British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-12-16, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger123 View Post
Whether they were plated during WW1 or after is something we will never know
Yes we do know, chromium plating started only in the late 20's or early 30's. The first experiments took place in the mid 20's.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 26-12-16, 08:16 PM

I thought chroming had been invented in the 1850's but not patented until the 1920's?

Regardless, the chrome plating is a diversion as its reason will unlikely be unknown (for all I know, it might have been done last year), its the Montreal tablets that are the real puzzle.

Ivan
Old 02-04-17, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

I have only just seen this thread. We had a very lengthy discussion about J.R. Gaunt in Montreal a couple of years ago. Interesting information came out about the firm in Canada, but there was no iron clad conclusion as to the manufacture of badges in the Canadian location.
Iirc, there was some issue about manufacturing and duties which required the addition of the plate for badges in Canada. (There are plates that say J.R.Gaunt Montreal Made in England, as noted.) The use of the plate on the Sheffield VDC raises some interesting questions about the plates. There was no equivalent organization in Canada, making the badge plate an error? But one which would have been done by Gaunt whilst the badges were being made in the UK.
Old 02-04-17, 06:18 PM

Bill,

Do you have any thoughts on the misspelling of the word Montreal on the Gaunt plaques (as in post #4)?

Regards, Ivan
Old 03-04-17, 04:04 AM

Default Sheffield

One other option not yet discussed: they might be reproductions as so many VTC badges appear to be.

Stephen.
Old 03-04-17, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

My expertise is not in British badges (and at times I am not even sure about Canadian insignia...). The plate in question has not been noted or discussed previous to the Sheffield badge, and now this one. Erring on the side of caution, I would treat the plates as suspect.
Old 03-04-17, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
One other option not yet discussed: they might be reproductions as so many VTC badges appear to be.

Stephen.
Its a perfectly good badge and similar to one of several in my collection. I've yet to see a dodgy SVDC badge. I'm sure if they had been copied, we would see them in larger numbers but as it stands, its not a common badge.
Old 03-04-17, 12:19 PM
Banned

I personally don't think these have yet been copied, badges to this unit are scarce and I have only had a couple over the years so Ivan has amassed quite a collection.

FMT600
Old 03-04-17, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

I have checked with a couple of other Canadian collectors and none of them have ever seen that mis-spelled Gaunt plaque on a badge.
Old 04-04-17, 01:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
I have checked with a couple of other Canadian collectors and none of them have ever seen that mis-spelled Gaunt plaque on a badge.
Nether have I, however the Sheffield badges I have had with no plaque seem to be from the same die as the one Ivan has shown with the mis-spelled Gaunt plaque.

FMT600
Old 04-04-17, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
They are definitely around but I suspect that people don't readily see the misspelling, see this thread (look carefully at the spelling on the plaque on the picture in post #1)

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...Gaunt+Montreal

and this one

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...light=Montreal

Perhaps members could look carefully at their JR Gaunt Montreal marked badges and give us some feedback on the spellings?

Ivan
Old 04-04-17, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Ivan. Note that the badges linked, the GG could also be a CGG badge, but all the other badges linked / imaged are strictly British. No connection to Canada.
Old 04-04-17, 05:04 PM

That's interesting Bill but never the less proof that in addition to the SVDC badges, misspelt Montreal plaques exist on other badges as well.

When I originally asked my question about the misspelt makers mark, there was discussion about whether these particular badges (being that they were to a very local and small Yorkshire unit) had actually been made in Canada and shipped to the UK or whether they were made in the UK but had Gaunt Montreal plaques stuck on them.

Perhaps members would be able to post pictures of their Montreal marked badges to see if a pattern emerges?

Ivan
Old 11-04-17, 06:37 PM

The badge on the left looks to have an f too?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192149174903

Cheers,

Andy C
Old 11-04-17, 06:48 PM

Nice to hear from you again Andy.

Its very faint but yes, I think you're right.

There most be more out there folks?

Many thanks, Ivan