British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-10-18, 09:36 AM
BWEF's Avatar
BWEF BWEF is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,550
Default Italy 1944 Panzersturmgesch.,Abt.115

Can anybody tell me about the WW2 German unit Panzersturmgesch.,Abt.115? Even if just what this stands for?

A soldier serving in this unit sent some postcards home from Italy. From the location of the town depicted in the postcards this unit would probably have fought at Cassino and/or Anzio.
__________________
Orationem pulchram non habens, scribo ista linea in lingua Latina
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-10-18, 09:59 AM
Cribyn's Avatar
Cribyn Cribyn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Carmarthenshire, Wales
Posts: 1,695
Default

Hello

The reference is to a German Assault Gun unit (Sturmgeschutz = Assault Gun), Battalion 115 (Abt = Abteilung or Battalion or Detachment depending on the context). Often abbreviated to Stug III (or Stug IV) when referring to the vehicles themselves.

Abt 115 were in Italy at some point during World War Two but I don't know the exact details.

Roger
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-10-18, 10:34 AM
BWEF's Avatar
BWEF BWEF is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,550
Default

Many thanks for that Roger.

I can now say that they fought in the Liri Valley for sure and were in the province of Frosinone when the cards were sent. This is the bit next to Rome, so they were easily close enough to have been at Anzio too:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Foto-WK-2...91ec%7Ciid%3A1
__________________
Orationem pulchram non habens, scribo ista linea in lingua Latina

Last edited by BWEF; 09-10-18 at 10:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-10-18, 10:49 AM
leigh kitchen's Avatar
leigh kitchen leigh kitchen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,287
Default

The Wehrmacht lexicon site may be of assistance,
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de

It has an entry for the unit but mistakenly translates "abtelung" as "division".
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...erAbt115-R.htm
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-10-18, 05:20 PM
BWEF's Avatar
BWEF BWEF is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
The Wehrmacht lexicon site may be of assistance,
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de

It has an entry for the unit but mistakenly translates "abtelung" as "division".
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...erAbt115-R.htm
Many thanks for that link.

If only I could read German I could spend many hours browsing that Lexicon.
__________________
Orationem pulchram non habens, scribo ista linea in lingua Latina
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-10-18, 05:29 PM
leigh kitchen's Avatar
leigh kitchen leigh kitchen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,287
Default

Should have a translator on it? I think it gives the choice of German or English on the home page.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-10-18, 01:42 PM
BWEF's Avatar
BWEF BWEF is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Should have a translator on it? I think it gives the choice of German or English on the home page.
Thanks for that.

I missed the translator before, and just had another quick look with no luck.

Still, now that I know it is there somewhere I will find it eventually.
__________________
Orationem pulchram non habens, scribo ista linea in lingua Latina
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-10-18, 07:45 PM
RSM RSM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post
Thanks for that.

I missed the translator before, and just had another quick look with no luck.

Still, now that I know it is there somewhere I will find it eventually.
I might be wrong but the translator is only on the forum pages. The lexicon pages of the site remain in German. What exactly was the info you were after other than the designation of PanzersturmAbt?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-10-18, 08:43 PM
BWEF's Avatar
BWEF BWEF is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,550
Default

Thanks for your reply, and offer.

What I would really like is just a list of where this unit served. In particular, does it say where in the Liri Valley they were, and also if they were at Anzio?

There are photos of them visiting the usual places in Rome and also of them being at Berlin and at Warsaw for sale.

I am hoping over the weekend to find the time to look at all the cards of this unit that the vendor is selling.
__________________
Orationem pulchram non habens, scribo ista linea in lingua Latina
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-10-18, 11:03 PM
RSM RSM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post
Thanks for your reply, and offer.

What I would really like is just a list of where this unit served. In particular, does it say where in the Liri Valley they were, and also if they were at Anzio?

There are photos of them visiting the usual places in Rome and also of them being at Berlin and at Warsaw for sale.

