British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-11-13, 09:56 AM

Paddy, As Phil said envious over the GDP badge. May I used your image for my wants list please?
Do we know if the GDP are using the one badge for all ranks or is there the two as before with the Security police & Services police?
If you come across another one............Have to get in before Phil asks. Saying that I have not seen a Gibraltar SECURITY Police inspectors badge "in the flesh" only a picture of one. Any one have one and can they show pictures please??
Chris,
The FIRMIN mark - is it the one on page 44 - Mark 2.1 FIRMIN (Large Letters) with clipped upper right hand vertical stroke of the letter ‘N’? Yes to that.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)

Last edited by engr9266; 17-11-13 at 10:08 AM.
Old 17-11-13, 10:20 AM

Jerry, I will take my Gib Security Police inspectors badge to Farnham on the 8th. I thought I had shown it to you already, my memory is going as the old age sets in

Chris, I will try and sort out reverse images for you shortly of my two services badges

Phil
Old 17-11-13, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
Paddy, As Phil said envious over the GDP badge. May I used your image for my wants list please?
Do we know if the GDP are using the one badge for all ranks or is there the two as before with the Security police & Services police?
If you come across another one............Have to get in before Phil asks. Saying that I have not seen a Gibraltar SECURITY Police inspectors badge "in the flesh" only a picture of one. Any one have one and can they show pictures please??
Chris,
The FIRMIN mark - is it the one on page 44 - Mark 2.1 FIRMIN (Large Letters) with clipped upper right hand vertical stroke of the letter ā€˜Nā€™? Yes to that.
Gibraltar Defence Police use the one cap badge for all ranks, apart from the Chief Officer (a Superintendent) who wears a bullion badge consisting of the Queen's Crown within a wreath. There are also GDP collar/epaulette badges which are identical to the MoD Police design apart from the wording.

Dave.
Old 17-11-13, 11:08 AM

Dave, Thanks for the reply and info. That is one less badge to look out for.
Jerry.
p.s. I don't suppose you have an e mail address for the GDP? Can't seem to find one any where.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 17-11-13, 11:13 AM

Dave, Is this the style of bullion badge worn by the senior officer of the GDP?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6 MOD senior officer fm 1993 bullion#.jpg (49.9 KB, 7 views)

JERRY
Old 17-11-13, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Dave, Is this the style of bullion badge worn by the senior officer of the GDP?
Jerry,

Yes, that's the one. I don't have an email address for the GDP but I think if you ask the MoD via their website they will probably provide you with one.

Dave.
Old 17-11-13, 11:31 AM

Duplicated post deleted

Last edited by Phil2M; 17-11-13 at 11:42 AM.
Old 17-11-13, 11:34 AM

I emailed the GDP via their own website, I never got a reply! Its setup as a facebook group.
Old 17-11-13, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
I emailed the GDP via their own website, I never got a reply! Its setup as a facebook group.
Hi Phil,
You could try writing to them? I'm certain that they are based with the Joint British Armed Services Police at British Forces Gibraltar, Joint Provost & Security Unit at HMS Roorke. I'd address it to the Gibraltar Defence Police section. Even if the address is wrong, Gibraltar is a small place and the defence estate even smaller, so pretty sure it will get where you want it to go!

Tony
Old 17-11-13, 12:53 PM

Cheers Tony, Jerry and I will both be putting pen to paper later

Jerry, attached front and back of the Gib Security Inspector badge.

Chris, pics of the reverse of my gib services badges. The Firmin mark is difficult to make out as the stamping is very light. It doesn't appear to have the clipped N.

Last edited by Phil2M; 06-07-14 at 01:05 PM.
Old 17-11-13, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Chris,
The FIRMIN mark - is it the one on page 44 - Mark 2.1 FIRMIN (Large Letters) with clipped upper right hand vertical stroke of the letter ā€˜Nā€™? Yes to that.
Thanks!!!
Old 17-11-13, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
Chris, pics of the reverse of my gib services badges. The Firmin mark is difficult to make out as the stamping is very light. It doesn't appear to have the clipped N.
Hi Phil,

Thanks - your mark looks like the 2.1 FIRMIN in small letters. This was one mark that I never fully resolved when I wrote the chapter on manufacturer's markings in my A/A book. The problem was that I never found it on an A/A badge attached to a pattern card nor on an A/A badge who's unit had either been disbanded or amalgamated which would have given an indication of its use before the disbandment etc. date.

All I could say was that it was approx. 6.35 x 1.25 mm and that:

'...This small letter format mark is often lightly stamped onto the slider and is quite rare. Date of use is unknown...'

Please note that the 'rare' applies to A/A badges which I was investigating at the time. The mark though, like others by Firmin, was also used on other types of modern badges.

The object of the exercise was to try and establish if the Gibraltar Service Police badges, which are accounted for in modern documentation, were actually made post 1990. The badges that I have, with their Dowler markings, were probably made during the 1980's. The small Firmin marked badge cannot be properly dated at the moment but the larger Firmin marking is, as I believe, from the 1990's onwards.

So to conclude; it looks like the green enamelled Inspectors badge, at least, was.

Many Thanks to all.

Regards

Chris
Old 11-04-15, 11:08 PM

I know it's not Police, but this is my Gib Prison badge. I'd love to see earlier examples.

IMG_0185.jpg
Old 07-10-16, 10:14 PM

Gents, does anyone have any examples of the lapel badges worn by Gib Police?
Old 08-10-16, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMPbadges View Post
Gents, does anyone have any examples of the lapel badges worn by Gib Police?
Attached see a pic. of the lapel badges worn by uniformed ranks in the Gibraltar Prison Service. The same badges are worn by Inspectors and above in the Royal Gibraltar Police.

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gib. Collars..jpg (80.7 KB, 11 views)