British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-07-10, 01:44 PM

Default 1914 Infantry cap badge Pattern numbers

I’ve been thinking of providing something useful for Forum Members for a while.
So I’m adding the list of War Office Pattern numbers to the photograph of my collection of Foot Guards and Infantry – My Album / 1914 Infantry.

I’ve had this data for a number of years now. The information came from TNA and NAM, mostly my own research but some came from a friend no longer with us.

This provides a snapshot of what patterns were in use in 1914 (WG actually 1915). Most cap badges were first sealed in the 1890s – though some Scottish Glengarry badges date from a decade earlier.

Some reflect changes since the first pattern, for example most dated 1901 to 1903 reflect the change from QVC to KC. Others are changes of design – there are a few added notes. There is information on what happened in 1916 but I’m hoping to publish an article on those. What changes occurred from 1914 to about 1939 are also available at TNA.

I’m afraid I never (as a boy) really collected cavalry or Corps badges – but there will also be details at TNA. The only other Pattern numbers (and more) that I have researched are for the King’s Regt – and I’m still working on that !

Enjoy !

Last edited by KLR; 24-07-10 at 09:57 PM. Reason: HELP and failure ! - done, thanks
Old 24-07-10, 01:58 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Julian,

This is sure to help me, thanks in advance if it does !

As for editing a title, I think you can access your thread, click on edit, click on advanced and then alter your title, if you can't, it's an emergency message to Mike.............

Dave.

Hello again Julian,

This won't get my doors done but you have made my day and I've only just looked at one example, I recently bought a very nice Leinster from a friend which has lugs, we discussed the lugs/slider situation at the time and decided that even if, by 1914, sliders were being used, there would be no rules stating that a soldier who had been in the Leinsters for a long time ( we assumed his badge would have lugs ), should change it unnecessarily, so I've acquired a ' stella ' badge at a good price and I'm well pleased....

DC.

Last edited by davec2; 24-07-10 at 02:14 PM. Reason: PS
Old 24-07-10, 02:32 PM
Former Member

Julian,
thank you! A superb reference (now get the lawn done!) - Andy
Old 24-07-10, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Great info- which came first the 3 lugs versus 2 lugs argument about the Seaforths appears to have been answered!

On a separate note does this not push sliders forward to pre 1901 from 1906 in some cases?
Old 24-07-10, 09:16 PM

Hello Alan0,i too have a Seaforth badge with 3 lugs and i was wondering why!Rob.
Old 24-07-10, 09:34 PM

Julian,

You managed to change the title of this thread then ??

As with others, my Seaforth has three lugs, I also have one with four but I think it may be part of the Queen's Own Highlanders ?? does anyone know ??

Dave.
Old 24-07-10, 09:45 PM

Two notes of caution, sliders were (generally) introduced in 1906. The note as to which badges have sliders or lugs relates purely to my collection and means nothing - except probably after 1906. The RACD records would not normally change a pattern because of a change in fixings (v occasionally - eg WG in 1915) but there are general remarks in the RACD ledgers about changes in 1903 and 1906. The SP cards (in museum collections) also have annotations noting minor changes, eg sliders etc - the KLR one does certainly.
I'm afraid I have no idea about the lugs on Seaforths - I think I've had that one for 35 odd years - whether it is correct for the date or not, I dont't know - but the Pattern is !!!

The other thing I'd say is about nomenclature !
It occurs to me that people who designate badges as eg Post 1926 or Pre 1926 is 99% because they don't know what date the pre 1926 badge was !!!!!
I prefer to refer to badges by Pattern / year - anyone can look them up !

Last edited by KLR; 24-07-10 at 09:55 PM.
Old 24-07-10, 10:34 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Julian,

You managed to change the title of this thread then ??

As with others, my Seaforth has three lugs, I also have one with four but I think it may be part of the Queen's Own Highlanders ?? does anyone know ??

Dave.
Dave,
if it has vertical lines behind the lettering on the base scroll it is Seaforths, if smooth then it is a QOH/Highlanders that's missing the thistle device!

Andy
Old 25-07-10, 07:11 PM

That just sent me running upstairs to check mine - yes, ribbing = Seaforths !
I know about ribbing, seeding, lettering etc on KLR badges but never knew about these Scottish things ! NOW - I wonder if the QOH came with 3 lugs ????
Old 26-07-10, 05:05 PM

Thanks for posting this Julian, most helpful.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Old 28-07-10, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Dave,
if it has vertical lines behind the lettering on the base scroll it is Seaforths, if smooth then it is a QOH/Highlanders that's missing the thistle device!

Andy
Hi Andy,

For once I'm going to be something that I don't favour too much in others !

I'm going to be a little pedantic here, we've spoken about the differences with the Seaforth and the QOH scrolls before, everyone seems to think ' striped ' is Seaforths and ' smooth ' is QOH's.

Here are four badges I have, I would appreciate opinions on these please, from anyone !!

Thanks again.......................going back to my normal persona

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg forum question 002.jpg (89.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg forum question 003.jpg (87.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg forum question 004.jpg (88.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg forum question 005.jpg (68.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 28-07-10, 05:31 PM

Dave,
Sometimes you have to consider the evidence and come to your own conclusions.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”