British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-12-10, 05:48 PM

Splendid posts and many really wonderful insights into this enigma of a hobby. Definately a difference between dealers and sellers. Some of both categories are very, very honest and some are very, very (place your own description here)
I am 71 years old and can remember "once upon a time" when honesty was the policy. Unfortunately, those days are gone in pursuit of the almighty $, be in dollars or pound sterling. This is truly an unfortunate occurance, because it makes what was once a pleasure, now a minefield, and the nasties who plant the mines are not the least regretful about it.
I recall the early seventies, prior to the restrike/fake/fantasy age, when one could buy a genuine badge and not be concerned about it's provenence. Alas, the crooks amoung us have ruined that, in pursuit of monetary rewards. They are nothing less than thieves and more's the pity that they cannot be punished for it.
I truly feel sorry for the youngster who decides to pursue this hobby. It has become frought with people who will solemly swear lies (much like todays politicians.)
Rant ended,
Dr B
Old 12-12-10, 12:52 AM

HI GUYS IF ONLY !!!
I am a dealer and have read this thread a few times over the last few days I my self only have 2 rules when it comes to items being returned to me they must be in the same condition as sent to you and You must be happy with the item or return it to me ( You guys are my bread and butter so I will not argue with you and tend to take your word for it and learn by my mistakes ) I try not to make mistakes but this alass may happen due to the nature of this hobby now and I cant know everything .
I do sell to some of this countrys top dealers ie Geoff Newman , Rod Flood , bosleys etc etc on a very frequent basis and an army of collectors I am not perfect in every way but am learning through time and paintance from the guys at what I would say are the OLD SCHOOL and put the custermers 1st this alass is how it should be the custermer is right and if they are not happy just refund them ( normally the post as well 1 way ) or replace the item with somthing from stock if they prefer it !!!
I do not mind being corrected I learn this way and think forums are very usfull way to learn from you guys who collect and have learned through the years and alass mistakes , ones knolage should be shared freely with no prejudice towards any person .
all ways happy to refund steve
Old 12-12-10, 02:17 AM

ASR142...Hoe sweet it is to read the voice of reason! Pity all of the dealers/sellers are not as straightforward as you. There are far too many that hide behind the cloak of rightous indignation when questioned.
Thanks again and good luck with your dealership!
Dr B
Old 12-12-10, 08:53 AM
Mr. Jackanory

I have opened a linked/associated thread under the title 'X' Factor
Old 14-12-10, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Hi grumpy,

I have no intension of opening old wounds but I can say that in the case of the forum, to name and shame would only go against the forum rules, which we have all agreed to abide by, in as much as personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Dave.
"personal attack" is a bit strong: a wrong description is a wrong description, and to ignore a polite suggestion twice is tantamount to constructive negligence. But I shall certainly not bother any more.
Old 14-12-10, 06:02 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi grumpy,

I didn't say that you were making a personal attack, I was referring to when we had the bust up and I got personal, that helped towards me being banned.

As far as complaining when you see something wrong is concerned, that's your choice not to bother any more but all you are doing is joining the ranks of those who would rather bury their heads in the sand than stand up and say what needs to be said, as I say, your choice...

Dave.
Old 14-12-10, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Back to the original post, if his aim was about 3rd Reich forums then it merely reinforces my view about a significant proportion of such collectors and dealers. I know a couple of collectors who also collect WW2 German badges but for every decent one I have met 10 ones I want nothing to do with. Political views aside, the levels of fakery, fraud and downright deceit involved in 3rd Reich collecting makes me shiver. In light of such a situation I am more amenable to his views if they apply to 3rd Reich forums and collecting community.

Alan

saying all of that his UK badges are still grossly overpriced!
Old 14-12-10, 09:23 PM

Hello all,i bought a badge through ebay from this buyer and it was ok.Such a rare occurance cannot be said of all ebay sellers.Rob

Tags
dealers, forums