British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-06-12, 12:22 PM

Default Unusual WW1 South African Military Nursing Service Badge

Obverse Nurse Badge.jpg

Reverse Nurse Badge.jpg

This is a very unusual and I am not sure if it is a variation of the voided version which I have in both silver and brass.
Old 22-06-12, 12:36 PM

Mueseum 21June 2012 A30.JPG

Mueseum 21June 2012 A31.JPG

The badge is larger than the version that was worn on the nurse's cape.

Any ideas/opinions would be welcome.
Old 22-06-12, 07:11 PM

Hi william
Perhaps a commemorative medallion?
Cheers,
Alex
Old 23-06-12, 03:38 PM

Hi Alex,

That is possible, I have never seen a reference too or one of these before.

Regards,

Will
Old 23-06-12, 04:03 PM

Default SAMNS WWI cape badge

Hi William,
Thanks for starting this thread on the SAMNS WWI badges. I have been meaning to do a thread on these as this is my primary collecting field, but just have not got round to it. Secondary interests would be SAMC/SAMS and then commonwealth medical, dental and nursing insignia.

I have not seen the badge you are quering before. I have thus far been sceptical as to the validity of brass SAMNS badges. My feelings is that all the WWI SAMNS badges should be silver. Even the second world war badges were silver up until c. 1944 when the SAMNS were issued with white metal cap and collar badges. The WWII cap badges had a brooch pin and the collars were lugged with the springboks facing each other. These were worn until 1953 when they were replaced with gilt cap and collars of the same design. The SAMNS was a voluntary service but became a permanant force unit of the UDF in October 1950. From documents I have seen the Gilt badges were first recorded by the quartermaster stores in 1953.

But back to the WWI badges. I am aware of 5 variations of the silver badge and two variations of brass badges. The brass ones appear to be castings of original silver badges. The 5 variations I have classified as follows based on the symbol seen between the words 'SOUTH' and 'SERVICE' at the bottom of the badge(see attached pictures):
Type 1. Silver hallmarked London 1915 with a 'pattee cross' symbol
Type 2. Silver not marked with a 'Fleur-de-lys' symbol
Type 3. Silver not marked with a 'East African cross' symbol
Type 4. Silver hallmarked London 1918 with a 'plus' symbol
Type 5. Silver stamped "SILVER" with a 'square box' symbol. This badge is larger than the others and more crudely made with letters typical of old woodblock engravings.

The brass versions I have seen are copies of types 3 and 4. These brass versions I have seen with brooch fittings as well as crudely soldered copper lugs with no indication of a brooch ever having been fitted. I have made an unfounded assumption that these brass badges may have been copies produced for the collectors market, but I stand to be corrected. It is very possible that they may have been produced in East Africa as most of them seen are of the type with the East African cross.

I have documented reference (that I cannot place at present) that the SAMNS were issued with two bronze springbok badges prior to departure for UK in September 1915. These I believe were standard officers "Union is Strength - Eendracht Macht Maagt" badges. These original contingent nurses were issued with Type 1 badges prior to leaving the UK for France. It has been said that these badges were all named to the specific nurse, but I have not seen evidence of this yet. I believe the Type 2 (Fleur-de-lys) badges were issued in France and Type 3 were issued in East Africa. Type 4 may have been a privately purchased replacement badge as it has a 1918 hallmark and made by silversmith Murrle Bennet & Company. Lastly Type 5 may have been manufactured locally and possibly post WWI era.

From photographic evidence nurses in the GSWA campaign and the original contingent can be seen without any badges prior to departure for UK. Photographs taken in UK, France and in the Union post 1916 all show nurses with the silver (or possibly brass) cape badge.

As for your badge it may possibly be an unknown incompleted variation or anouther copy that was not completed or even a commemorative medallion.

Regards
Steven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAMNS London 1915.jpg (34.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg SAMNS silver fleur-di-lys.jpg (37.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg SAMNS silver East Africa.JPG (45.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg samns silver WWI brooches.jpg (72.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg SAMNS brass 1.JPG (28.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg SAMNS brass 3.jpg (34.0 KB, 30 views)
Old 24-06-12, 02:36 AM

Hi Steven,

Thank you for the excellent and detailed response.

