British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-10-21, 09:55 PM

Default South Staffords Title

Evening all.

Please let me have your thoughts on the attached South Staffords title.

Obviously originals are extremely scarce, so most titles encountered are repros,but this one is better than the typical eBay copy or re-enactors’ titles from well known outlets.

It’s hand embroidered to a high standard and the backing felt has a vintage knap to it. The serifs, in particular, have been particularly nicely done. The gold thread has a slight sheen and isn’t ‘fluffy’.

The backing reveals that the embroidery is very tidy on the back with no evidence of spaghetti.

The title has been hand sewn on something in its life. Possibly an old handkerchief to improve its prospects.

If the back is subjected to very strong UV light, there is no evidence of synthetic thread used in the internal construction. I have seen this on parachute wings that do not fluoresce from the front.

Potential negatives are that I have not seen an example of this pattern but even clear high resolution images of originals with provenance are scarce. I’m not certain how many patterns were produced but I doubt it was very many. The serifs are less pronounced than some examples with provenance. I’m also a bit wary of the backing which can certainly be seen on some repro titles.

The title has a vintage look and feel so my money is on a good quality repro, with a bit of age to it, but I’m always happy to be proved wrong.

Many thanks,
Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg South Staffords Obverse.jpg (25.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg South Staffords Reverse.jpg (27.1 KB, 70 views)
Old 09-10-21, 07:52 AM

A couple more pics showing more detail on the embroidery...

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image8.jpg (49.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Image9.jpg (48.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 09-10-21, 08:31 AM

I would not buy it.
Old 09-10-21, 11:38 AM

The uneven lettering and the backing - possibly hiding "spaghetti" stitching - make me suspect it to be a modern product from the Indian sub-continent.
Old 10-10-21, 04:39 PM

The cloth, the stitching, the backing are all bad in my opinion. A decent gap filler but nothing more.
Old 10-10-21, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
The cloth, the stitching, the backing are all bad in my opinion. A decent gap filler but nothing more.
Thanks Luc, pretty much as suspected. Please can you advise specifically what makes the stitching bad? I wondered if a private collector or museum had commissioned it as the maker went to some trouble with the embroidery, particularly the serifs, even if it's incorrect. Doesn't look like a mass produced copy. I don't recall ever seeing another one. I think I only paid a pound for it so no harm done!

Graham
Old 11-10-21, 10:39 AM

The serifs are details that seem applied seperately, they are not part of the letter as they should.
Old 11-10-21, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post
The serifs are details that seem applied seperately, they are not part of the letter as they should.
Thanks Luc, good spot. That was one of the things that aroused my curiosity initially before splashing out my pound. If faking a title, why go to that degree of detail when it would have been far easier to make the serifs part of the letter? All the copies I've seen, good or bad, have the serifs integrated. I agree that all the original examples I've seen with provenance, including at the Hartenstein, have pronounced serifs that form part of the letter stitching. In addition, as mentioned, I do not like the backing on my example.

Do we know how many variations were made? I've read that it was two somewhere but good images of originals are scarce and I couldn't say with certainty what the difference is if this is the case.

Graham
Old 12-10-21, 08:00 AM

I know two (slightly) different patterns with serifs. There is also a sans serif title but I'm unsure if that is genuine.
Old 12-10-21, 03:33 PM

Default SSTAFFS title from Oliver Lock's book

Good afternoon gents,

I hope it's allowed to add an image from Oliver Locks excellent book "British Airborne Insigna" to this interesting thread.

SSTAFFS-TITLE - 1.jpg

Marinus