I am hoping over the weekend to find the time to look at all the cards of this unit that the vendor is selling.
Having read through the link I cannot see any detail other than that this Abteilung served in Italy and was then transferred up to Western Europe to participate in the Ardennes offensive of winter 1944. I have not ever come across a detailed unit history for this unit, not saying one doesn't exist, just I haven't seen one. With regards to the vendor, I have bought photos etc from him in the past, but I must say these all seem very expensive considering the lack of armour in each picture he is selling. For 34Euros I would expect at least a glimpse of a StuG or a Pzr IV.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 13-10-18, 05:10 AM
leigh kitchen's Avatar
leigh kitchen leigh kitchen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,287
Default

The translator is confusing me, I'm also getting confused between the various "Abtelung 115" designations, panzer, recce etc.
There is a Facebook page for a group of re-enactors "Panzer Abteilung 115 / 3 Kompanie" which includes photos of Stug III's:

https://m.facebook.com/pages/categor...1284871820005/

A couple of WAF threads:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=891022

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...&highlight=115

And another thread........

https://miles.forumcommunity.net/m/?t=59004017


I still have a collection of WWII wehrpas and soldbuch although I haven't added to it for years and a few of the Stackpoles Military History series books on Orbats.
From "Stackpoles" German Order of Battle Volume 3, by Samuel W Mitchum Jr:

15th Panzer Grenadier Division.

Home Station Landau, Wehrkreis XIII.
Formed in Sicily as Command Colonel Baade in May 1943 from the remnants of the 15th Panzer Division which escaped destruction in Tunisia and other units from the Russian Front.
Division renamed Division Sizilian on 14 May 1943" designated 15th Panzer Grenadier on 1 July.
Although not completely trained or equipped fought in Sicily with considerable skill. Highly praised by commander of XIV Panzer Corps for conduct at Salerno in September 1943.
October 1943 - March 1944 fought in Casino area before placed in reserve.
Took part in retreat from Rome and withdrawal from Gothic Line.
Sent to southern France in September 1944, split up and scattered in 1st Army's makeshift effort to slow Allied advance.
Pulled out of line October 1944 after more than a year of more or less continuous action and rebuilt under direction of XXXXVII Panzer Corps.
By 1st November 1944 had strength of 13000 men and only 7 tanks although it had absorbed the remnants of 113 Panzer Brigade.
Had about 30 assault guns.
November 1944 fought in the Battle of the Peel Marshes and in Siegfried Line battles around Aachen and Geilenkirchen.
In December 1944 took part in the Siege of Bastogne.
After that defeat retreated to Kleve area and was involved in Battle of Mass Line in the Netherlands in February 1945.
Unable to stop British-Canadian break through, survivors retreated across the lower Rhine, the EMS and the Wiser and were retreating across north-northeast Germany when the war ended.
Surrendered to British near Lamstedt on 5th May 1945.

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 13-10-18 at 06:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 13-10-18, 07:08 AM
leigh kitchen's Avatar
leigh kitchen leigh kitchen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSM View Post
Having read through the link I cannot see any detail other than that this Abteilung served in Italy and was then transferred up to Western Europe to participate in the Ardennes offensive of winter 1944. I have not ever come across a detailed unit history for this unit, not saying one doesn't exist, just I haven't seen one. With regards to the vendor, I have bought photos etc from him in the past, but I must say these all seem very expensive considering the lack of armour in each picture he is selling. For 34Euros I would expect at least a glimpse of a StuG or a Pzr IV.
Presumably the vendor split up a collection of photos to the unit, sold those showing tanks and stugs and other exciting stuff for loadsamoney and is selling the unexciting anonymous hazy distant figures in a landscape could be anyone anywhere leftovers for more than you'd expect on the coat tails of the sexy stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 13-10-18, 04:28 PM
Frank Kelley's Avatar
Frank Kelley Frank Kelley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,984
Default

!


Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Presumably the vendor split up a collection of photos to the unit, sold those showing tanks and stugs and other exciting stuff for loadsamoney and is selling the unexciting anonymous hazy distant figures in a landscape could be anyone anywhere leftovers for more than you'd expect on the coat tails of the sexy stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loadsamoneyxxx_3561517c.jpg (44.9 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 13-10-18, 04:59 PM
leigh kitchen's Avatar
leigh kitchen leigh kitchen is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,287
Default

Like button.
Harry also does another appropriate character as the "Saw you coming" antique dealer.

https://youtu.be/uVvcD4Czx4Y

https://youtu.be/1i4rgxOi73c

Last edited by leigh kitchen; Today at 09:01 AM. Reason: Link added.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Today, 07:34 AM
Frank Kelley's Avatar
Frank Kelley Frank Kelley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,984
Default

Sorry, could not resist after the use of "loadsamoney" phrase.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:01 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.