British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-06-10, 11:15 PM

Hey Tinto, I'll add it in and repost.
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Project4.jpg (20.5 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by Snowdrop 68; 14-06-10 at 11:23 PM.
Old 15-06-10, 01:21 AM

Looks great, Bill.
Cheers, Tinto
Old 15-06-10, 04:03 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdrop 68 View Post
Hey Guys,

I like the idea of some sort of lapel badge to identify members. I've been pottering about with a couple of ideas but I personally like this one best. It can of course be altered to suit the needs of the members. What are your thoughts.

Regards
Bill
Bill,
Wish I had the time matey, but quite frankly I don't need it, because your design looks very good to me. If we do this by committee, it'll take an age.
Well done, its a nice 'logo' and well thought out. Similar to a closing line from an old Bob Dylan song (not sure whether many people will have heard of him here...)... you can't keep all of the people happy all of the time... Will do for me. I'll go for a HMS one of course...................................
david
Old 15-06-10, 10:19 AM

Bill, it looks great. Regards Andrew
Old 15-06-10, 11:23 AM

Sold!!, I think if we can all agree it appears to be the perfect representation
Very well.

Chris
Old 02-07-10, 11:45 PM

Thumbs up

wow i really started something with this post ,well at least it provoked a discussion with good points and some not so good. 35 replies got people
thinking,[great stuff]. cheers andy.
Old 03-07-10, 02:15 PM

Well I think we have the design. Now how do we take to all of the members to get their support on this?
The next challange is Who has the time and energy to make this fly. If we get a quote on doing the pin and post it, with the idea of pay first so no one is left holding the bag so to speak that should Yes?
If we are looking at a price around $20 CDN each I'm in for 2! Under the $20 mark count me in for 3, and 19.99 doesn't count

Chris
Old 03-07-10, 02:39 PM

If anyone wants to use my design , feel free. I have a better resolution design, just pm me and I'll email it to anyone who wants it.
Regards
Bill
Old 03-07-10, 07:01 PM
Banned

Hi gents,

Interested in this one,

Anyone heard of the k.I.S.S Principal used by Army instructors?

i.e. - "Keep it simple Stupid", No offence intended.

If you go to the top of the page gents, you will see we already have a badge!

Why not use our LOGO? The badge could be made of plastic say 50x20mm in size and carry a simple serial number 0001 etc.

This would not denote any form of seniority but merely be a useful for ordering,
i.e. first come first served and what ever number you end up with goes next to your user name on the forum.

That way it is very easy to administer and would keep things friendly and simple.

There is a badge manufacturer in my town who I would be happy to aproach with regard for costing puproses for an initial run of 3000 which in that quantity would I assume keep it fairly cheap.

We would have to push it to the membership in order to guage interest so we aren't wasting our time and efforts.

If permission can be given for me to use the logo I would be happy to see if they would do us a sample badge to see what response there is, happy to do this at my own expense if it is not too steep.

Thoughts please.

Ry
Old 03-07-10, 09:28 PM

Charlie585,

As much as I can see you point about K.I.S.S. and the forum crest at the top of the page I would offer my disagreement to your primary point.
When you look at the purposed crest for the label pin I doubt that few could disagree that it represents the majority of the member nations. Are we not a collection of collectors from the four corners of the Commonwealth?
I believe the idea behind the label pin is to show that we are proud members of this forum. I believe this purposed design readily show the diversity of this forum. In an earlier post, one of the concerns mentioned was the possible back and forth conversations
Bill,
Wish I had the time matey, but quite frankly I don't need it, because your design looks very good to me. If we do this by committee, it'll take an age.
Well done, its a nice 'logo' and well thought out. Similar to a closing line from an old Bob Dylan song (not sure whether many people will have heard of him here...)... you can't keep all of the people happy all of the time... Will do for me. I'll go for a HMS one of course...................................
david
I first noticed the logo of this forum however nice didn't encompass those of us from overseas. I hope in no way that my support of this design is taken as disrespect of the founding members and logo. Guidance from those founding members would not be unreasonable request so I guess am asking for their thoughts on this. I hope that we can proceed forward quickly, friendly and collectively satisfied and united. After all we all appreciate a well designed badge!
Chris
Old 03-07-10, 11:08 PM
Banned

Hi gents,

Re my post above it looks like I may have ruffled a few feathers, from my PM box.

No disrespect was intended to the input and efforts of any other forum member.

I assumed that we were still at the discussion stage of this project, my suggestion was simply my opinion with regard to keeping things simple by maintaining the current identity of the forum. I was happy to pursue my suggestion of producing a Physical sample for the purpose of gaining the opinion of the forum and if it appeared that I was trying to steal anyone's thunder or hijack the process please be assured that this was not my intention.
To have the forum go to war over what really is a side issue from our main topic with the risk of closing the forum is the exact opposite of my wishes.

