British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-02-12, 05:51 PM
LYPAO Boff

Default "Treble Gilt" .....what is it?

Just bought some PAOLYC buttons that are described as "Treble Gilt"...... can anyone demonstrate via a pic what "treble gilt" looks like?

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 12-02-12, 06:04 PM

Trebel gilt was a sort of trade mark put on the back of buttons , not a technical term but more of an advert like (whiter than white) Kev
Old 12-02-12, 06:09 PM
LYPAO Boff

ahh.... so its a Makers Mark then? These are ORs brass buttons @ 18mm between 1890-1900.....so I was not sure if I was going to get some eye blistering-ly shiny objects or just some brass buttons

Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 12-02-12, 06:24 PM

theoretically it was supposed to denote a higher standard of gilding than the usual.
In theory it was mercury guilded with three times the weight of gold, per gross of buttons to a standard gilt, but becomes more of an advertising mark than anything entirely factual.

a lot depended on the quality of gold used, so a 9K gold trebble gilt isn't much heavier in gold than a pure 24K single gilt. Hence you find a few marked as 'orange' to imply a better (richer) quality of gold too.
Old 12-02-12, 06:32 PM
LYPAO Boff

In that case these buttons must be Officer pattern then? Or just a good ORs make?

Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 12-02-12 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-02-12, 07:32 PM

Could be either really as it lost a lot of it's meaning and was never properly standardised and anything. i think, from memory it was meant to imply something like 5 grains of gold in weight per standard spread over a 12" diameter circle, hence a gross (144) of buttons (about 1") size.

Very common on english export buttons of the 1850's and 60 though, especially without a maker's mark

If O/R's then probably a lazy stamper not changing out a back mark die or found one of suitable size for cost.

In the end it just ended up meaning 'supposed to be better quality'
Old 12-02-12, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGLE IRON View Post
Trebel gilt was a sort of trade mark put on the back of buttons , not a technical term but more of an advert like (whiter than white) Kev
Really Kev, it might mean the gold content of the mercury gilt.
Old 16-02-12, 01:16 PM
LYPAO Boff

Here is the button (17mm).... the best yellow metal finish I have found so far. Possibly Senior NCO or just a very good Other Ranks make? Can anyone "date" the make (obviously its post 1844 and pre 1902)?

Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 16-02-12 at 01:21 PM.
Old 16-02-12, 02:09 PM

Hi Griff

I can't help you with the dating I'm afraid, but can tell you that the government passed a law stating the minimum gold content should be 1/96th of an ounce to cover a 1 inch button. I can't find the date, but am sure a button guru will put me straight.

I agree with Neibelungen. The term "Treble Gilt" is a marketing term to demonstrate the superior quality of makers buttons. Other terms were used as well, such as "extra rich", "best orange gilt" etc.

Nice button :-) Cheers, Neil
Old 16-02-12, 03:04 PM

I think you will be lucky to narrow it down much more as the is no maker or address as you sometimes get. Neibelungen gave a very good answer as stated of what treble gilded should mean . my short answer was based on the knowledge that large numbers of buttons made in Britain for export to places like America and the Ottoman empire were stamped in this way most of them never within a country mile of any gilding process, it reminds me of similar claims like quality assured or finest grade. As Neibelungen said particularly 1850s and 60s i suppose there were growing empires and army's at that time.I would guess 1850s and yes yours looks like it has a super gilding going by the photo. officers i would think. best regards Kev
Old 16-02-12, 03:40 PM
LYPAO Boff

Thanks for the replies guys, its much appreciated. If its an officers button I would be hard pushed to think of what uniform it would go on. The LYC did not wear khaki until 1900.... the other ranks wore brass buttons on stable dress..... but these buttons look too good to be mucking out the horses with?

I have 18mm buttons that are brass well polished and without a makers mark that are nowhere near the quality of these.

Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 16-02-12 at 04:04 PM.