British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-08-18, 03:43 PM

Default Airborne Col/Brig Beret. Thoughts please.

This beret was posted on a Facebook site. The poster claims it as genuine. I said I didn't agree because the back of the badge was black and not maroon. He replied that during the war and into the 50's the black one was worn. Does anybody know when the maroon ones were introduced?. As you can see from the pictures this one has the Queens crown, so must be at least seven years after the war. Your expert views would be very welcome on this gentlemen. Thank you in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beret 2.jpg (27.1 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg beret 1.jpg (48.0 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg badge.jpg (34.9 KB, 30 views)
Old 04-08-18, 05:19 PM

I don't think Staff and General officers did have their beret badges embroidered onto maroon actually during the war, unlike some of the Corps subalterns and field rankers, it is a little difficult and you can only go off surviving examples that have a provenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo View Post
This beret was posted on a Facebook site. The poster claims it as genuine. I said I didn't agree because the back of the badge was black and not maroon. He replied that during the war and into the 50's the black one was worn. Does anybody know when the maroon ones were introduced?. As you can see from the pictures this one has the Queens crown, so must be at least seven years after the war. Your expert views would be very welcome on this gentlemen. Thank you in advance.
Old 04-08-18, 06:21 PM

Thank you for that Frank, do you think a staff officer would purchase his own beret without a real leather band?, and the back of the beret?. If I had gone on parade with a knot like that in the back of mine, my sergeant major would have kicked me into the middle of next week.:
Old 04-08-18, 08:21 PM

Nice to see my images shared here without my permission and my knowledge of headgear called into question behind my back.

I am more than happy to debate the matter here but being asked would have been polite.

The beret is a one looker mid 1950's officers private purchase beret with a textbook ribbed silk edge trim for the period.

Jerry
Old 04-08-18, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
Nice to see my images shared here without my permission and my knowledge of headgear called into question behind my back.

I am more than happy to debate the matter here but being asked would have been polite.

The beret is a one looker mid 1950's officers private purchase beret with a textbook ribbed silk edge trim for the period.
It’s okay you get thick skin after a while and don’t care!
Old 04-08-18, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr View Post
It’s okay you get thick skin after a while and don’t care!
Lol.

I had intended to post it in the headgear section once I had the time.....

Jerry
Old 05-08-18, 07:56 AM

An officer would have little choice but to purchase his own berets and he would certainly have more than one, I would be happy with the beret shown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo View Post
Thank you for that Frank, do you think a staff officer would purchase his own beret without a real leather band?, and the back of the beret?. If I had gone on parade with a knot like that in the back of mine, my sergeant major would have kicked me into the middle of next week.:
Old 05-08-18, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
An officer would have little choice but to purchase his own berets and he would certainly have more than one, I would be happy with the beret shown.
In response to Rizzo's comment about officers chosing leather banded berets;

And at risk of repeating myself, during WWII and after, officers berets were ribbed silk, it was only in the 1970/80's that the unpopular other ranks beret with a ribbed cloth band was introduced, prior to that only officers berets had the ribbed banding.

Jerry
Old 05-08-18, 03:15 PM

Hello Jerry,
Sorry, I don't understand, are suggesting that no British Army officer in WW2 wore a beret with a leather head band?
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
In response to Rizzo's comment about officers chosing leather banded berets;

And at risk of repeating myself, during WWII and after, officers berets were ribbed silk, it was only in the 1970/80's that the unpopular other ranks beret with a ribbed cloth band was introduced, prior to that only officers berets had the ribbed banding.
Old 05-08-18, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Hello Jerry,
Sorry, I don't understand, are suggesting that no British Army officer in WW2 wore a beret with a leather head band?
Regards Frank
No Frank, that is not what I am saying, a number of officers seem to have used the leather trimmed other ranks issue beret including Urquhart (who wore a Kangol with the addition of a sweat diamond added to cover the makers marks) as did Browning and Gale among others.

All the examples of officers private purchase berets that I can find from WWII where this feature can be seen did have the ribbed silk edge band. All the examples of private purchase WWII berets shown in the Airborne headdress book by Fisher and Lock have this feature, with only those officers as mentioned above wearing the issue beret having leather edge bands.

Jerry
Old 05-08-18, 11:35 PM

I believe the grist is private purchase
Old 06-08-18, 09:44 AM

With Respect to all parties -IF Jerry says this item is genuine an right. it will be
Old 07-08-18, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMO View Post
With Respect to all parties -IF Jerry says this item is genuine an right. it will be
Thanks Michael.

Jerry
Old 07-08-18, 07:58 PM

[QUOTE=NEMO;450636]With Respect to all parties -IF Jerry says this item is genuine an right. it will be[/QUOTE
Good call Michael
Old 08-08-18, 03:17 PM

Looks good to me. I have Generals without Green backing on a commando beret IIRC, all dependant on what the officer wanted to do.