Regards to all.
Ry
Old 04-07-10, 06:30 AM

Ry
No thunder, no offense taken. I to was merely expressing my views. Simplisity is definately simple. I guess I feel that since I'm across the pond that "we" all have input, and sometimes when I look at our current logo that we're left out. It is a personal view and likely not the view of the majority. When the opportinity presented itself for this label pin I jumped on with both feet. It also caused me to likely put my foot in my mouth too. The design is still in the early stages and it is right that we all have our say in "our forum" I guess I just couldn't see how this purposed design would cause friction. Our current logo may have been what we started with or has evolved to what we have today, in my view it lacks the signs and simbols of our current diversity. The idea of a pin (crest) that is more reflective of the membership I jumped all over. Your opinion does mater to me and it to matters to all of us, that I am sure; so with that THANK YOU. I have always believed what is not broken don't fix, I guess I feel that our current logo is wanting. I sent an email to the administration asking for their input with special attention to the senior members views as well. I would be honoured to wear whatever we deside to do, however I do still lean to the one submitted for review. If you are willing to show both our existing logo and the possible one to your contacts that would be great.
War, closing the forum is my knee jerk after the last insident where tension became high. I hope that those who currently support the overal idea and further like the purposed drawing can count on you for you continued input. Maybe simple will be best, maybe the forum founders may see a possible design that they too feel the show how far we have come and embrace it. Your statement
our Logo is what defines us as a group of likeminded chaps with a passion for our hobby and to wander too far away from that in my opinion could lead to confusion and therefore nullify the whole point of the exercise

I don't see the logo in that way; I see it simply as a single sided logo. With this other design it brings to the table all of us and our goals. It shows the Commonwealth through imagery by the vary nature of the animals represent. Who can argue the beaver is not Canada; the kangaroo is Australia the kiwi New Zealand and the springbok is South Africa. More importantly lest look at the centre field, tell me how that doesn't represents the UK and more importantly the Sovereign and the starting point of where all of our badges are based from and will forever link us together.
I do not have the means to pursue the making of this pin and one voice is not a collective voice. So again please input you views. Maybe this note may have convinced and you will support this idea at the very least how all sides of the forum can be represented. Now my question to you is our current logo, does it offer an international feel? Can the member’s abroad show that the forum that we all want to protect and grow is not just UK?
Again, I am sure my thoughts are of a few members. Our forum page clearly shows Canadian influence, our classified show the other countries. Our reference to forum members that have sites that deal in selling collectables is not limited to UK. Our albums show a very wide range of countries and times.
We truly are now a Commonwealth of collectors who not only comment and introduce native badges but also collect badges from outside our county of origin. I collect CEF badge, I collect Commonwealth badges of Highland units and sister regiments. Just look at the Artillery, the Signal Corps, The rifle regiments and Highlanders you can clearly see OUR connection to our Commonwealth and a pin that can show this means our "brotherhood" is represented.
K.I.S.S. leaves the forum at status quo and I think we have grown and need to feel we of those abroad are functioning members and deserve to be incorporated.

I again say please express your opinions b/c it is only at the starting block. I know with your help and opinions to mean something to me and it isn't that they do not want to be part of this discussions

Thank you a million times over and if I have again come on strong, I hope that you will not take offence and just see the enthusiasm.

Chris
Old 04-07-10, 09:53 AM

I like ' Marway Jaime' sample. I'm trying to put together a simple web page so that I can send it to the forum users and they will be able to print out the ' forum members badge'.

before I go on with it to much, iv added a sample of the page. and if you think its ok and you like or dislike the idea then please let me know.

the user can enter some text into the boxes on the page and then use print preview to print it out.

Derrick.

Opps, i should try to go to the last page before posting a reply.....
ill bin it.

Last edited by Derrick; 29-09-12 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-07-10, 10:17 AM
Administrator

here's a simple design based on the forum logo colours:

I guess someone will have to 'take charge' of badge production (not me I'm clueless) if we decide to have one. (I would buy one though, whatever design was chosen)

plus the person running the members badge show would have to do some research, re: costs, how many would buy it etc? perhaps poll the forum?

you could seriously end up out of pocket if you get it wrong.

ps I would be surprised if you could sell 100.
Old 04-07-10, 10:34 AM
Administrator

you could knock out some cheap ones with a button badge maker machine.

print off the image above....and....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaOroILzijc

if all you wanted was a symbol for fairs / shows etc.