British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-06-08, 11:07 PM

Default Prison badges

Hi, I'm new to this site, just wondering if anyone else collects prison badges and insignia?
Old 20-06-08, 12:30 AM

Hi,

I got by "accident" two Québec prison guard badges

One cap badge.

One brest insignia.

The badge is the same as the province heraldry... that's what I wanted... the other came with it.

(PS. the second picture I took from Marway Militaria...)

I have some local police / security stuff... even a Mayor's badge??!!

Basicaly, if it's cheap I collect... the nice non-military bages.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prisonmontreal.jpg (89.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg pol56[1].jpg (95.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 20-06-08, 10:45 PM

Very nice badges Patrick, as a rule I only collect foreign items if they are remarkable and that breast badge truly is. Prison/Police shoulder patches are not worn in the UK, I always get offered these but cannot offer any, so I stick to all forms of metal insignia.
Old 21-06-08, 10:57 AM

Hi HMP,
Welcome to the Forum.I have just returned from an holiday in Minorca to discover your interest in HMP badges and insignia.I also collect.
Attached is a photo of the Edward V11 Hat Badge I have seen others in peoples collection that have purported to be genuine which weren't I can assure you this is a genuine one.Having viewed the badge at close up while the HMPrison collection was at Newbold Revel before moving to The National Galleries of Justice Museum Nottingham a good tip to spot a genuine one is the mark on the edge of it.
Regards
Bantam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Patination 2.jpg (46.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Patination 140508.jpg (39.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Patination 3.jpg (22.9 KB, 61 views)
Old 23-06-08, 12:45 AM

Bantam, I'm so sorry..... but that is not an EVIIR Warders cap badge. The EVIIR Warders badge is not void, it is all one piece of metal. When I work out how to post photos I shall post one on here.
Old 23-06-08, 11:25 AM

HMPbadges,
I disagree with you.As I have already stated I have seen the badge at Newbold and can confirm that this is a genuine badge.The provenance is that it belonged to a Chief Officer who was at Pentonville and was awarded the ISM which was also bought by myself.
There is also a photo page 129,in Francis Disney's BEM.Book," Shepton Mallet Prison-380 years of prison regimes" of staff wearing the badge.
Regards
Bantam.
Old 24-06-08, 12:03 AM

I'm so sorry but even though that may be a EVIIR crown, it is not an EVIIR Warders cap badge. The Warders cap badge was not void and all one bit of brass.
Old 24-06-08, 10:22 AM

HMPbadges,
I presume the you have seen the Prison Service Collection ? What do you base your information that it is not a genuine badge besides it being non voided given the provenance I have already stated regarding the badge?
Bantam
Old 24-06-08, 10:47 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Talking Prison Service Cap Badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMPbadges View Post
Hi, I'm new to this site, just wondering if anyone else collects prison badges and insignia?
Hi, I don't collect prison badges but I do have three to sell or trade in case anyone reading these posts may be interested, see pics.
Regards,
Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1488.jpg (97.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1490.jpg (96.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1494.jpg (101.4 KB, 34 views)
Old 24-06-08, 11:40 AM

davec2,
Thanks for posting photos but I already have these badges in my collection.As a matter of interest the last badge with the enameling is the male version badge the female version as a screw and pin fitting in place of the slider.
Regards
Bantam
Old 24-06-08, 11:30 PM

Good pics Dave, but these are the most commonly seen badges, and Bantam is very correct about the last one.

Bantam, I have a photo of the said badge (not from the Nat collection GOJ sitting right in front of me), the Nat collection is nothing like it was when it was at PSC Newbold Revel. A lot of people have told me that it is dipsplayed poorly now.

I also have several Edwardian photos of Warders showing this badge, the HUGE problem I have at the minute is getting pics up on this page. No disrespect to you and your badge, that is a good one, probably even a Principal or Chief Warders centre piece. But not a general Warders badge. Give me time and I shall post an example.
Old 25-06-08, 08:18 AM

Hi HMPbadges,
I did consider it being a Chief or Principal Officers Centre piece but at the period as you know they wore bullion badges.I have not visited The National Galleries of Justice but took every opportunity of visiting the collection while it was sited at The PSC Newbold Revel and over 27years I had many opportunities.
I would love to see the photo that you have of the badge it as always annoyed me that there as never been a book produced illustrating Staff Prison Insignia whilst every other service as.
Regards
Bantam

Last edited by Bantam; 25-06-08 at 03:04 PM. Reason: wrong word
Old 25-06-08, 08:31 AM

Default 25 Year Service.

Hi,
This is the Royal Mint produced badge presented to all prison staff who have served 25 years service.The recipients name is engraved on the edge of the badge.
The British Prison Service is the only service who are not awarded a medal for Good Conduct and Long Service although the award of one is under consideration at the moment.Records show that the award of a medal was considered 10 years ago to no avail.We will wait and see what happens ?
Bantam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25 year badge.JPG (15.2 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Bantam; 26-06-08 at 10:53 AM. Reason: delete word
Old 25-06-08, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMPbadges View Post
Good pics Dave, but these are the most commonly seen badges, and Bantam is very correct about the last one.

Bantam, I have a photo of the said badge (not from the Nat collection GOJ sitting right in front of me), the Nat collection is nothing like it was when it was at PSC Newbold Revel. A lot of people have told me that it is displayed poorly now.

I also have several Edwardian photos of Warders showing this badge, the HUGE problem I have at the minute is getting pics up on this page. No disrespect to you and your badge, that is a good one, probably even a Principal or Chief Warders centre piece. But not a general Warders badge. Give me time and I shall post an example.
Hi HMPbadges,
Further to your comments I would like to show you a photo of the badge when I originally received it.The patination was exactly as I had seen on the P.S. Collection and the size also matched the only problem was that it was missing its rear fixing pins.I decided to have them replaced and before sending it away took only one photo expecting to take others on its return. Unfortunately I found on its return the patina had been lost in restoring the pins.
It not having fitting pins also led me to believe that it quite possibly could have been a Chief or Principal Officers Badge had I not known those to be bullion type. To compound matters when I purchased it it also came with another in perfect order with its original long pins for fitting to 1869 shako hat but the patina whilst original did not have the same red richness that matched the other one or the ones in the P.S.Collection.
Here are the photos.1)Original before repair. 2)Other Badge 3)Back of other badge. 3) Long fitting pins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Prison Service Edwardian Cap Badge.Jpg (10.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg prison 001.jpg (37.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg prison 002.jpg (33.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg prison 003.jpg (27.8 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Bantam; 25-06-08 at 12:31 PM. Reason: addition
Old 25-06-08, 12:59 PM

Default Prison Badges

Hi All,
Here are the following order of cap badges worn until present.There is one ommission that being a female George V1.
Regards
Bantam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HMP Edward V111.jpg (39.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg King GV1.jpg (51.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg ER11 brass.jpg (56.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg ER11 annodised.JPG (54.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg HMP QC 1st Pattern.jpg (65.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg ER11 Female small.JPG (51.2 KB, 64 views)