British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-06-08, 09:40 PM

Default Northamptonshire bad?

Here is a badge I have had for awhile and have been suspect about as well. I recall it had quite a bit of dried polish the crevices and I cleaned it with water and brush which took some of the toning away. It is does not bend and feels right, but any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
CB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 292.jpg (59.1 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 293.jpg (41.4 KB, 73 views)
Old 09-06-08, 03:00 PM

From the toning of the front of the badge I take it that's where the polish was and has now been shined up in the process of removing it?

The back looks OK age wise and the slider is fine, if you say the badge is hard as nails then I wouldn't doubt it. I also wouldn't worry about the lack of braze holes as N'hants badges with braze holes seem pretty scarse unless were talking about the circular ones but these have been restruck and I'm pretty dubious about badges with them generally.

Shame the front has shined up where its tone is no longer in keeping with its age or the back of the badge... hang it out under a window ledge for a month (depending air pollution) that usually restores patina to how it originally looked thanks to atomspheric pollution.

Luke
Old 09-06-08, 03:52 PM

Thanks again,
Well, this is good news. Due to the lack of sharpness in detail of the castle and no braze holes I had been suspicious. Yes, the cleaning off of old polish from the back and crevices shined it up quite a bit, but I few more years and it will probably be back to where it was.

CB