British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-11-16, 03:55 PM

Default PHANTOM SIGNALS, PRINCESS LOUISE’S OR JUST RUBISH?

I picked this badge up over 40 years ago – before I even knew what ‘serif’ was let alone that all the wartime Phantom ‘P’ badges were apparently in serif lettering. Reading through the forum threads on the subject, opinions are fairly emphatic on this and while the threads indicate that 41st Princess Louise’s Kensington Signal Squadron (V) continued to wear the ‘P’ patch until their disbandment in 1967 I didn’t notice any uploads that stated if the ‘P’ patch they wore was a serif or block letter. (One upload did state that most of the badges worn post-WW2 were of wartime manufacture but not the type of lettering.)

In the intervening years since I got the badge I have never seen another one like it. If this is not a wartime Phantom badge, is it a genuine post war patch for Princess Louise’s Signals (or some other unit) or just another one for the ‘dubious’ box.

Thanking you in anticipation for any feedback.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phantom Sigs Patch Front.jpg (25.5 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Phantom Sigs Patch Rear.jpg (36.5 KB, 71 views)
Old 13-11-16, 06:12 PM

These two photos show that the one worn postwar by the Kensingtons as Phantom had serifs. Which does not necessarily rule out a non-serif version...

Never say never where cloth badges are concerned.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fig.5c.jpg (74.5 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Kensigntons as Phantom 2 ebay Mar 2009 170 pounds.jpg (83.8 KB, 71 views)
Old 13-11-16, 06:55 PM

I have one, from a veteran. Definitely Post War.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 142.jpg (31.2 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 144.jpg (38.6 KB, 69 views)
Old 14-11-16, 11:01 AM

Harry,

I've owned a dozen wartime Phantom badges over the years (4 from veterans) and they were all made exactly the same way. Your example is different.

For those who might be interested I have attached pics showing a 1953 dated BD supposedly worn by a Lt Pudwell of the Army Phantom Signal Regiment (Princess Louise's Kensington Regiment).

Regards,

Des
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phantom1.jpg (98.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg phantom2.jpg (118.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg phantom3.jpg (120.5 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg phantom4.jpg (104.7 KB, 34 views)

Des

Last edited by DJT; 14-11-16 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 14-11-16, 11:13 AM

So the post WW2 badge is Yellow on Green.

Marc
Old 14-11-16, 12:06 PM

Hi Marc,

Afraid I can't offer an explanation for the odd colouring of the badge in the BD pictured.

Des
Old 14-11-16, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJT View Post
Hi Marc,

Afraid I can't offer an explanation for the odd colouring of the badge in the BD pictured.
Do you mean it is not Yellow on Green with green stitching?

Marc
Old 14-11-16, 04:44 PM

I remember a TA Royal Signals unit in the 1960's who met in an abandoned London undergrround startion, close to Knightsbridge, London. Can't remember exactly but I think it might have been Brompton Road. They were known as 'Phantom Signallers' . Can anybody tell me please of any connection they might have had with the old Kensington Regiment. I know this is a long shot, but thanks anyway.

John G
Old 14-11-16, 06:04 PM

Marc,

I posted the BD as I thought it might be of interest. If you have a point can you make it please? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
Do you mean it is not Yellow on Green with green stitching?

Marc

Des
Old 14-11-16, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Marc,

I posted the BD as I thought it might be of interest. If you have a point can you make it please? Thanks

On my screen the "P" badge is yellow on a green backing stitched on with green thread.

All the others posted are white on black.

Marc
Old 14-11-16, 09:52 PM

There is quite a contrast between the white on blue ROYAL SIGNALS designations and Yellow on Green 'Phantom' sign. I wonder if the Yellow on Green is a throw back to Reconnaissance?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GHQ_Liaison_Regiment

Mike
Old 14-11-16, 09:56 PM

John G - Please see the link in the above posting - At a very quick glance GHQ Phantom appears to have been based in Richmond Park - 6 miles or so from Knightsbridge - is this close enough for a link?
Mike
Old 25-09-18, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Hi Marc,

On Facebook someone posted a Kensington Regiment SD Jacket and the badge were that green colour. I assume that Phantom adopted that background following the war. Like the Artists Rifles, which was reformed as 21 SAS; Kensingtons were reformed as a Phantom unit. Also remember the RAF were the first to wear the P badge and then it had a blue tinge like other RAF badges. Never seen one but they were said to have been worn by a couple from the Hopkinson Mission.

Last edited by asherp; 25-09-18 at 05:25 PM.
Old 25-09-18, 09:45 AM

A former regular Army officer (who should have known better) spent a sedentary war as an elderly cavalry officer and degenerated into a senior "Walt". He dined out on the story that in the first half of the War he was a member of "Phantom Force", a unit so secret that only two people - Churchill and FM Alanbrooke- knew of its existence. In the early 50s he became the High Sheriff of an English county and took to wearing Army officers' style service dress on official occasions. On both arms he wore the badge of "Phantom Force" - a pale blue P on a dark blue shield. This sign may well be in someone's collection. I saw the tunic 20 years ago and have researched the man.
Old 25-09-18, 05:22 PM

Default Derick Hignett

Hignett did command GHQ Liaison Regiment between Hopkinson and McIntosh. Sadly, when he died his Times obituary was poorly researched. He is also in the Phantom officers' address book. The issue is that he did not take part in Commando raids as mentioned in obituary. He was, however, present during on one of the warships during the Dieppe raid. I have copies of these official documents. I have yet to apply for his service records but it seems he might have been replaced for certain reasons. Asher