British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-10-18, 09:32 PM

Default WW2 Belgian Army in Exile (Free Belgium Forces) Badge?

I wonder if some of you professional badge collectors could shed any light on this badge please? I believe it is a WW2 Belgian Army in Exile (Free Belgium Forces) badge? But looking at it, it has different from others I have seen, in that it has flimsy pins on the back, and seems to have a silver wash?

So any thoughts on it? Any way of dating it, is it WW2? Is it actually a cap badge, or looking at the flimsy pins, is it perhaps a collar dog?

What I will say is it has an interesting history. I didn't buy it, didn't get the usual "my uncle wore it during WWII" routine. I actually found it under the driver's seat of an M4 Sherman tank which was being restored - in Cyprus!

Appreciate any thoughts anyone has please?

Many thanks...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181002_203111245.jpg (39.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181002_203058681.jpg (41.4 KB, 35 views)
Old 02-10-18, 10:12 PM

I have a badge minus the silver wash which had the same sort of fittings, now missing. I'd filed it as WWII era but I'm aware that various Belgian beret badges of other designs were still being produced with wire fittings in to at least the 1970's.
Where's that tank? Wife's in Cyprus at the moment, not that I can trust her to find me militaria, but it's worth a try to get her scavenging 'round a Sherman.
Old 02-10-18, 11:05 PM

Default Belgian badge

The M4 was squirreled away in a hangar on a British SBA. I heard about it and through various ‘friends of friends’ got access. I was originally told it was a Turkish tank from the 1974 invasion, but I think it must have been Cypriot...

I go to CY every year and have never found a single item of collectible militaria, so if your wife does, she deserves a medal... er...
Old 02-10-18, 11:19 PM

Last thing I found was years ago, a pair of allegedly WWI
WAAC overalls or car coat or something at a ludicrous price
It's guaranteed that my wife wouldn't "find" an item of militaria if it was handed to her - she has no desire to add anything to my collection of "junk".
Old 03-10-18, 05:00 AM

My wife says exactly the same! and get it out of the house - build a shed!!
Old 15-10-18, 01:04 PM

Because of the pins on the back I would say post war.
however the lower jaw is quite rectangular which is a feature that it has in common with WW2 British made examples. But these have the typical red copper lugs. A strange one this