British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-04-22, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
The maker is "J. Daffern & Co" one that I've not seen often but it may help to date the badge
Found this photo , their hallmark was registered in Chester in 1909 and the company was still around in the 1930's. Also spotted a Gaunt marked "The Norfolk Regiment Association" badge on eBay.(photo 2)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daffern-1913.jpg (44.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg NRA.jpg (65.0 KB, 13 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted

Last edited by mike_vee; 13-04-22 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 13-04-22, 01:46 PM

Quote:
The maker is "J. Daffern & Co" one that I've not seen often but it may help to date the badge but the 2/6 th might also be useful.
From Wiki :
Quote:
The 2/6th (Cyclist) Battalion, formed in October 1914 as a duplicate of the 1/6th (Cyclist) Battalion, had much the same history as the 1/6th Battalion and remained in the United Kingdom until May 1918 when it was disbanded

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 13-04-22, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Hi JT,

Here goes! I was miles off on the "veteran" bit but I knew that it had something a bit odd about it. That "Committee" bit was what had me wondering.

The maker is "J. Daffern & Co" one that I've not seen often but it may help to date the badge but the 2/6 th might also be useful.

Looking for the "veteran" badge has made me revisit a few of the OCAs that I have gathered up and I realise that I do have doubles so may post these for sale at some point.

OK, a pair might make nice earrings for my wife but I don't know how she feels about this.....

Thanks for that.

Got to be a bit of a rarity, right?
Old 13-04-22, 04:16 PM

An old poster I've got, seen better days but I wasn't complaining when I picked it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _20220413_171446.jpg (63.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 13-04-22, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
An old poster I've got, seen better days but I wasn't complaining when I picked it up.
Fantastic find, Andy.
Old 13-04-22, 06:30 PM

Andy.
A wonderful survivor.
Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 13-04-22, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Thanks for that.

Got to be a bit of a rarity, right?
Hi JT

Agreed! I've tended to pick up stuff as and when like most of us (unless we are disciplined enough to follow a theme...) and then worry about what it is later...

I have very little idea about British regiments and what their history is but the OCA thing has always caught my attention as they are nice and colourful and usually well made.

One day, I'll frame them up and then find I've got THREE of some of them!
Old 14-04-22, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
From Wiki :

Hi Mike

Thanks for the info on that. I would still love to know what the "Committee" did. I've seen this designation on a few association badges (notably the fairly plentiful RA Association who seemed to have everything covered from "Chairman" to "Treasurer" to.....?????).

I think I have about 5 or 6 badges with various functions on a separate banner attached to the lapel badge.

J R Gaunt and others must have been rubbing their hands with glee...
Old 14-04-22, 01:16 PM

At the risk of some topic drift, here are a couple of images that complement the Volunteer poster.

2 (Great Yarmouth) Vol Bn members that volunteered for the 1 Volunteer Service Coy before departing Yarmouth. Back – Ptes A Nicholls A Coy, C Lay B Coy, LH French B Coy, OJ Olley B Coy, TA Beeching B Coy, HV Ward C Coy, TW Nicholls B Coy and WH Veale B Coy. Middle – Ptes GF Hewitt B Coy, R Vince A Coy, EG Nockles A Coy, R Wooden C Coy, WP Pratt B Coy, P Tilley B Coy, C Brett A Coy and HB Tyrrell A Coy. Front – Bugler W Vince A Coy, Cpl CJ Harrison B Coy, Sgt SJ Owles B Coy, Cpl CB Driver B Coy, Pte Frere I Coy . (Image scanned from: Allard, Peter. 2005. Great Yarmouth and the Boer War. Yarmouth Archaeology. pp. 25-30) Elsewhere this is said to be have been taken on the return of the men, but with the unfortunate Pte RD Vince in the frame, it has to date be late Jan or early Feb 1900.

A very fine memorial to the VSC in Yarmouth Town Hall. It may have been moved from an earlier venue, possibly an earlier Town Hall. (Provided by the Head Clerk’s staff, 2015)

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture1.jpg (97.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Picture2.jpg (42.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by rob carman; 14-04-22 at 01:27 PM.
Old 14-04-22, 01:40 PM

Thank you Rob, I'll print these off and stick them to the back of the frame, nice to be able to perhaps put the names and men to the poster.
Old 14-04-22, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I would still love to know what the "Committee" did.
Its not exactly what you are after but as an indicator of how busy the Committe may have been, I think the 6 Bn OCA was longer lasting and more active than the equivalents for 4 and 5 Bn, the other TF battalions in the Regiment. The reasons are easy to summarize: strong regional identity unlike 1/4 and 1/5 Bn after Suvla and Gaza2 and subsequent influx of non-Norfolk replacements, a very popular CO from a family with strong Volunteer and Territorial links and who was still the mens’ CO when many of them were later transferred to 9 Bn. It was active in the mid to late 1950s particularly in and around North Walsham. They errected memorials and celebrated 50 years since their 1908 foundation, had annual dinners and so on. As late as 1961 the Regimental journal had reports of their doings (Britannia and Castle, 1961, November, 6: 65).

Rob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture1.jpg (109.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Picture2.jpg (79.6 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by rob carman; 14-04-22 at 02:50 PM.
Old 15-04-22, 12:12 AM

Hi Rob

Many, many thanks for the info! Looks as if you've answered my question. So, in essence, part of the OCA "network" keeping former members up to date with association activities?

Don't know about any of the members of the Forum, but if anyone suggests being on a committee I leave the room and head for the nearest pub....