British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-09-16, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermil View Post
The epaulettes have a woven HMP and woven bar with a chrome / red crown.

The tunic has chrome plated HMP, chrome bar and chrome / red crown

The tunic also has holes where a second bar would have been prior to the crown being put on.
Hi Jermil,
I thought my eyes weren't deceiving me.
Depending on how good a terms you are on with the prison why not write to the Governor requesting if he could supply the information.All prison establishments keep records of joining ,promotion etc. and if you know the mans name even better, a covering letter from the family informing him that you are assisting them in establishing his service rank structure and not wanting any personal details they may tell you the info you require. We are only talking of about 60 years ago and Jersey is such a small establishment I wouldn't have thought it a difficult task.
Look forward to developments.
Hwyl,
Bantam
Old 28-09-16, 10:00 PM

Here's two photos of La Moye and Newgate CI Prison staff (not the good one I mentioned above - still looking for that).

PrisonStaffLaMoye a a a a.jpg

The second one is in a separate post underneath, as I can't seem to post two photos on one page?

You can see the Chief Officer sat at the front with the silver/chrome braid on his peak in the coloured one, and one or two of the others appear to have the black braid on their peak in both. I think the uniform is displayed in the black and white photo as well.

I'm still confused and maybe someone needs to get a magnifying glass out to have a look. But I think Jermils's uniform is definitely a PO's or possibly a CO II's, if they had that rank.
Old 28-09-16, 10:01 PM

Second photo

Jersey PrisonStaff 1975 poss 2.jpg

Seated, third from the left.
Old 28-09-16, 10:28 PM

Bantam is right. Contact the No.1 Governor, or another good route would be to contact the head of their staff union. They would probably love this as it is protecting the heritage and recognition of their fellow Officers. I believe there is even an Ex-Prison Officer's Association on the Island.

I think the staff union is either GMB or Unite etc - they don't have a POA (Prison Officers Association) Branch like here on the mainland.
Old 29-09-16, 08:04 PM

Officer seated 3rd from left is the officer whose uniform I have his name is Colin Noresse, I have written to the Governor and will see what turns up
Old 01-10-16, 07:45 PM

HMP La Moye 1987

HMP La Moye Jersey 1987.jpg
Old 01-10-16, 08:00 PM

These are the old NIPS rank bars I was talking about in my previous post that were used by Jersey as well I think.

20161001_172325.jpg
Old 08-10-16, 09:45 AM

Talking

Received a reply from the prison. Colin Noresse (Noddy) retired with the rank of Chief Officer 2 (Crown over 1 bar). The 2 bars were for Assistant Chief Officer.
Also got some free gifts to add to my collection including officers Epaulettes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (64.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 08-10-16, 09:58 AM

Strange that they should follow the NIPS rank system. Perhaps they at sometime in the past had a Governor (or similar) from the NIPS.

Dave.
Old 08-10-16, 10:05 AM

On the subject of Prison Service ranks etc. Friends interested in the subject may like to see the appended photo of a previous Commissioner of the Grenada Prison Service. Note the use of the current HMP (England & Wales) badge on the bottom of his epaulette. Whilst Grenada became independent from the UK many years ago HM The Queen is still head of state. Hence the use of the Crown on his uniform and also on the "generic" (for some islands), Caribbean cap badge. That particular badge comes in a variety of sizes and finishes. I think he may have been Deputy Commissioner when the photo was taken.

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Comm. Grenada Prisons..jpg (37.7 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by altcar73; 08-10-16 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-10-16, 07:11 PM

Great info so thanks Jermil, please let me know if you have any spares

Dave, I think SoSPS probably just used the same uniform supplier as the NIPS. We did indeed wear rank bars before barstuds/pips in this country as well.