British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-08-17, 10:25 PM

Default Unknown RKVF Button

Hi there,

Hoping somebody might have an idea on what this button is and which unit it belongs to.

It is a flat Gilt button with the raised design of a Georgian Crown above the stylised script letters "RKVF". (Royal K?????? Volunteer Fencibles????? - this is just guesswork on my part - could be anything)

The edge of the button has what looks like a serrated finish - but it is in fact a lot of very small indentations.

Diameter = 23.3mm
Backmark = (none - apart from 'mould-line' running across the back)

I can't help but feel that the button is not as old as it is pretending to be - but that may just be the pessimist in me, not wanting to get too excited.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RKVF Unknown.jpg (46.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg RKVF Unknown BK.jpg (45.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-08-17, 08:24 AM

Hello Ian

A very interesting button and in excellent condition. It certainly looks to be an early Georgian button.

I expect we have used the same references but I have not been able to identify it, sorry.

I would think your 'Royal K ......Volunteer Fencibles' is along the right lines but as always finding the right 'K' is going to be a problem - Kent, Kesteven, Kilkenny....? The list could be considerable.

Roger
Old 06-08-17, 11:11 AM

Hello Roger,

Glad in a way you couldn't identify it as I had a feeling I was missing the bloomin' obvious with this button. But on the other hand it is always good to get a positive ID.

As you say, there a lot of possibles for the "K" part of the title.

I will put it back in the box and hope in the future to see another one that has been properly Id'ed.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers

Ian

Tags
rkvf