British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-06-08, 07:55 AM

Default Why More Money Than Knowledge Hurts

Hi all
In this ever increasingly difficult collecting world to tell good from bad your best friend is knowledge and experience. I have learned the hard way and am still learning, hopefully limiting the financial pain. But I feel sorry for this collector.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&ih=023
Big sum to pay for a badge that is renowned as being one of the most faked and with no guarantee its genuine.
There are a few Aussie badges you wouldn't touch unless you had 100% provenance and this is one of them
BC
Old 01-06-08, 11:03 AM

This one is actually a British Yeomanry badge - Australian Squadron of The King's Colonials, which became King Edward's Horse around 1913.

Not many Australian badges have been faked but those that have are generally easy to spot, particularly from the rear.
Old 01-06-08, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

What does this line in the listing mean?
I am the holder of MILITARY MEMORABILIA COLLECTION PERMIT 2/07
Old 01-06-08, 03:34 PM
Badge Guru

I`m confused about this permit thing as well. A search on Google provides no answers? I'm now only guessing but is this something to do with shipping military collectables out of Australia?
Old 01-06-08, 03:36 PM

Smile Money and fame

I think the permit for military memorabilia collection means that the subject has been passed through an oxometer.
Old 01-06-08, 03:45 PM
Badge Guru

....baffles brain.

I think someone on the forum said that at the Royal Hopsital Chelsea there is a collection of original Colonial Yeomanry badges. If anyone here lives in Chelsea some snaps would be nice
Old 01-06-08, 10:33 PM

Hi There,Check cab drivers feedback around june 1st.His feedback does not appear in this sellers feedback,it has been removed. Regards Tyler115
Old 01-06-08, 10:42 PM

Default Australian Permit

This is the only genuine Australian permit i know of ....
Cheers Ted
Old 01-06-08, 10:46 PM

Default Another Try

Sorry forgot to put pic in
Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg army permit 001.jpg (33.7 KB, 80 views)
Old 02-06-08, 03:32 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

I have - what I believe to be - a genuine set of the Kings Colonials, including the Australian and Australasian types. I bought this as a complete set about 25 years ago (including the large HP type) - a gilt version of the side cap badge came from Bywyze about 18 months ago (its in my Album). The Ebay badge that you refer to - and which I have looked at - does not look anything like the ones I have - but, assuming that re-strikes were being made then?? - I am not sure whether this is a good sign or not. I will endeavour to take a few photo's today (fronts and backs) - I am currently at work - and add them to my Album tomorrow morning. Comments would be appreciated.

Rgds, David

I have since added the photo's to my Album (Bullion RIR). Anyone wanting a larger image, leave me an email address me and I will zip them up send them.
Same goes for any close-ups of the fittings etc.

Last edited by wright241; 06-06-08 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 02-06-08, 08:14 AM

I used to live near the Royal Hospital Museum and was a very frequent visitor, getting to know the staff well. The badge collection that is on display was put together by a couple of pensioners about 20-30 years ago and it does contain restrikes. Some badges were donated by Inpensioners but others were purchased/donated by dealers. So take care if using this as a reference.
Steve
Old 02-06-08, 09:30 AM
Badge Guru

Does anyone know of any close up period photographs of the Kings Colonial Badges being worn?
Old 06-06-08, 08:01 AM

hi guys
i have an old article on these badges. i am trying to find it. in the mean time, if your desperate to buy one, here you go. please note who the seller is. this isnt the first one he has sold either
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&ih=016

bet this sells for alot less than the others
bc
Old 07-06-08, 05:52 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....
Default Kings Colonials - Close ups of British African rear

I took some close ups last night of the back of the scroll on one of the badges from the set I bought 25/30 years ago and also one of a copy bought (knowingly as a restrike, but not sold to me as one - however the price was worth it). What is very obvious from the restrike ones is the general area at the back appears to be "crisp" but on closer inspection is not. I don't have a decent digital camera but my daughter bought me on of those QX5 microscopes abbout a week ago. So, here are two pictures showing the back of the corner of the scroll and the differences are very marked.
However, without me pushing these through Bosleys - and I do not want to sell right now - I still don't know - with absoute certainty - whether what I have in genuine or not. The question is was someone faking these in the mid 80's or not.
The picture shown is of the rear of the scroll underneath the title. The "fake" is almost solid, the "real one" is crisp. The same effect can be seen at the back of the Beavers whiskers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KC1_fake.jpg (78.8 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg KC1_Genuine.jpg (69.5 KB, 68 views)
Old 07-06-08, 09:09 AM
Badge Guru

Mr Wright,

On your original badges do the lugs have feet on them?

Thank you.