British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-04-08, 11:37 PM

Default Orig WW1 Collar Badge Unknown Irish Regiment

ebay item 350047880536 Now that is a Gung Ho collector. Seems I have seen the winners name on this forum before.

Cheers, Michael
Old 19-04-08, 11:43 PM

You have indeed seen this person before. A renown dealer that comes from South Yorkshire that has published works on anodised badges as well as special forces badges.
Dave
Old 20-04-08, 12:37 AM

I never saw this badge, I do know the seller, a very good lad in deed. I don't know the buyer, and on top of it all I can not see the photo in the auction. What badge was this and do you guys feel it was worth the money?

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 20-04-08, 02:41 AM

hi guys,
the pic is gone from the auction. any chance of getting a pic and are you saying it was cheap or expensive?
BC
Old 20-04-08, 02:50 AM

Nice badge, someone said it was a South African Irish regiment but with Quis Seperabit across the bottom makes me think it was RIR or RUR collar. Never seen this harp style for the above mentioned regiments before though. I saved a pic to my computer but I don't know how to transfer to the forum. Re the buyer, I think I know who it is now and I have his book on Anodised badges, Too bad it isn't signed by the author
Old 20-04-08, 03:51 AM

It was not a South African Irish item , and although the same motto as the Royal Irish (Ulster) Rifles it is not one of their badges.

The Rifles did not wear collar badges for most of their history. The exceptions being officers who wore collar badges in OSD and all ranks took to wearing collars after they were badged North Irish Brigade.

Other than this the Rifles rarely wore collars - as attested by various memos in several records at Kew.

Having said all the above I do not for the life of me know what unit the said badge can be attributed to.

John
Old 20-04-08, 04:02 AM

Hello John,

Not sure what you mean by OSD but they did wear the brass "RIR" and "RUR" collar titles. I am wondering if maybe it could have been a proto-type or maybe specially made for some officer. Blades on the back make it even more interesting. It is a strange one and in my 30 years collecting I have never seen this type.

Cheers, Michael
Old 20-04-08, 07:37 AM

Default Rifles wearing collars

Attached is part of some correspondence I had with Laurie Archer ( Designer of the K and K books ) in1976 regarding collars worn by rifle regiments/battalions. Hope it is legible.
P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6300.jpg (30.8 KB, 18 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 20-04-08, 08:03 AM

the winner is a member of the forum and i hope he posts a pic and a description of the badge when he gets it. if not, no worries, thats fine also.
BC
Old 20-04-08, 12:41 PM

The RIR/RUR did not wear collar badges extensively. Exceptions were the Officers Service Dress (OSD) worn during WW1 attached below are two variations and there is at least one more (this design also worn by the Liverpool Irish). I shall dig out dates and further material on collars in this Rgt later when I have more time.

On being badged NIB the design with the stringed bugle horn shown below was adopted in BB and chromed (for pipers) .

Both Dress Regulations and correspondances from the Colonel of the RUR to the War Office confirm time and time again that it was not common paractice for the rgt. to wear collar badges. The badge on e-bay does not seem (to me) to have any connection with this Rgt.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RIR OSD COLLAR 1.jpg (48.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg RIR OSD COLLAR 2.jpg (73.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg QC collars.jpg (49.1 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 20-04-08 at 12:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 20-04-08, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard-ri View Post
Hello John,

Not sure what you mean by OSD but they did wear the brass "RIR" and "RUR" collar titles. I am wondering if maybe it could have been a proto-type or maybe specially made for some officer. Blades on the back make it even more interesting. It is a strange one and in my 30 years collecting I have never seen this type.

Cheers, Michael
Hi Michael,

As the badge has blades on the back it will not be a collar badge, on OSD badges blades are indicatitive of a cap badge whereas loops were generally the method of fixing for collar badges.

As for what the badge is hopefully Peter will enlighten us.

Cheers,
Luke
Old 20-04-08, 04:12 PM

Default RUR collar badges

Just to stick my oar in again with another slightly irrelevant comment, but B-Company 4th Bn Royal Irish Rangers(TA) wore the blackened RUR collar dogs in No.2 dress. This battalion also wore the Tara harp cap badge which is still worn by the London Irish Company. Not quite sure what 4/5 Rangers (TA) wear since the merger in '92. I think the Royal Irish Rangers TA company in Armagh might have worn anodised RIF 2 piece collar badges, but not 100% on that one

John
Old 20-04-08, 04:57 PM

Default unknown irish badge

The collar badge is that of the Irish Canadian Rangers. An Irish Unit formed in Montreal at the start of WWI, and disbanded shortly after. Managed to pick up one of these collars on ebay about four years ago for $20 !!.
Old 20-04-08, 08:55 PM

Sweet, Thanks for the post Irish Horse. Well that gives us so called expert collecters a kick in the teeth. So many opinions and so many mistakes.

Cheers, Michael
Old 20-04-08, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishhorse View Post
The collar badge is that of the Irish Canadian Rangers. An Irish Unit formed in Montreal at the start of WWI, and disbanded shortly after. Managed to pick up one of these collars on ebay about four years ago for $20 !!.
Irishhorse,

Does your example of that collar badge have baldes also do you have any idea why/is it a Canadian badge thing? I would seem I have a portion of humble pie to eat, glad I've learnt something new though.

Luke