British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-04-20, 12:53 PM

Default Ayrshire Yeomanry, good or bad please

Still sifting through the collection on lockdown.
Your thoughts on this Ayrshire Yeomanry would be appreciated.
Thank you
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200429_124850557.jpg (76.5 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200429_124857228.jpg (71.3 KB, 74 views)
Old 29-04-20, 01:06 PM

It’s a fake I’m afraid.
Old 29-04-20, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Common fake with small 'of' and unvoided beard.
Old 29-04-20, 02:35 PM

Thank you chaps
Old 29-04-20, 02:51 PM

Where are you buying these badges from I wonder?
Old 29-04-20, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Where are you buying these badges from I wonder?
'These' badges? I bought this from no one, it was given to me a while back from my Dad's friend who ran a bric -a -brac stall years ago.

Chris
Old 29-04-20, 05:19 PM

Okay, I just wondered if this and the other badges, such as the RHG, for example, had all come from the same source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dg View Post
'These' badges? I bought this from no one, it was given to me a while back from my Dad's friend who ran a bric -a -brac stall years ago.

Chris
Old 29-04-20, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Okay, I just wondered if this and the other badges, such as the RHG, for example, had all come from the same source.
All from different places Frank, if I'd bought them from a dealer I'd name them.
I'm just going through my collection and seeing what looks dodgy and putting it on the forum.
All the best

Chris
Old 29-04-20, 06:45 PM

Another example of what I call the classic fake slider. While some original sliders are very similar, the color, overall form, and the bend give it away.

CB
Old 30-04-20, 02:24 PM

Just coming back to this one.
I've had this ( attached ), Ayrshire Yeomanry in my collection for a few years now, and always thought of it as good.
The reason for that is, when my Dad was in the Army, he got on well with the clothing storemen when he was stationed in Bovington.
I had just started collecting badges so my Dad asked the stores guys if they had anything going for free.
After a week they'd put together a lot of badges for me, all the cavalry, cap, collars, shoulder titles etc, mostly anodised but some Officers stuff too, also all of the Yeomanry at the time, cap, collars etc plus a few obsolete ones, very pleasing.
Anyway, this metal Ayrshire Yeomanry cap badge was in there.
I've studied it and it appears to be the same as the one in my OP, though a lot more shiny metal.
Your thoughts will be appreciated.
Thank you again

Chris

Last edited by 3dg; 30-04-20 at 02:41 PM.
Old 30-04-20, 02:27 PM

Sorry here are pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200430_150007503.jpg (100.6 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200430_150015523.jpg (109.1 KB, 45 views)
Old 02-05-20, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dg View Post
Just coming back to this one.
I've had this ( attached ), Ayrshire Yeomanry in my collection for a few years now, and always thought of it as good.
The reason for that is, when my Dad was in the Army, he got on well with the clothing storemen when he was stationed in Bovington.
I had just started collecting badges so my Dad asked the stores guys if they had anything going for free.
After a week they'd put together a lot of badges for me, all the cavalry, cap, collars, shoulder titles etc, mostly anodised but some Officers stuff too, also all of the Yeomanry at the time, cap, collars etc plus a few obsolete ones, very pleasing.
Anyway, this metal Ayrshire Yeomanry cap badge was in there.
I've studied it and it appears to be the same as the one in my OP, though a lot more shiny metal.
Your thoughts will be appreciated.
Thank you again

Chris
What year was this? I would bet my right arm 1970s or later. That die the badge is from is the fake produced to make reproduction badges. It bears all the stereotypical features such as rounded ToysRus lettering, coarse seeding, poor likeness to animals or beasts.

However, in the years since AA there has been a desire by some serving to wear metal badges. In some cases these were stocked and sold by the PRI shop. The manufacturers of these badges in a perverse twist of fate seems to be in at least some cases the erstwhile repro-ers.

So a ‘fake’ badge intended to imitate pre-195?’s issue GM badge now worn by present day squaddies in preference of their AA badge...
Old 02-05-20, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
What year was this? I would bet my right arm 1970s or later. That die the badge is from is the fake produced to make reproduction badges. It bears all the stereotypical features such as rounded ToysRus lettering, coarse seeding, poor likeness to animals or beasts.

However, in the years since AA there has been a desire by some serving to wear metal badges. In some cases these were stocked and sold by the PRI shop. The manufacturers of these badges in a perverse twist of fate seems to be in at least some cases the erstwhile repro-ers.

So a ‘fake’ badge intended to imitate pre-195?’s issue GM badge now worn by present day squaddies in preference of their AA badge...
I agree, I think it is a PRI shop badge maybe, it was late 1980's, my dad recalls, when he was attached to the AY as permanent staff in 78/79, they wore the QOY fox badge in their berets, while on exercise all the AY soldiers had a metal AY cap badge which they wore unofficially which was bought in the PRI, maybe one of those? How it got into a clothing store in Bovington is anyone's guess.
Cheers all
Chris