British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-03-22, 08:39 PM

Default Para wing on display at Chute & Dagger AGM

I attended the Annual General Meeting of Chute & Dagger UK last Saturday at the Holiday Inn Hotel in Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire. This is the first time I’ve attended the AGM and what a great day out it was to see displays of Airborne and Special Forces insignia, as well as being able to trade badges with fellow collectors. I picked up some unbelievable bargains.

One of the displays, put together by Phil Lawton, was a large collection of NZ / Australian wings and insignia. However, one set of wings stood out because I’ve got the same type and I’m sure I’ve seen a black and white photograph of a British WW2 officer (possibly SOE) wearing this type on his chest. I think I saw the photo on this forum but can’t be sure and can’t find it. I think it's of British origin rather than Australian.

Can anyone shed more light on this para wing, know what the previous thread was or have more knowledge on this pattern please?

Many thanks

Richie

PS. I’d well recommend joining Chute and Dagger. Great bunch of guys to have a pint with and their journals are superb.
chuteanddaggeruk@yahoo.co.uk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Para wing.jpg (41.0 KB, 140 views)
Old 14-03-22, 03:45 PM

Hi Richie,

I think you mean Tony Brooks SOE JB

https://www.specialforcesroh.com/ind...a-brooks.4444/

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiejones1 View Post
I attended the Annual General Meeting of Chute & Dagger UK last Saturday at the Holiday Inn Hotel in Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire. This is the first time I’ve attended the AGM and what a great day out it was to see displays of Airborne and Special Forces insignia, as well as being able to trade badges with fellow collectors. I picked up some unbelievable bargains.

One of the displays, put together by Phil Lawton, was a large collection of NZ / Australian wings and insignia. However, one set of wings stood out because I’ve got the same type and I’m sure I’ve seen a black and white photograph of a British WW2 officer (possibly SOE) wearing this type on his chest. I think I saw the photo on this forum but can’t be sure and can’t find it. I think it's of British origin rather than Australian.

Can anyone shed more light on this para wing, know what the previous thread was or have more knowledge on this pattern please?

Many thanks

Richie

PS. I’d well recommend joining Chute and Dagger. Great bunch of guys to have a pint with and their journals are superb.
chuteanddaggeruk@yahoo.co.uk
Old 14-03-22, 10:05 PM

Hi JB,

Yes, many thanks for the info. That's the picture I was thinking of.

Richie
Old 15-03-22, 10:16 AM

Default Wing on black backing

Hi Richie,

It was a good meeting and good to finally be able to meet up after our two year hiatus.

That wing caught my eye as well. I too am sure is is British made and private purchase. Phil said it was probably mislabelled when he picked it up and so ended up in the Australian and New Zealand display. This was as usual excellent with some very interesting items.

As you say if you are interested in Airborne and Special Forces insignia with some background then Chute & Dagger is well worth joining.

Best regards,
Andy