British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-09-18, 09:00 AM

Default Welsh Guards officer KIA during WW 2

I am doing a research project on the World War One and Two men from Kingsclere village killed in action for our Royal British Legion branch and would like to ask if anybody could help with any details for

115739 2nd Lt Philip Rowland Sperling. Welsh Guards. KIA Monday 11th March 1940.

I would appreciate any info on where he was killed and what medals he may have been entitled to posthumously. Many thanks. Dudley
Old 30-09-18, 10:13 AM

His CWGC entry seems to imply he died at home? He was a local to where his memorial is, is he also buried there?

In March 1940 the phoney war was happening and in NW Europe where the 1st Bn. Welsh Guards were as part of the BEF no combat was taking place. He might have died abroad but it is not shown on his records.
Perhaps a search using his army number in the Gazette online might give you an answer.

The second page of the CWGC entry lists the following.

Second Lieutenant
SPERLING, PHILIP ROWLAND
Service Number 115739

Died 11/03/1940

Aged 29

Welsh Guards

Son of Sir Rowland Arthur Charles Sperling, K.C.M.G., C.B. and of Lady Sperling (nee Kingsmill), of Kingsclere. B.A. (Oxon.).

https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-d...2BGuards&war=2

Jerry
Old 30-09-18, 12:39 PM

Hello Jerry,
It certainly looks that way, I wonder if he had actually sailed out to Gibraltar on the 22nd of April 1939 and perhaps picked something unpleasant up, the battalion sailed for Marseilles on the 7th of November, not much going on until the spring really apart from the mundane garrison duties at Arras.
Regards Frank
Old 30-09-18, 04:48 PM

Died in aircraft crash.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=195609
Quote:
In the evening of 11 March, 1940, 26-years old Flg Off Anthony Henry Hamilton Tollemach of 600 Sqn RAF took off for a searchlight co-operation exercise with the Blenheim IF L6682. Aboard were Second Lt Philip Rowland Sperling, Welsh Guards, as observer, and LAC Smith, wireless operator/air gunner. When approaching the flare-path to land at Manston airfield, at 2320 hours, after completing the exercise, the aircraft struck a tree and crashed into a field, where it immediately burst into flames.

Tollemache was thrown clear of the wreckage, and Smith was able to escape. Realising, however, that his passenger was still in the aircraft Tollemache, with complete disregard of the intense conflagration or the explosion of small arms ammunition, endeavoured to break through the forward hatch and effect a rescue. He persisted in this gallant attempt until driven off with his clothes blazing. His efforts, though in vain, resulted in injuries which nearly cost him his life. Had he not attempted the rescue it is considered he would have escaped almost unscathed. Sperling died in the blaze and is buried in Kingsclere Church Cemetery.
Old 30-09-18, 06:29 PM

Very interesting, I wonder why he had been detached from his battalion.
Old 01-10-18, 09:39 AM

Greetings Gentlemen

Many thanks for the information. It is most valuable for me and allows me to complete a written tribute to him for our RBL branch. We lay a wreath for each of our village men and read out a summary of their service on a monthly basis at the appropriate time.

Regards

Dudley
Old 01-10-18, 12:53 PM

Taking into account all the aforementioned information.His full medal entitlement (sad as it may seem) would the the 1939-45 War Medal

PL
Old 11-10-18, 10:05 AM

Location: I live in New Brighton on the Wirral, in the north West of England.

Thanks to all concerned. I found this story very interesting as a former welsh Guardsman. I have added his details to our on line roll of honour. Thanks again.