British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-06-20, 11:51 PM

Default 72nd Highlanders question

Does anyone know how and when the pictured badge was actually worn? I had assumed it is a pre-1881 headdress badge, but as it doesn't seem to appear in any of the usual references, I'm starting to think it was used in some other way. (It can't be a sporran badge, as the 72nd wore trews rather than the kilt.) Any information appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1402.jpg (77.4 KB, 31 views)
Old 11-06-20, 05:57 AM

Is it perhaps Canadian?
Old 11-06-20, 07:25 AM

It is not a 72nd Regiment / Seaforth Highlanders of Canada badge, any era.
Old 11-06-20, 12:09 PM

I seem to remember seeing at least one other example on a dealer's website listing it as a British 72nd Foot badge, but that was a while ago and I can't recall the details. The usual references (K&K, Bloomer, Carman's Glengarry Badges, etc) don't show it, however.
Old 11-06-20, 04:10 PM

The stags head element is often touted as a sporran badge. Churchill quotes this in his collar book. The Seaforth cap badge remained unchanged and in white metal for a considerable time but the sporran badge is seen in several guises, however, the scrolled version seems more prevalent in WW1 photographs. I think the numerals are spurious but I have no proof of this.

Bryan
Old 11-06-20, 09:34 PM

A picture of the reverse might be helpful.

CB
Old 12-06-20, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advsmt View Post
The stags head element is often touted as a sporran badge. Churchill quotes this in his collar book. The Seaforth cap badge remained unchanged and in white metal for a considerable time but the sporran badge is seen in several guises, however, the scrolled version seems more prevalent in WW1 photographs. I think the numerals are spurious but I have no proof of this.

Bryan
The pictured badge is GM, not WM. The 72nd did not wear sporrans.
Old 12-06-20, 10:32 AM

That is my point. The stagshead is not white metal, so is not a cap badge and as the 72nd did not wear kilts it is probably a post 1881 Seaforth Highlanders sporran badge. I don’t see the numerals going with the stagshead as “a set”.

Bryan
Old 12-06-20, 10:50 AM

I know I may be contradicting myself! But I do know that the 72nd did wear similar to your photo (c.1870). The numerals in-between the antlers. I believe that there were examples in the Snook and Taylor collections. Extremely rare and I have never seen a photograph in wear or from these collections. But I had conversations with Jeff McWilliam on the subject. It was thought that the numerals were collars. Churchill shows these as a linked single piece set, much as other regimental collars of that period.

I’ve probably added to the confusion.

Bryan
Old 13-06-20, 01:33 AM

Thanks for the additional info, Bryan. The pictured badge came from a friend, now deceased, who collected Scottish militaria. His specialty was the Seaforths and their antecedents (72nd and 78th), and he had some amazing items. He was also very knowledgeable, and could spot a dodgy piece. Unfortunately I never got to speak to him about this particular item, but the fact that he kept it in his collection is enough for me to regard it as a legitimate piece, whatever its period and function. So I very much appreciate your most recent post.