British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-06-14, 07:21 PM

Default Field Service Cap colour guide

Does such a thing as a guide to British Army Field Service Caps exist? I have found precious little on the internet apart from a guide to Canadian FSCs.

I have found a photograph of a similar cap to mine but the owner was trying and failing to identify it.

It has a white crown with yellow piping which is not particularly visible in my photograph. I would like to rebadge it as a badge has clearly been removed and judging from the discolouration the badge was probably circular with a crown above.

The cap is also unusual in that it has a pair of tails sewn on. Any thoughts please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FSC 001.jpg (59.8 KB, 63 views)
Old 22-06-14, 07:38 PM

Hello High Wood

You might like to check out the MHS website, http://www.themilitaryhistoricalsociety.co.uk, as one of their Special Publications is on "Coloured Field Service Caps, Infantry", cost £2.00 + postage. It is still available I believe.

I don't have a copy myself, so I can't say how good it is, perhaps another member can comment on this aspect.

If I remember correctly, there was also a wartime publication that dealt with Field Service Caps and cap badges with coloured line drawings. I had a copy once but without the title page, so no help as to the actual title, sorry!

Regards
Roger
Old 22-06-14, 07:47 PM

I only have a photocopy of Regimental Badges and Service Caps, but I do have actual copies of the MHS Special Number "Coloured Field Service Caps- Infantry " and "British Military Hats" by Margaret Nobbs, all worth having if your interest extends to this subject.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2942.jpg (62.1 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2943.jpg (53.0 KB, 91 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 22-06-14, 07:53 PM

I have the book in question, however, its in storage. I would help otherwise
Old 22-06-14, 07:58 PM

I will look later to see if I can find the regiment but the tails are not some thing I recall seeing on coloured field service caps.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 22-06-14, 08:04 PM

Regimental Service caps and Badges by George Philip & sons is available in e-form as a free download. I can't recall what database it is on. If you cannot find it after searching IM me your contact details and I will send you a copy (it is too large a file to post here).

John
Old 22-06-14, 08:34 PM

Thank you; I have ordered a copy of the MHS booklet.
Old 22-06-14, 08:36 PM

It is not shown in my copy of Regimental Badges and Service Caps.

Jerry
Old 22-06-14, 08:54 PM

Very strange. It has general service buttons but there are no markings including date inside. As I said in an earlier post, it was once badged.
Old 22-06-14, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
Very strange. It has general service buttons but there are no markings including date inside. As I said in an earlier post, it was once badged.
BL Davies has a verbal description of coloured FS caps in his book on WWII British army uniforms & insignia, it might be listed in there. It is odd to see this type of cap with tails on it. some of the overseas UK territories/commonwealth countries wore them and it might be for one of them, but the tails suggest a Scottish connection, such as one of the Canadian Scottish regiments.

Jerry
Old 22-06-14, 09:18 PM

The tails look very much to have been a later addition to the cap rather than part of the original construction. They consist of two 5 inch lengths of 3/4 inch wide black cotton tape that have been machine sewn to the back of the cap.
Old 23-06-14, 04:08 AM

Default Colured FS cap

I have feeling this may be an early wartime REME cap. The only difference from the current issue being the red peak (currently blue) and the yellow crown (currently blue).

My information is that the early versions were based on the colours of the various composite Corps that contributed to the formation of REME in November 1942.

The original crown was RASC yellow; curtain of Ordnance blue; body & peak of RE red. Gold piping was applied for officers only.

At this time I cannot tell you when the design changed.

This information doesn't appear in Brian Davis' book, nor Regimental Badges & Service Caps (printed pre-1942). The MHS Special Number only relates to Infantry.

I hope this helps.
Stephen.
Old 23-06-14, 09:01 AM

Stephen,

thank you for your interesting thoughts. I think however that the crown is white rather than yellow. I have attached a few more pictures. The best clue to the former badge is the mark left by its removal. It would appear to have been about the same size as a RA/RE Ubique collar badge. Circular with perhaps a crown above.

Simon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reme 001.jpg (94.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg reme 002.jpg (72.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg reme 003.jpg (80.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg reme 004.jpg (87.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 23-06-14, 09:25 AM

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/cloth-...-please-41411/

Someone asked a similar question on another forum a while back. The answer was inconclusive and it was thought that it might not be British.

My cap came from a Surrey house clearance along with a number of badges and medals that the dealer had set aside for me. There were two New Zealand badges in the lot but as he only calls me every few months I don't think that they are necessarily related. Besides which the holes in the cap do not match the position of the badge fixings; but there still could be a NZ connection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dasf 003.jpg (69.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg dasf 004.jpg (78.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 23-06-14, 03:34 PM

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...p?albumid=2360

Andy

Last edited by magpie; 24-05-15 at 06:01 AM.