British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-11-10, 05:53 PM
Badge Guru

Default The Wakefield Medal Question

I picked up a medal a while ago which came out of a box of badges I was shown.

I believe it to be one of those tribute medals which most towns and cities gave returned soldiers at the end of WW1.

What I need to know is if such a medal was manufactured and issued in 1919 in hallmarked silver and presented by then Colonel and MP of Wakefield E. A. Brotherton.

Does anyone on the forum know anyone from Wakefield that might be able to identify such a medal?

I apologise for such a specific question, its going to tale a true master of Yorkshire militaria to ID this one thats for sure!

Thank you chaps.
Old 19-11-10, 08:50 PM

Can you post images of the medal at all? E A Brotherton seems to be a very distinguished character, i have attached an extract below

Edward Allen Brotherton, 1st and last Baron Brotherton
, b. 1 April 1856, d. 21 October 1930

Edward Allen Brotherton, 1st and last Baron Brotherton was born on 1 April 1856 at Ardwick Green, England. He was the son of Theophilus Brotherton. He died on 21 October 1930 at age 74 at Kirkham Abbey, Malton, Yorkshire, England, unmarried. He was buried on 24 October 1930 at Lawnswood Cemetery, Leeds, Yorkshire, West Riding, England.
Edward Allen Brotherton, 1st and last Baron Brotherton was educated at Owens College, Manchester, Lancashire, England. He was a chemical manufacturer, including making high explosives during the First World War. He held the office of Mayor of Wakefield between 1902 and 1903. He held the office of Member of Parliament (M.P.) (Conservative) for Wakefield between 1902 and 1910. He held the office of Lord Mayor of Leeds between 1913 and 1914. In 1914 he raised the West Yorkshire Regiment at his own expense. He gained the rank of Honorary Colonel in the service of the 15th Service Battalion. He held the office of Member of Parliament (M.P.) (Conservative) for Wakefield between 1918 and 1922. He was created 1st Baronet Brotherton, of Wakefield, co. York [U.K.] on 27 June 1918. He was invested as a Fellow, Society of Antiquaries (F.S.A.). He was awarded the honorary degree of Doctor of Law (LL.D.) by Leeds University, Leeds, Yorkshire, West Riding, England. He was created 1st Baron Brotherton, of Wakefield, co. York [U.K.] on 17 June 1929.
On his death, his titles became extinct.

Not sure about raising the `West Yorkshire Regiment at his own expense`, probably means the 15th battalion. Edward Brotherton was a great driving force in Leeds and at the outset of the war. The Leeds pals (15th bn) "was raised and equipped in september 1914 by the generosity of the Lord Mayor of Leeds", estimated to be around £6000 in 1914 prices so a small fortune in todays money. The lord mayor at the time was Brotherton. All the officers commissioned in 1914 were issued with an un-marked silver Leeds pals badge, a total of 22 were issued. If you have a look in my West Yorks album you will see one of these. In 1919 Colonel Sir Edward Brotherton gave a dinner at Leeds town hall for surviving members of the 15th bn. With Brothertons connection with the Leeds pals it is a strong possibility that a commemorative medal was made for the survivors and presented during this dinner? Much of the above is extracted from Laurie Millers book on the Leeds pals. If you have the medal to hand and it has the Leeds budgies on it, look closely at them. The Budgies on the Leeds pals badge is very different in places from the standard budgies on the Leeds coat of arms. A picture would help greatly. Hope this is of some interest, cheers, Dave
Old 19-11-10, 10:58 PM
Badge Guru

Wow 40 views on this thread already! Thank you for the reply Deejayvu, that information is very interesting thank you for posting......by the way, I dont really know what I have here. I'm just making lots of assumptions! The facts are that the hallmark is 1919 and the shield on the reverse is the old coat of arms of Wakefield.

Does this look right for the sort of thing given as a tribute medal? It should be very common in Wakefield as there must of been thousands of servicemen and women from there awarded this medal?

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 14-04-16 at 12:46 PM.
Old 19-11-10, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba View Post
Wow 40 views on this thread already! Thank you for the reply Deejayvu, that information is very interesting thank you for posting......by the way, I dont really know what I have here. I'm just making lots of assumptions! The facts are that the hallmark is 1919 and the shield on the reverse is the old coat of arms of Wakefield.

Does this look right for the sort of thing given as a tribute medal? It should be very common in Wakefield as there must of been thousands of servicemen and women from there awarded this medal?
This could well be a tribute medal but i do not think it is connected to the Leeds pals, it would have had a version of the Leeds coat of arms on it. Looking at the medal there is no real statement that the badge is military.
Cheers, Dave
Old 20-11-10, 09:34 AM
Badge Guru

Thank you for the reply Dave. The only reason why I purchased it was because of the 1919 date, being that there is a chance it might be some how war related. It is very odd to go all the trouble of putting an inscription on the medal, having it enameled and then hallmarked.........then forgeting to mention what the medal is for

Thus far I've spent hours searching the Internet try to establish if there was a Wakefield tribute medal, no luck so far
Old 20-11-10, 05:08 PM

Jibba

Edward Brotherton did have a medal designed and presented it, together with a small cash payment, to ex POW's. Must be it I reckon, although never seen one before.

I am not sure how this fits in with Wakefield specifically, and not sure if he did this for Leeds. Edward was certainly big news in Wakefield at the time, and Brothertons, even so to this day. Have a look at the Brotherton Esseco site

Cheers

Neil
Old 20-11-10, 09:23 PM
Badge Guru

Thats a great bit of info Neil thank you. I'll email Brotherton Esseco and ask them if they have a photograph of the medal.

Maybe the reason why the medal appears to be so Wakefield exclusive is because the medal was only presented to POW's from Wakefield?

Thank you again, I will let you know.
Old 20-11-10, 10:00 PM
Badge Guru

Well done Neil.....

http://www.wakefield.gov.uk/CultureA...ult.htm?page=2

.....you really know your stuff!
Old 21-11-10, 12:56 AM

Great find and great googling no doubt!

It will be interesting to see how many of these were given out, if indeed Esseco have the records still.

Is this yet another exclusive Pals item I wonder? I can't help being reminded of the 31st Division "Honour Badge" that has been discussed here before.

Leeds University have a Brotherton Library, although I have never been. I wonder if it might be worth trying there? I also recall that "The Brotherton Family Papers" exist somewhere. Not sure if they are at the West Yorkshire Archives. There is also Thoresby Library, which is private I think.

All this comes about as I have been looking for information on a specific point of interest on the Leeds Pals. Still unanswered, but I will get there...

I suspect the man who will know more about these is Peter616.

Cheers, Neil
Old 16-03-20, 10:30 AM

I have my Granddads Brotherton MedalMedal1.jpg

Medal2.jpg

Medal3.jpg

KingsLetter.jpg
Old 16-03-20, 03:16 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Like that very much indeed!