I often find that the descriptions provided on badges are often very basic and provide very little detail.

This is one of the main reasons why many questions are asked about the details of badges over the passage of time.

It was also a common practice for nurse's to have their names engraved on the reverse of their badges, I have one in my collection.

The brass badges that I have are of the same quality as the other similar "goat in the port-hole" types so I believe that they were legitimate issue.

I do have a number of postcard photographs of South African medical personnel in both Richmond and France during WW1 which may assist you in your research.

Regards,

Will
Old 24-06-12, 06:23 AM

Hi Will,

Thanks for your reply. PM sent re. nurse pictures.

Regards
Steven
Old 10-06-18, 06:36 PM

That is absolutely true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmed View Post
These original contingent nurses were issued with Type 1 badges prior to leaving the UK for France. It has been said that these badges were all named to the specific nurse, but I have not seen evidence of this yet.
Old 28-05-19, 08:10 AM

Very interesting thread, perhaps you could you show the reverse of your badges please?

Quote:
Hi William,
Thanks for starting this thread on the SAMNS WWI badges. I have been meaning to do a thread on these as this is my primary collecting field, but just have not got round to it. Secondary interests would be SAMC/SAMS and then commonwealth medical, dental and nursing insignia.

I have not seen the badge you are quering before. I have thus far been sceptical as to the validity of brass SAMNS badges. My feelings is that all the WWI SAMNS badges should be silver. Even the second world war badges were silver up until c. 1944 when the SAMNS were issued with white metal cap and collar badges. The WWII cap badges had a brooch pin and the collars were lugged with the springboks facing each other. These were worn until 1953 when they were replaced with gilt cap and collars of the same design. The SAMNS was a voluntary service but became a permanant force unit of the UDF in October 1950. From documents I have seen the Gilt badges were first recorded by the quartermaster stores in 1953.

But back to the WWI badges. I am aware of 5 variations of the silver badge and two variations of brass badges. The brass ones appear to be castings of original silver badges. The 5 variations I have classified as follows based on the symbol seen between the words 'SOUTH' and 'SERVICE' at the bottom of the badge(see attached pictures):
Type 5. Silver stamped "SILVER" with a 'square box' symbol. This badge is larger than the others and more crudely made with letters typical of old woodblock engravings.

The brass versions I have seen are copies of types 3 and 4. These brass versions I have seen with brooch fittings as well as crudely soldered copper lugs with no indication of a brooch ever having been fitted. I have made an unfounded assumption that these brass badges may have been copies produced for the collectors market, but I stand to be corrected. It is very possible that they may have been produced in East Africa as most of them seen are of the type with the East African cross.

I have documented reference (that I cannot place at present) that the SAMNS were issued with two bronze springbok badges prior to departure for UK in September 1915. These I believe were standard officers "Union is Strength - Eendracht Macht Maagt" badges. These original contingent nurses were issued with Type 1 badges prior to leaving the UK for France. It has been said that these badges were all named to the specific nurse, but I have not seen evidence of this yet. I believe the Type 2 (Fleur-de-lys) badges were issued in France and Type 3 were issued in East Africa. Type 4 may have been a privately purchased replacement badge as it has a 1918 hallmark and made by silversmith Murrle Bennet & Company. Lastly Type 5 may have been manufactured locally and possibly post WWI era.

From photographic evidence nurses in the GSWA campaign and the original contingent can be seen without any badges prior to departure for UK. Photographs taken in UK, France and in the Union post 1916 all show nurses with the silver (or possibly brass) cape badge.

As for your badge it may possibly be an unknown incompleted variation or anouther copy that was not completed or even a commemorative medallion.

Regards
Steven
Old 09-06-19, 03:25 PM

I really would be very interested to see the reverse of your badges, if at all possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Very interesting thread, perhaps you could you show the reverse of your badges please?
Quote:
Hi William,

Regards
Steven
Old 10-06-19, 03:30 AM

Hi Frank,
Sorry for late reply. In the throws of house renovations, so items all packed away and not easily accessed. When I get there I will scan the reverse of badges to show.

Steven