British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-02-16, 07:21 PM

Default kent Volunteer Fencibles

hi All,

thoughts on this one please. Bought cheap, so not a problem if a dud...the horse's mane lacks definition ??

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kvf.jpg (39.9 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg kvf2.jpg (84.4 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg kvf3.jpg (76.5 KB, 50 views)
Old 23-02-16, 07:45 PM

Its a fake.

Widely available everywhere.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 23-02-16, 07:49 PM
Former Member

Mark,
This is a typical example of a badge which has had the value eroded by the proliferation of fakes! The definition of the whole horse and remainder of the badge is dreadful when compared to an original.

http://www.sellmymilitaria.com/site/...dge&Itemid=477

Andy
Old 23-02-16, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1 View Post
hi All,

thoughts on this one please. Bought cheap, so not a problem if a dud...the horse's mane lacks definition ??

Mark
Hello Mark,

Hope all is well with you?

Tim (TWGB) also has an example in one of his excellent VTC album, which (together with Andy's badge) you may find useful for comparison:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=20698

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=20697

Cheers for now,

JT.
Old 23-02-16, 11:46 PM

Default KVF

many thanks for the replies gents...As I said, only cost me a few pounds, so no big deal. What is of concern as a new collector is the amount of reproduction material out there.I know I should take heed of advice on this forum and only buy from reputable dealers or people on the forum, but it's always tempting to do otherwise..No doubt i will learn from my mistakes ' eventually '..

Mark
Old 24-02-16, 08:23 AM
Former Member

Mark,
Yes there are a lot of reproduction items, however they are distinguishable from the genuine items and I'm sure now that you've seen both you can determine what these differences are? That's all part of the experience and learning curve that is part of this hobby! As for only buying from reputable dealers and members of this Forum, that's probably a safer option, but you should drawn on the multitude of information available on the Forum and just a tad of homework should guide you to the good stuff.

Never mind if it only cost you a few pounds, send it back or return it as that's a few pounds that can be spent on a good badge.

Andy
Old 29-04-22, 04:55 PM

Default After a long search.........

I've been searching for a KVF badge for some time to join my 'Buffs Family' collection. I found this thread some time ago and took on board the points highlighting the copies. It's certainly true that there are many copies/fakes on eBay, with prices ranging from £6.00 to £37.00, and everything in-between.
To be fair, one or two sellers do describe them as copies, but the vast majority are trying to pass them off as genuine. There are a couple of good ones to be found on both eBay & elsewhere at prices higher than I was initially willing to pay; Geoff Newman has what looks to be a nice one at £55.00, and there is one on eBay at £69.00 (too expensive, and a bit of an odd colour?). I had almost given up, but decided to spend an entire afternoon just trawling the internet (other than eBay) until I came across what appears to be a very nice example (albeit slightly worn) at 'just' £34.00, which I snapped up. Following the original pointers in this thread I would say it's a good original badge (fingers crossed!).
Regards,
Leo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5489.jpg (82.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5490.jpg (78.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5491.jpg (90.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5486.jpg (88.9 KB, 47 views)
Old 29-04-22, 05:04 PM

It’s genuine.

I won one on eBay about 6 weeks ago, correctly described, for a tenner. This is one of those ‘faked to death’ badges where you can be lucky due to the plethora of fakes saturating the market glazing over many collectors eyes.
Old 30-04-22, 10:24 AM

Luke,
Wish I'd seen that one for a tenner! But I'm happy that I got a good one at last.
Regards,
Leo