British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-01-22, 09:08 PM

Default Small Batch Just Received Plus One

Just thought I would share a small batch I just received from one of my favorite, top dealers. He kindly lets me put items on hold until I can manage them and have enough to make a decent package. Some really nice badges her for me!

The metal UN beret badge looks to be what I've seen termed as the OR badge, where the top of the laurel leaves touch the globe. The one where they do not touch I've seen as an officers badge. I have no idea of this is valid or not. Note the officers embroidered badge the leaves do not touch the globe at the top.

The "Plus One" is the 72 Hampshire Yeomanry badge at bottom right. A truly generous gift from a member, received with much appreciation!!!

I have other packages coming, including a large one that has been accumulating for 3-4 months now. It's in the US, but not in today's mail, so hopefully soon!!!

Terry
Old 22-01-22, 09:27 PM

A nice little haul - the top left UN badge may be white enamel and gilt (the earlier type, I still have some I was issued in 1978 in Cyprus, Italian made ones) or white painted and "gold" plated ones, later issues, both with vertical brooch pins.
A number of variations exist, private purchase in various UN Missions eg I have a light blue and "gold" version purchased in East Timor, probably Chinese made, and what looks like a "normal white paint and "gold" badge but has w/e clutch pin fittings and "IPTF" (the UN Police in Bosnia) marked on the back, purchased fitted to a French made UN beret from the Turkish PX in Sarajevo.
Back in 1978 officers wore the metal UN badge, as time progressed they wore embroidered / bullion ones, and UN Police wore a number of variations of issue and private purchase metal and cloth.
Old 22-01-22, 09:55 PM

Default UN Officers Badge

Terry,
Excellent batch - well done. Here is a bullion embroidered UN officers beret badge, I also have a well worn officers beret with badge from the early 1990s somewhere.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F15AE687-E5EF-4B3D-BAA6-35469AA18C8B.jpeg (116.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 23-01-22, 12:59 AM

The multi piece AA badge is a now obsolete OR example to The Highlanders, now subsumed into the Royal Regiment of Scotland as 4 Scots.

CB
Old 23-01-22, 01:05 AM

Thank you Gentlemen! it's always a very exciting time when a batch package arrives, and I worry them through the mail all the way!!! Wait till you see my big batch!!! Plus a couple of others - a small lot from Canada and big surprise packet from a friend in the UK!

I checked my metal UN badge and it has a n/s pin with a close clutch. There are no maker marks. Can it be dated from that amount of info?

Thanks again,

Terry
Old 23-01-22, 09:10 AM

Those were cdertainly still being issued for Op Grapple in the early/mid 90s Terry.

The officer's badge is 'unusual' - I've never seen one like that but plenty of countries were involved in tours all over the world. Mine is very much like the one Tim showed, which I'm pretty sure was issued rather than purchased - I certainly don't remember having to pay for it!
Old 23-01-22, 10:59 AM

Here is that UN Officers Beret with badge from the early 1990s. A UK issued beret well worn and shaped!

Tim

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 23-01-22 at 11:43 AM.
Old 23-01-22, 04:38 PM

Gentlemen, Thank you for the additional information and pictures. I do see the difference between my embroidered beret badge and the others shown. Think I'll keep a lookout for a nice British one then.

I sort of got to collecting UN badges quite unintentionally, but they are an interesting item. Of course, just what I need....another area to collect!!!

Terry
Old 23-01-22, 08:57 PM

A variety of UN insignia shown here:

https://gmic.co.uk/topic/41369-united-nations-police/
Old 23-01-22, 11:27 PM

Thank you Leigh. I do have several UN brassards coming in my big batch shipment and will share it upon receipt. But I still want to find a proper British embroidered cap badge if the one I have is not.

UN is not a primary collection category, but I do fid them interesting.

From hte picture you can see another area I find fun is Scottish badges with vintage/original tartan backing.

I was also very thrilled to get the 18th Squadron patch due to their MERT involvement in Op Herrick, and the Flad batch black on green that was shown being worn on her Ruck in the "Our Girl" series. But this one will go in my flag case.

Thanks all,

Terry
Old 23-01-22, 11:37 PM

Thank you Leigh. I do have several UN brassards coming in my big batch shipment and will share it upon receipt. But I still want to find a proper British embroidered cap badge if the one I have is not.

UN is not a primary collection category, but I do fid them interesting.

I was also very happy to get the 18th Squadron patch due to their involvement in MERT during Op Herrick, and the black and green flag, which I saw i the "Our Girl" series being worn on the ruck sack. That will go in my flag display though.

The real gem is the 72nd Hampshire Yeomanry badge as that gives me three of the six I am seeking for the Non-RA units who served Heavy AA and Searchlight units that continued to wear their parent regiment badges instead of the RA ones. I also have another for this collection in the big batch, but not sure about it being a good one or not - however it will do nicely until I can get a good one.

Thanks all,

Terry
Old 23-01-22, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Here is that UN Officers Beret with badge from the early 1990s. A UK issued beret well worn and shaped!

Tim
Looks like the badge that was sold by (presumably by others too) Cairncross and Sons, of Filey, Yorkshire, circa 1999.
They sold this as the "small" badge and another larger badge which had the globe in a flat, silver fabric ( I bought one of each and wore the smaller as the large badge was far too ostentatious).
I can't illustrate the large badge as a few years after acquiring it I gave it to the UNPOL Commissioner, Sandi Paisley, in East Timor as it more befitted someone of that rank than a mere Plod.