British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-01-08, 12:34 AM

Default Kipling and King

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the quality of the photos in newer editions of Kipling and King, Navel and Military Press etc were perhaps not of the same quality as the original Frederick Muller editions. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks Philip
Old 11-01-08, 11:30 AM
Administrator

yes in the N&M P reprints the plates have an out of focus look about them, - some plates worse than others, but still good enough for basic badge ID purposes.
Old 11-01-08, 02:09 PM

I just got both volumes of the new edition for Christmas. I am pleased to have them mainly for the reference numbers and basic badge ID . However i was a little disappointed by the quality or sharpness of the photos and also that the badge pictures are not to scale. I like the Cox book on WW1 British and Commonwealth because they are to scale. You can't have to many reference books!!
Old 14-01-08, 06:19 PM

Default New book on British badges

On the subject on not having enough reference books, has anyone seen the new book, "British Army Cap Badges of the Twentieth Century" by Arthur Ward (Crowell Collectors series)? I just received it. There are some nice high quality illustrations of badges, but I wouldn't really call it a reference book as such. It's more of a series of essays on collecting, including a useful one about fakes and restrikes. However, there are a few mistakes I've spotted, such as saying that the Wiltshire Regiment's cap badge has a QVC on it when in fact it's a ducal crown, and another where the caption says "a lieutenant in the Royal Artillery", when it's actually a sub-lieutenant in what looks to be the Prince of Wales's Own West Yorkshire Regiment, or it could be the 3rd King's Own Hussars (3KOH), but I'm not sure whether the cavalry wore their rank on their cuffs in WW1.
Old 14-01-08, 07:49 PM
Administrator

On the subject of errors in books : Reg Cox: "Military Badges of the British Empire" page 301.... last picture.... Indian Ex-servicemen white metal lapel badge ???
Old 29-04-08, 06:03 AM

Did K&K ever issued an updated version of Vol 2 to address the badges that were produced in the 1990's?

Regards
Chris
Old 29-04-08, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr View Post
Did K&K ever issued an updated version of Vol 2 to address the badges that were produced in the 1990's?

Regards
Chris
The book has had an additional chapter added to cover more recent badges. Do not have the books to hand but will check up tonight when i get home.
Cheers, Dave
Old 29-04-08, 05:19 PM

Smile Discovering Military Badges by Roger Capewell

My daughter bought me this book (2nd edition) for Christmas a few years ago, has anyone else seen or indeed own a copy, your thoughts on the book as I have never heard anyone mention it on this forum.
Old 29-04-08, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejayuu View Post
The book has had an additional chapter added to cover more recent badges. Do not have the books to hand but will check up tonight when i get home.
Cheers, Dave

Have just checked my K&K vol 2. It was updated 1995 to include the years between 1978 and 1998. I have the 1979 edition as well and the pictures are much clearer in the earlier book.
Cheers, Dave
Old 29-04-08, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
My daughter bought me this book (2nd edition) for Christmas a few years ago, has anyone else seen or indeed own a copy, your thoughts on the book as I have never heard anyone mention it on this forum.
If you visit his web site, you can get access to many images of badges, possibly more than in his book. http://www.militarybadges.org.uk/
I have a copy of `Discovering Military Badges` which has 650 illustrations of badges. Not as good as Gaylor, Wilkinson nor K&K as many of the pictures are hand drawn, not photographs. There are many badges within his book though that are NOT in the other publications so for this reason alone it is worth purchasing! Roger has published a new book entitled 'MILITARY BADGES FOR COLLECTORS AND HISTORIANS' which will cost £13.75 delivered within the UK. Have not seen this but not badg value if you already have the other books mentioned.
Looking at some of the badges there are some definate bangers within the pictures. The Birmingham Pals badge with the hart with no goatie and devoid of hair! And the badge depicted as being Leeds Pals is actually Leeds Tramways that used a similar badge. The coronets are differnt and the budgies are better fed on the Leeds Pals item. In other words, beware of using it to positively identify genuine badges from.
Hope this helps, Cheers, Dave
Old 30-04-08, 12:26 AM

I wish they would put the K&K on CD. I would love to get my hands on a copy. I'm almost ashamed to say that I don't have a copy of either Vol1 or Vol2.

Michael
Old 30-04-08, 05:02 AM

Dave ,
Many thanks for your reply.
Cheers
Chris
Old 30-04-08, 07:47 PM

Default Photographing badges

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...ent=img413.jpg[/EMAIL]

I hope this link works !!!

What a pity that K and K and other standard badge books were not " written" after digital photography had become established.

I tried for years to get good photos of my collection with a pre digital SLR camera. When I decided to write a booklet on badges of the Kings Liverpool Voluteers and Territorials I approached the local photographic society who put me in touch with a member who was a retired lecturer with a top of the range digital camera and a computer and image software package to match.

I took a frame of badges to his house and his first effort ,without artificial lighting or a tripod ,was amazing.The attached is ( should be ) his first photo. It was far better than anything I had been able to achive in years of trying.

We are now used to great images in (for example) Bosleys catalogues, but I think we tend to forget the advances that have been made in photography in the years since K and K was first published.

P.B

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”