British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-07-15, 09:10 AM

Default Worst depiction of uniform on film

Hi Guys
It's too wet and windy to go to the range and the wife's away fetching our grand-daughter for her summer holiday so I thought it would be fun to see what's the worst ever depiction of uniforms we've seen on film

Last night i was browsing through Netflix and found He Who Dares - Siege of Downing Street and that's my nomination.

The hero(?) a major in the SAS attends a hearing in the Cabinet Office to see if he's to be cashiered. He is wearing a Corporal's uniform with a Royal Artillery (I think) cap which he never puts on. His tunic has a Golden Jubilee medal ribbon and below that three unrecognisable medals pinned on separately to the pocket flap and all of different lengths. Oh yes and designer stubble. He salutes Navy fashion on entering and RAF fashion on leaving - still without his hat. There's a flashback scene of an SAS funeral in which all the officers are wearing Cpl's rank.

CGS presides - he has five similar medals and a beard - in fact he looks like a fat Jan Smuts.

At a later COBRA meeting the Commander Special Forces is addressed as General - he's wearing major's rank badges with a second pair of crowns as collar dogs. He has five rows of assorted fruit salad mounted on the flap of his pocket.

Strangely the Commissioner of the Met has the right uniform, but then you can easily hire that from a fancy dress shop.

Beat that chaps.
Old 20-07-15, 03:09 PM

Sounds like a real dog's breakfast! I won't be watching it.

David
Old 19-03-22, 10:14 PM

Default Badges in Film and TV

A still showing Major/Corporal SAS/RA in the Cabinet Office saluting naval style!!!!!!

Tim

More on badges in Film and TV in my album https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=2439
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18BB69A6-1853-45B3-83FB-22C79690C15C.jpg (40.4 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg A0AE9558-37DB-4E42-A36E-099DC6827EA9.jpg (95.6 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 20-03-22 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Add dvd cover
Old 19-03-22, 11:50 PM

That is a screamer. Sadly, the average Joe and Jane Blow would not likely notice anything was amiss.

CB
Old 19-03-22, 11:54 PM

I am guessing that our hero was a Navy Seal who transferred to the British Army during the situation, but due to time length of the movie they had to cut that part out!

Besides his medals looking ridicules, shouldn't they have been court mounted.

Yep, definitely one to pass on!

Terry
Old 20-03-22, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
A still showing Major/Corporal SAS/RA in the Cabinet Office saluting naval style!!!!!!

Tim

More on badges in Film and TV in my album https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=2439
Even Frederick Forsyth Scuttle and his acolyte are closer to the mark when they throw one up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EAOHFAXX4AAL_D5.jpeg (17.4 KB, 81 views)
Old 20-03-22, 12:54 PM

It makes you wish you could hire on as the military advisor.
Old 20-03-22, 07:44 PM

I was watching - for want of anything else, in between rugby matches, yesterday... The Sea Wolves. The film is based on a true story and which starred Gregory Peck, Roger Moore and David Niven. And a host of superannuated British actors from Trevor Howard etc.

Peck is masquerading as a tea planter, but is SOE; Moore is a uniformed officer serving with the Ministry of Economic Warfare at GHQ Delhi.

In uniform, Moore passes a soldier, who throws up a salute. Which he returns, with his thumb dangling towards the floor. It was only the angle that prevented it from being full-on Fred Scuttle. But.... Moore had been a commissioned officer in real-life, for Pete's sake!!

My Dad's pet hate - having been an officer himself - was the shoulder strap OVER the lapel...it still happens, too much.
Old 20-03-22, 10:40 PM

Do you mean epaulet ends over the collar in service dress!

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 20-03-22 at 10:45 PM.
Old 21-03-22, 12:04 AM

Actually old Alfred H. Hill was in the REME in WW2 and certainly knew how to put up a proper salute. Don't know about Boris though....
In this regard, if one searches on utoob for the Guards number 1 through 5 episodes, a documentary of about 1964 or 65, there are instances wherein some officers are throwing some very strange, perhaps "posh", salutes

CB
Old 21-03-22, 03:42 AM

In my days in ROTC, my only "military" service due to a hole in one of my heart valves, we were taught that a salute went up the buttons to the tip of the cap/hairline and down the buttons. That is seldom seen in movies showing Americans though!

Terry
Old 21-03-22, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2817 View Post
Do you mean epaulet ends over the collar in service dress!
That as well! And in combination, source of much wailing in our house for many years!
Old 21-03-22, 02:42 PM

Saw this last night, "Nollywood" film "Chanc-ers" on Netflix - I don't know how accurate the other details may be on this Nigerian policeman's uniform but he wears his "NPF" shoulder straps upside down throughout the film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220320_195621~2.jpg (46.3 KB, 35 views)