again.

Many thanks for your very positive feedback on my boards Mike B. and it is appreciated. There are many wonderful collections showcased on the Forum and I like to think in a small way I have contributed to the vast knowledge our Forum has amassed for future generations to appreciate what came before. Cheers Dean

Last edited by mooke07; 13-04-22 at 01:34 PM.
Old 14-04-22, 02:25 AM

Hi all,

Yeomanry hopefully now in the correct order of precedence. Sharpshooters following the Rough Riders and Middlesex following the Berks.

I will replace my Sharpshooters badge with a genuine looped version.

Shoulder title for the Sharpshooters is the T Y County of London.

Thanks again for the guidance, cheers Dean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C22C41E1-AF59-47A7-A163-5C47CEEC5B56.jpg (96.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg D37106F8-8C8E-4935-AD48-1E66D523AA2C.jpg (95.8 KB, 22 views)

Tags
yeomanry