British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-05-20, 04:29 PM

Default 18th Hussars - very large Victorian badge

Submitted for your consideration, this very large badge of the 18th Hussars. I have been unable to locate a similar item to determine either the period or specific use.

In addition to the images (below) I offer the following description:

- dead gilt finish, with bright burnished hand-chasing to highlights and lettering (some of the gilt, in areas, has gone adrift revealing the brass/gilding metal beneath)
- overall, very slightly domed/raising to the centre of the badge relative to the edges
- multi-piece construction. Central inserted oval with "XVIII HUSSARS" attached by four posts on reverse.
- badge measure 89 mm (3 1/2 inches) high X 92 mm (3 11/16 inches) wide
- four wire retaining lugs of the rounded exterior and flat interior type that, when formed, produce a round stem and inverted tear-drop shape. Lugs attached at top, bottom and each side of the badge. Lugs are moderate/standard in length at 9.5 mm, top to bottom, though sufficient to pass through several layer of cloth or leather, if such was their purpose.
- Guelphic crown on top
-the reverse indicates a casting. Average thickness, 1.5 mm; so not overly heavy or bulky, yet quite solid

Any information as regards authenticity, age and use would be most appreciated. Thank you.

with kindest regards,

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rfy.jpg (65.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg rfz.jpg (68.3 KB, 47 views)
Old 13-05-20, 09:09 PM

Officers Pouch Badge this one is on my website
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 14-05-20, 11:39 AM

Thank you, Malc. It is, indeed, very similar. Out of curiosity, is it of the same dimensions (89 mm (3 1/2 inches) high X 92 mm (3 11/16 inches) wide)? I'm wondering if the one I'm showing might be a little on the large size for a pouch badge, unless the 18th had a very large pouch?

all the best,

Tim