British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-10-18, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
If you g....e Queens Own Highlanders pipe major ,theres an item regarding the death of Alisdair Gillies who was the last QoHldrs PM and the first Highlanders PM. The image shows him clearly wearing the silver coloured pipers badge.
Thanks Mike.

I've surfaced pictures of Jock Allan in the 60s from when he became P/M of the 1st Bn. Queen's Own Highlanders after transferring from the 1st Bn. Scots Guards. In these photos, he is wearing the 'normal' QOH regimental cap badge when in full uniform.

Also seen pictures of Nicky Gordon wearing the normal badge in the early 1980s as well as photos of Alistair Gillies wearing the normal QOH regimental badgeon some occasions......and that specific QOH pipers badge in others.

Photos also exist of P/M Iain Morrison in uniform wearing the normal regimental cap badge.

So I'm still rather confused as to the circumstances/dates surrounding the wearing of that specific pipers' badge and when the pipers instead wore the normal regimental badge.

I've looked at the photos in both the Caber Feidh Collection and the Standard Settings of Bagpipe Music of the QOH, but they don't assist other than confirming what I've written above.....e.g. photos of Nicky Gordon wearing the normal regimental badge.

(note : I am not referring to the 1958 'Highland Brigade' badge).
Old 03-10-18, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bess55 View Post
Thanks mate, had a feeling I was sort of in the right area! Any ideas about the gilt anodised QOH pipers? very unusual.
Factory mistake?

Regards,

Chris