British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-06-13, 12:48 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
It depends on what you mean by 'wrong' Dave. In the (very long) caption to my 1914 collection I specify exactly what dated Pattern each badge is. It does not cover what happened after the 1st WW (I only have this complete info for the KLR and for one or two other infantry units - such as the E Lancs which I looked up for Andy).
I reckon that manufacturers were given the official Pattern as a guideline but we all know that variants appeared - particularly perhaps, under the pressure of wartime. It is interesting to note though, that the 1905 Pattern of the E lancs badge was adhered to by the makers of the 1916 all GM version. Whether other manufacturers still made (BM) E Lancs badges between 1905 and 1931 with sliders still behind the crown is possible but it might be difficult to find the evidence.
Julian,
and some repositioned the slider before the 1931 "Instruction/Order" , Lambourne placed their sliders behind the crown during or around the WW1 period;

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=15575

Perhaps this was the reason for the request to reposition all sliders (E.Lancs badges)? Perhaps the Lambourne badges were less likely to breakage or did not require the sliders to be shortened for wear?

Who knows?

Andy
Old 27-06-13, 02:23 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
Hate to be picky Dave but your Northumberland Fusiliers is the bimetal Royal Norhumberland Fusiliers adopted in the 1930s.

PL
Hello Paul,

It's not a question of being picky, I need to know if, where and when I have dropped a clanger !! now I have had a look, is it the size of the flame pattern ??

Dave.
Old 27-06-13, 03:47 PM
Former Member

Dave,
you need an all Gm one and not the Bim version which is the later (post 1935) "Royal" version!

Andy
Old 27-06-13, 03:54 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Cheer Andy,

Proof positive of what can happen when we stop doing the check ups before we dive in and get the badges ??

It looks like I have an E.Lancs and a R. Northumberland Fusiliers to sell ??

Dave.
Old 27-06-13, 05:09 PM
Former Member

Dave, get them on SMM, lol!

Andy
Old 28-06-13, 07:44 AM

Thumbs up

Nice collection Colin,

As a novice in this field it gives me something to look forward to achieve and learn about as i go along, but could you tell me how long did it take you achieve and have you cleaned your badges your self as they are all in tip top condition. If so what have you used to restore them.

Best regards Shane.
Old 28-06-13, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch701 View Post
Nice collection Colin,

As a novice in this field it gives me something to look forward to achieve and learn about as i go along, but could you tell me how long did it take you achieve and have you cleaned your badges your self as they are all in tip top condition. If so what have you used to restore them.

Best regards Shane.
Hi Shane

With regards to cleaning, I've give them all a preliminary soak in warm water w/a drop of washing up liquid to remove grease, light dirt. For some that's enough, depending on condition when i get them. If there is polish residue, or stubborn dirt, I use a very soft toothbrush, and wooden toothpick to get into the crevices. Then, soak again and importantly: rinse well! A light wipe off with dry microfiber cloth, and you're good to go!
For very stubborn polish, dirt, they might have to soak for a few hours.
Sometimes, all it needs is a dry brushing, if it's just a tad of residue. Then soak/dry.
For verdigris, I've used undiluted lemonjuice and brush. Vinegar should work too, though haven't tried that myself. Again - rinse well!!

I jumped headfirst into the collecting, and it took me about 6 months to complete my Line Infantry

Cheers,

Colin

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 28-06-13, 09:15 AM

Crikey that's good. It took me about 5 years, but then I was an impoverished schoolboy at the time.
Old 28-06-13, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubervamp View Post
Hi Shane

With regards to cleaning, I've give them all a preliminary soak in warm water w/a drop of washing up liquid to remove grease, light dirt. For some that's enough, depending on condition when i get them. If there is polish residue, or stubborn dirt, I use a very soft toothbrush, and wooden toothpick to get into the crevices. Then, soak again and importantly: rinse well! A light wipe off with dry microfiber cloth, and you're good to go!
For very stubborn polish, dirt, they might have to soak for a few hours.
Sometimes, all it needs is a dry brushing, if it's just a tad of residue. Then soak/dry.
For verdigris, I've used undiluted lemonjuice and brush. Vinegar should work too, though haven't tried that myself. Again - rinse well!!

I jumped headfirst into the collecting, and it took me about 6 months to complete my Line Infantry

Cheers,

Colin
Well you've certainly done a great job.

Shane